'Asda' and 'Aldi' referred to tonight.

Comments

• norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Not nonsense at all, glad people have the courage to speak up about it.

Racism against whom? The children of grocers?

It is a very funny mishearing. Why are people so determined to manufacture offence when clearly none is intended? All that it does is trivialise the real issues and undermine those who seek to address them.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    What are their proper names anyway ?
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are their proper names anyway ?

Asha and Aadi???
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Not nonsense at all, glad people have the courage to speak up about it.

It's not courage, it's stirring a non-existent pot. ;)
  • EbealeEbeale Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes blatant racism. Hoping people complain to coronation street producer as i am ... similar to how eastenders gets complaints, :rolleyes:
    At least someone has a brain in this thread @ScreamingTree<3.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    Anyone who complains about something that is clearly not racist, really undermines true racism.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so determined to manufacture offence when clearly none is intended? All that it does is trivialise the real issues and undermine those who seek to address them.

Completely agree with this comment.
    Forum Member
    Ebeale wrote: »
    Yes blatant racism. Hoping people complain to coronation street as i am similar to how eastenders gets complaints, :rolleyes:

Can you please explain in precisely what way an elderly character mishearing two unfamiliar names is racist? It clearly isn't 'blatant' enough for me to pick up on.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The legend that is Dev is proud to be associated with these larger shops
  • daynajohndaynajohn Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Tbf when it comes to non English names many English folk get confused with pronunciation etc and I think the asda and aldi joke just highlights Gloria's ignorance and represents some other people of her generation I thought it was hilarious
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Ebeale wrote: »
    Yes blatant racism. Hoping people complain to coronation street producer as i am ... similar to how eastenders gets complaints, :rolleyes:

BIB: I think we've hit upon the root of this 'controversy' - move along, nothing to see here... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why and how the hell has this thread become about racism!? Seriously!
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you please explain in precisely what way an elderly character mishearing two unfamiliar names is racist? It clearly isn't 'blatant' enough for me to pick up on.

When I was little, I came home and told my Mum there was a boy in my class called ''Keyring.'' He was actually called Kieron, but as a child who had never heard the name before, I simply changed it (without knowing-I honestly believed that his name was keyring) into something which I was familiar with and which made sense to me. My parents still laugh about it to this day, because...well...it was funny :p

So I really can't understand why a character misunderstanding the names of two children (who don't happen to be white) in a soap, is considered racist. It's simply a play on words, and has nothing to do with their ethnic origin or background. It would have been just as funny if she'd said it about two white children with names she hadn't come across before.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    When I was little, I came home and told my Mum there was a boy in my class called ''Keyring.'' He was actually called Kieron, but as a child who had never heard the name before, I simply changed it (without knowing-I honestly believed that his name was keyring) into something which I was familiar with and which made sense to me. My parents still laugh about it to this day, because...well...it was funny :p

You filthy racist animal!!!!

Serious note though: Keyring!! :D:D:D
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if you can dish it out, you can expect people to speak up and say it's not ok.

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha!!!! :D
    Forum Member

So I really can't understand why a character misunderstanding the names of two children (who don't happen to be white) in a soap, is considered racist. It's simply a play on words, and has nothing to do with their ethnic origin or background. It would have been just as funny if she'd said it about two white children with names she hadn't come across before.

I did something similar about hotel rooms, of all things. Driving down to Cornwall for our holidays, I heard my mum telling my dad that she had booked 'Grey Day' rooms. I had happy visions of rooms that were filled with toys and playthings to keep us entertained if the weather wasn't good. I was dismayed when we arrived and there were no toys, etc. My Mum then had to explain to me what a 'Grade A' room really was. :(
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A man named his daughter "Facebook" so it's definatly possible someone would be named a shop. http://www.omg-facts.com/Celebs/An-Egyptian-Man-Named-His-Newborn-Daught/26927
  • topgooner100topgooner100 Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it on +1 hilarious thought of DS straight away genius whoever started it lol

As an Asian I don't find it racist at all just a bit of fun some take little things far too seriously I got called Mr Sheen alot because of my name never did I feel it was racist just some mucking about chill people this is meant to be a fun thread that's what I think anyway :)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL, great story! :D:D:D

Good post too. Makes the point perfectly. :cool:
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    You filthy racist animal!!!!

Serious note though: Keyring!! :D:D:D

My Dad honestly thinks it's the funniest thing ever. Every time the name Kieron comes up, he gets this big grin on his face and starts re-telling me the story (through hysterical laughter.) :o My parents even said to me at the time ''Are you sure his name isn't Kieron?'' and I was absolutely insistent that ''No, it's KEYRING! :mad: ''
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Love it!!
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad honestly thinks it's the funniest thing ever. Every time the name Kieron comes up, he gets this big grin on his face and starts re-telling me the story (through hysterical laughter.) :o My parents even said to me at the time ''Are you sure his name isn't Kieron?'' and I was absolutely insistent that ''No, it's KEYRING! :mad: ''

hahaha that's brilliant :D:D
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Why and how the hell has this thread become about racism!? Seriously!

Was just thinking the exact same thing.....Asda and Aldi comment had me smiling for the 1st time today....Corrie writers getting it right as always (bar the fiz/tyrone affair). Was such a surprise too!!
  • crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is making a joke about someones name classed as racism!? It really isn't! If people are that dimwitted to believe it anyway, it wasn't intentional either! I knew this would happen and i know there will bad sad pathetic people who have nothing better to do with their lives, will complain in the morning. You watch!