Recommendations for places to eat in Blackpool

sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello,

Going on a weekend trip to Blackpool next month staying in the North Shore area.

Day time - A nice café or similar to go for lunch, in or take away doesn't matter, must be near the amusements/attractions. Nothing to expensive or fancy

Evening - A short walk/Taxi ride away from our hotel on the North shore. Budget £100 max for 2 people with alcohol. Don't mind booking in advance if its worth it.

Any nice pubs/bars to go to at night, nothing to rowdy.

Anything else to recommend as its my first time there. I am going to the pleasure beach and will buy wristbands online unless you can advice getting it cheaper?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Try TripAdvisor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nicest (it could be argued, only nice) place in Blackpool is the Beachhouse Bistro & Bar, on the Promenade. (Opp. Church St.) It's very near the Blackpool Tower.

There's a dress-code. Smart casual. No Jeans or Trainers. Not suitable for the Hen Party crowd which swarm throughout the rest of the town.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cafes, restaurants, bistros, places like that what sell meals.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    AJ's bistro on topping street is great, they do go out of their way to please. It's a lovely little place, fresh, tasty food, nice decor and staff, it's also very reasonably priced :)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Try TripAdvisor.

:confused: why post to say that :confused: I am aware of trip advisor but I thought the good people of DS might have some suggestions
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    :confused: why post to say that :confused: I am aware of trip advisor but I thought the good people of DS might have some suggestions

Exactly :)

Besides Its best to hear a few recs then look at trip advisor.

You'd be on It all night looking for places.

I do like blackpool, sadly I haven't had the chance to check out clubs, we always have the kids, apart from AJs we usually have a quiet drink in the harvester place at the premier inn, they have a good soft play area, and unlimited refills of juice or pop!
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...but I thought the good people of DS might have some suggestions...

Yep. Don't bother and go somewhere nicer!

Sorry, couldn't help it. Blackpool has a polarizing effect on DS.

Sh'boobie made a good suggestion. I honestly can't think of anywhere else. B'pool is a bit of a hole.
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Quiligans which is just a little bit further up than the Winter Gardens has a good menu and is a great place to eat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Terra Nostra for the evening. The food is wonderful. It is on Red Bank Road.

For the daytime I would recommend Westcoast Rock Cafe. They have amazing burgers and are quite reasonable too.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time we went we got some food from a takeaway which was not much more than a hatch in the wall (close to Yates's by the Tower) called 'Simply Delicious'. We'd had a bit to drink and just wanted something cheap and cheerful and were recommended this place (apparently it's where all the taxi drivers go!).

We had some steak pie, chips and peas which we sat and ate in one of the seafront shelters and it was really very good. So, I'll recommend that to you for a straightforward takeaway. Hopefully it's still there!
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I don't have any specific recommendations but for the evening it could be worth looking at hotel restaurants- a lot of them are open to the general public, The Promenade restaurant at the Hilton looks nice.
  • oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a little bit unfair. A lot of people wouldn't be aware of tripadvisor, or that it was a useful place to find recommendations. We're not all 20 years old. The poster was only trying to be helpful, I'm sure.

I lived in Blackpool all my life until aged 21, and there's a couple of places I'd recommend.

For a start, don't worry about anywhere being in North Shore. If, as your post says, you're willing to take a "short taxi ride", then frankly, the whole of Blackpool's your oyster.

That said, I've only got one recommendation: best place to eat in the whole of Blackpool, bar none, is The Cottage Chippy. It's in Marton, which is South Shore (quick cab ride away), and it's frequented by all the big stars when they come to the resort (as evidenced by the photos on the walls).

They serve all kinds of beautiful, locally and freshly caught fish, and they offer it in about six different sizes and all kinds of batter options (or not battered at all, if that's your preference). Of course, there are also non-fish options, as well as a great kids' menu. It has a quaint, countryside-feel eat-in area.

As I say, that's my only firm recommendation (and I've lived in Blackpool most of my life). I can't help but be sceptical of any other suggestions - there's a lot of chavvy crap out there, I'm afraid.

ETA website: http://www.cottagefishandchips.co.uk/
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Try TripAdvisor.

Yes, the sheer audacity of somebody recommending a website that's full of restaurant/eatery reviews of places in Blackpool. Hangings too good for them :rolleyes:

Try The Castle Pub, I'm sure you'll like it.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a half decent Wetherspoon up by the North Shore.The Leyton Rakes or something.Its on the first road parallel to the prom towards the North Pier.At least you know what your getting in a Wetherspoons and the drinks are quite reasonable.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Topping St you've got the aforementioned AJ's Bistro, which is very nice indeed and two Thai restaurants which are very good; Wah Wah's and Boonak. There is also Mama's Italian, which a lot of people like but I think is a bit underwhelming. There is a Yorkshire Fisheries chippy that has a takeaway and a sit down side, they do nice fish and chips in there.

Round the corner on King St is Kwizeen. The road is a bit nitty and not terribly nice, but that is a very good restaurant.

The Empress Grill in The Winter Gardens is well priced and the food is lovely.

Tiramisu on Abingdon St is my pick for an Italian.

There are a number of good cafes on Cedar Square; I like Lounge, but you'd have to be very picky not to find one on there that you liked.

On Queen St is Nunzio's Italian which is always good. Don't eat there on a Friday or Saturday night unless you like walking among plastered lunatics from out of town on Stag and Hen Nights.

Michael Wan's Mandarin on Clifton St is absolutely epic, if you like Chinese food.

Othello's on Talbot Road is a Greek restaurant. It's owned by the people who had The Med on Church St. Many a Kleftiko I've had in there!

My favourite Indian place is Michaels, in Thornton, that's definitely a taxi job. (All the rest on here are just in wandering distance of North Pier, in North Shore)

Toast on Corporation St is a nice place for lunch. As is Stefano's on Birley St.

And If you manage to spend a hundred quid for two people with wine in any of those places, I'll be highly amazed. Unless you routinely order a bottle of scotch with your dinner.
    Each.
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Going on a weekend trip to Blackpool next month staying in the North Shore area.

Day time - A nice café or similar to go for lunch, in or take away doesn't matter, must be near the amusements/attractions. Nothing to expensive or fancy

Evening - A short walk/Taxi ride away from our hotel on the North shore. Budget £100 max for 2 people with alcohol. Don't mind booking in advance if its worth it.

Any nice pubs/bars to go to at night, nothing to rowdy.

Anything else to recommend as its my first time there. I am going to the pleasure beach and will buy wristbands online unless you can advice getting it cheaper?

Thanks guys :)

if you can't find a chippie then you aren't looking! :D
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all recommendations I'll have a look at some of these places online. I like go view menus before I go
  • rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we go to Blackpool, we always go to the mayflower by the north pier. Always had a good meal there but the menu is very limited for a Chinese.
    If you want Fish and Chips, go to Dave and Sue's chippy on the corner of Kent Road. Their Yorkshire fishcakes are out of this world.
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    On Topping St you've got the aforementioned AJ's Bistro, which is very nice indeed and two Thai restaurants which are very good; Wah Wah's and Boonak. There is also Mama's Italian, which a lot of people like but I think is a bit underwhelming. There is a Yorkshire Fisheries chippy that has a takeaway and a sit down side, they do nice fish and chips in there.

Round the corner on King St is Kwizeen. The road is a bit nitty and not terribly nice, but that is a very good restaurant.

The Empress Grill in The Winter Gardens is well priced and the food is lovely.

Tiramisu on Abingdon St is my pick for an Italian.

There are a number of good cafes on Cedar Square; I like Lounge, but you'd have to be very picky not to find one on there that you liked.

On Queen St is Nunzio's Italian which is always good. Don't eat there on a Friday or Saturday night unless you like walking among plastered lunatics from out of town on Stag and Hen Nights.

Michael Wan's Mandarin on Clifton St is absolutely epic, if you like Chinese food.

Othello's on Talbot Road is a Greek restaurant. It's owned by the people who had The Med on Church St. Many a Kleftiko I've had in there!

My favourite Indian place is Michaels, in Thornton, that's definitely a taxi job. (All the rest on here are just in wandering distance of North Pier, in North Shore)

Toast on Corporation St is a nice place for lunch. As is Stefano's on Birley St.

And If you manage to spend a hundred quid for two people with wine in any of those places, I'll be highly amazed. Unless you routinely order a bottle of scotch with your dinner.
    Each.
    :D

I'll be saving this post when I get my pc working again!

I'm sure aj do a 2 course meal with wine for
    £40 I think a couple :D

Big portions too, lol. Trams rock!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    oxfordruse wrote: »

That said, I've only got one recommendation: best place to eat in the whole of Blackpool, bar none, is The Cottage Chippy. It's in Marton, which is South Shore (quick cab ride away), and it's frequented by all the big stars when they come to the resort (as evidenced by the photos on the walls).

They serve all kinds of beautiful, locally and freshly caught fish, and they offer it in about six different sizes and all kinds of batter options (or not battered at all, if that's your preference). Of course, there are also non-fish options, as well as a great kids' menu. It has a quaint, countryside-feel eat-in area.

As I say, that's my only firm recommendation (and I've lived in Blackpool most of my life). I can't help but be sceptical of any other suggestions - there's a lot of chavvy crap out there, I'm afraid.

ETA website: http://www.cottagefishandchips.co.uk/

I would have recommended there a year or so ago but they have really really gone downhill. It is a shame because it was my fave place ever. Their home made tartare sauce is amazing.
    Forum Member
    As for the pleasure beach, you might get a discount online, we just paid on the day, we were going with the weather, the grand national is still scary lol!