Best Freeview HD set-top boxes?

We currently have a Freeview box (Humax I think) but it's quite old now and we'd like to upgrade to something similar but with the following requirements:

- HD
- Ability to record two programmes at once

I think that's all we require but need advice on the best deals and the best boxes we can get. There seems to be so many out there at the moment?

Is there a link to Which? or somewhere analysing different set-top boxes?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax.

That is all you need to know :D

HDR Fox-T2 for "normal" Freeview or the DTR-T1000 if you want the YouView add on for catch up TV and other internet based services.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I'll second Humax......Not bettered yet....IMHO..
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,503
    Forum Member
    All the Freeview HD boxes I have seen are a big step back in usablity from the best of the previous generation of SD boxes. In particular Humax has one of the clunkiest UI's I have ever used. They seem to go that extra mile to make it awkward and slow to do the simplest things.
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    All the Freeview HD boxes I have seen are a big step back in usablity from the best of the previous generation of SD boxes. In particular Humax has one of the clunkiest UI's I have ever used. They seem to go that extra mile to make it awkward and slow to do the simplest things.

Like what...?
    Forum Member
    Mininimum of *six* key presses to delete a recording and then go make cup of coffee while it does it.
  • PeppermintHippoPeppermintHippo Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Humax.

That is all you need to know :D

HDR Fox-T2 for "normal" Freeview or the DTR-T1000 if you want the YouView add on for catch up TV and other internet based services.

Can you record two programmes at once on the DTR-T1000 (or watch one and record one?)
    Forum Member
    You can even record two and watch a third (as long as the third is on one of the same MUXes as the programmes being recorded).
  • PeppermintHippoPeppermintHippo Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    You can even record two and watch a third (as long as the third is on one of the same MUXes as the programmes being recorded).

MUXes??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MUXes??
    MUX, abbreviation for multiplex. The digital channels are grouped together in six muxes, five carrying SD channels and one for the HD channels.

I know from personal experience that you can record two of the four HD channels and watch a third HD channel at the same time using the Humax. I also think I have used it to record an SD channel, an HD channel and watch a different HD channel at the same time on one occasion.
    Forum Member
    Mininimum of *six* key presses to delete a recording and then go make cup of coffee while it does it.

I suspect you aren't using it correctly....
    Forum Member
    You suspect wrong.
    Forum Member
    You suspect wrong.

There is no way it takes 6 or more key presses to delete a programme....
    But hey, if you have a routine, who am I to disrupt it...:)
    Forum Member
    I take it you have never used one as you seem so sure.
    Forum Member
    I take it you have never used one as you seem so sure.
    Oh well! If you are going to be silly..................:sleep:
  • moogheadmooghead Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is actually a fantastic deal... If it wasn't for the fact it needs to be wired to your router I would buy one right now.

Get with the times Youview
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I think it's one of those offers that is available in theory only. I checked on the Currys website and there isn't one available within at least 100 miles of me!

Perhaps you'll be lucky and happen to live near the only UK store that actually has one!
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mooghead wrote: »
    This is actually a fantastic deal... If it wasn't for the fact it needs to be wired to your router I would buy one right now.

Just use Homeplugs
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hurt Panasonic does not get a mention!
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You suspect wrong.

Not so sure.

Menu - left - up - clear

There, bottom item in the list of recorded programmes deleted in 4 keypresses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    Not so sure.

Menu - left - up - clear

There, bottom item in the list of recorded programmes deleted in 4 keypresses.
    What box are you talking about? You don't do that on a Fox-T2.:confused:

On a Fox-T2once the required recording has been selected the quickest way to delete is

OPT+
    OK on Delete (should be highlighted)
    Left to select YES
    OK
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Freeview HD Box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Humax HDR Fox T2. Around £190-£200 for 500Gb model, around £239 for 1Tb model.
    Supports recording two programmes at the same time, and watching a third channel from one of the same muxes being recorded. If both recordings are on the same mux only one tuner is used for both recordings, allowing you to watch any other Freeview or Freeview HD channel too.

Supports DLNA out of the box, allowing you to watch content from your PC via your home network. Doesn't have built in wireless, but you can purchase a Wireless bridge or use homeplugs if your PC is in another room. Humax also make a wireless dongle for use with the box which is about £30-£40. Excellent remote too. Limited catch up services.

Well respected and reliable. Custom (but unsupported) firmware is also available adding a few other tricks, such as allowing encrypted HD content to be unencrypted and copied to a PC for archiving.

Humax YouView Recorder. £250 for the 500Gb model and £299 for the 1Tb model
    Very similar to the HDR Fox T2, but supports YouView on demand services. Doesn't (currently) have DLNA though.

Good reviews, easy to use. Remote a bit cheap and plasticy but works fine. Extra content available if you're a BT customer or Talk Talk customer (although TT make it a bit difficult and tend to insist the extra content is only available if they supply the box).

Advanced EPG that allows you to scroll backwards, and watch something already broadcast. Click PLAY and it will access the appropriate catch up service and play the programme if it is available automatically.

Digitalstream DHR 8205 £180 for the 500Gb model.
    Based on same basic platform as the Humax. Very reliable and well respected. Doesn't support DLNA but does support same twin recording features as Humax. Supports custom add ons, but only one currently available that adds rudimentary network media sharing from the box to a PC and other devices that support Samba. Only catch up service supported is BBC Iplayer via the red button.

Cheap and plasticy remote with small buttons, but it works well enough. Excellent support despite being three years old now from MIT (UK distributor/manufacturer). New firmware due soon that adds new features, including auto/manual padding of timer recordings for example.

If you can afford it, and don't need DLNA featrues, I'd say go for the Humax Youview recorder.

If Youview doesn't appeal then either the HDR Fox T2 or the Digitalstream are excellent machines. Which one to choose comes down to your budget and whether or not you'll use the DLNA features of the Humax.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have you actually used a HDR FOX T2. ? :confused:

Programme deletion is a background process, no need to wait for anything. You can action deletes without waiting for any existing ones to complete. :confused:

Deletion of a programme you have just watched takes 4 presses via opt + (opt+ OK left OK) , and 4 via the OK button.