Options

Shameless Jo - I'm not sorry and I'd do it again

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    susie4964 wrote:
    That's probably true, to the extent that they can choose the camera feed, but I refuse to believe that at the beginning of the show, Endemol have already decided who to demonise. Unless you're suggesting that Jo didn't actually say what she said (particularly the remark about Indians being thin because they couldn't cook chicken properly, which Jo herself has admitted), I don't see that it matters if they edit the live feed. Fact is, she said it, and other nasty things as well, but doesn't seem to think it was wrong. Doesn't matter if she acted like the Virgin Mary for the rest of the show. We all say nasty and stupid things at times, but most of us have the brains to realise it and apologise.

She was joking. If it had been a Scot, Welsh, English or Irish person she`d probably have said the same thing.

And the fact remains - that particular chicken was undercooked. I wouln`t have touched it with a bargepole. Undercooked chicken can do you a serious damage.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    I don`t see why Jo should admit to something that she feels she didn`t do. That`s up to her.

You don`t agree with her. Fine.

She has ADMITTED she did it!!!! What we're debating here is whether or not it's wrong to say that Indians are thin because they can't cook. Jo thinks that's absolutely fine, unfortunately a lot of people disagree. All Jo has to say is that she doesn't feel she was racist/bullying, but she apologises if anyone thinks she was, but she's too dumb even to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    susie4964 wrote:
    She has ADMITTED she did it!!!! What we're debating here is whether or not it's wrong to say that Indians are thin because they can't cook. Jo thinks that's absolutely fine, unfortunately a lot of people disagree. All Jo has to say is that she doesn't feel she was racist/bullying, but she apologises if anyone thinks she was, but she's too dumb even to do that.

I`m talking about admitting to making a racist remark. It was a joke. She meant it as a joke. As I said before - she`d probably have said the same remark to any nationality.

And, at the end of the day, that chicken was seriously undercooked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they can twist things in newspaper interviews and often do. I know the highlights are edited to within an inch of their life to favour whoever they feel like favouring that day. I know there is a delay on the live feed and there are sound dips constantly.

However, I am not so naive that I can't see that the way Jo is hasn't been totally fabricated. She said those things and most of them were not taken out of context.

At the very least you can't make it look like someone is constantly lying on the sofa chain smoking in a dressing gown with unwashed hair when they're not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    She was joking. If it had been a Scot, Welsh, English or Irish person she`d probably have said the same thing.

Are you serious? Dont you understand why that particular remark was so offensive?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nightstar wrote:
    Are you serious? Dont you understand why that particular remark was so offensive?

It didn`t offend me. I took it the way it was meant - as an off-the-cuff joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    It didn`t offend me. I took it the way it was meant - as an off-the-cuff joke.

Says it all really.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they find out later it was to do with putting the oven on a grill setting insted of anoven setting, it was nothing to do with how quick she cooked it.. I thought the interview if quoted correctly was distasteful, what an arrogant madam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nightstar wrote:
    Says it all really.

And what exactly does it say?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie4964 wrote:
    Haven't read all of the thread, sorry if it's been mentioned before, but it is sad to see Jo taking refuge in the "bad editing" line. Apparently she hasn't realised that there is such a thing as a live feed, and for virtually her whole time in the house she chain smoked, bitched and lay around in that dressing gown. I'm sorry that she doesn't think she's done anything wrong, but if she had a shred of self-awareness in the first place, she wouldn't have behaved as she did.
    If she had more self-awareness, she wouldn't have gone in there in the first place. She'd have known that

• her moments of comedy gold impersonating Indian accents with her family might cause offence on edited tv.
    • walking around in her comfort clobber all day with a cigarette welded to her fingers might be all well & good at home, but appearing like that on tv could make her look like someone desperated to get back to "A Life of Grime".
    • talking about sex in terms of being given "a good pounding" might go down a roaring treat amongst her friends, but on tv makes her sound rougher than Frank Butcher's tonsils.
    Never thought I'd ever be in a position to do this, but if you look at the lyrics to that Bucks Fizz classic "My Camera Never Lies", the song could have been written for Jo's CBB experience. "My camera never lies, so I’ll put you in the picture and cut it down to size (my camera oh oh), My camera never lies anymore, ‘cos there’s nothing worth lying for".

Perhaps she'll release "Cry Me A River" on the back of this. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Caged KittyCaged Kitty Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    I`d be more likely to ask - what does it say about him? How much money did he get paid for his interview?

And - to contradict his entire interview - he says at the end that Jo is close to his five children and best mates with his eldest child!

How in gods name does this CONTRADICT his interview????????

It is just something he states in his interview and contradicts nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How in gods name to this CONTRADICT his interview????????

It is just something he states in his interview and contradicts nothing.

Because he`s claiming she made racist remarks, but then he claims she`s very close to his children. If she was a racist would she be close to those children? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    I`m talking about admitting to making a racist remark. It was a joke. She meant it as a joke. As I said before - she`d probably have said the same remark to any nationality.

And, at the end of the day, that chicken was seriously undercooked.

From what we could see it was cooked.

As for jokes. Using the what do you throw a drowning Asian Joke? It's a joke

It still a very offensive joke. jo was not attempting to be anything other than hositle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    In an interview with Radio 5 while she was in the house her sister defended her behaviour. She said she didn't think she was racist and said that she thought Jo had been bullied at school and was so scared about Jade before going into the house that she'd been cowed by Jade when she was in.

She near enough said that Jo had joined the bullies rather than risk being bullied and said that she didn't condone that kind of behaviour.

This rang true to me - I don't think Jo ro Danielle had any dislike for Shilpa prior to Jade's arrival and that Jade has a strong character that drew the two young idiots to her.

True or not - it doesn't excuse the behaviour (and it certainly doesn't excuse DL's "she should F- off home" comment) but it seems odd to me that Jo isn't now saying the same thing.

If her sister saw it as bullying and offered a sympathetic explanation at the time surely she should explain to Jo that that's what it looked like.

Jo's version of events doesn't make any sense. If her laughter was nervous laughter brought on by the tension, why does she follow up Oxo-gate by declaring, "That's made my day that has."

It takes a mean spirited person to actually enjoy that row.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo's 'comedy' Indian accent and statement about Indians being thin because they didn't cook their food properly and were always ill were blatantly racist. There is no grey area.

Too true.. and whatever reasons they use it is the underlying readson they ganged up.

However right under that article is an interview with her Indian cousin by marriage who is disgusted with her...!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    And what exactly does it say?

That you fail to grasp why some people found her remark offensive.

So if an English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish person had undercooked a chicken you think Jo would have made the 'No wonder they're so thin' remark - why would that be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jilly wrote:
    Didn't they find out later it was to do with putting the oven on a grill setting insted of anoven setting, it was nothing to do with how quick she cooked it..
    Something like that. I remember Davina saying when that was shown "No apology for Shilpa, then?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeanniexxx wrote:
    I'd rather leave that to the Hertfordshire police - and whoever informed them.

Jo was just someone in a pop group to me ...didn't know much about her, still don't, and tbh ... don't want to after seeing her on CBB.

I'm more interested in why C4 showed it tbh.

C4 have said it themsleves over and over...ratings dear ratings....!!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I can say to that is that she isnt saying what she thinks people want to hear, she isnt shamelessy trying to save her career and touting about tears and hollow words everywhere. Jade disgusted me with the way she handled it, at least jo isnt trying to get around it to get fame again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From what we could see it was cooked.

As for jokes. Using the what do you throw a drowning Asian Joke? It's a joke

It still a very offensive joke. jo was not attempting to be anything other than hositle.

I was watching the live feed throughout chickengate. The chicken was undercooked. It had to be put back into the oven three times before it was cooked - and even then Danielle said she saw blood coming from the legs.

I wouldn`t have eaten it - would you?

And I don`t get your drowning Asian thing? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geraniums still defending the indefensible.

:rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath if you are looking for a honest debate with the above.

You're right, think I'll go and bang my head against the wall instead. :D
  • Options
    Caged KittyCaged Kitty Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geraniums wrote:

And the fact remains - that particular chicken was undercooked. I wouln`t have touched it with a bargepole. Undercooked chicken can do you a serious damage.

Firstly had she made that comment about any other race it would have been seen as derogatory and thus racist.

Secondly BB confirmed in the footage that the chicken was cooked for 2 hours 10 minutes. FACT IF YOU COOK A CHICKEN FOR 2 HOURS 10 MINUTES IT IS OVER COOKED AND NOT UNDERCOOKED. Not one of those who did eat it ended up having "serious damage".
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Jo has walked out to this situation totally unbriefed, I can understand why she is taking this position. She's hardly had any time to get her head round the public reaction to what had happened in the house. At the moment she probably feels defensive, and stubbornly refuses to contemplate that what she did was wrong.

In a few days, and especially once she's talked to her family and friends and found that they too are disgusted by her actions, I suspect her stubbornness might break down, but the damage is now done and probably irrepairable. I think she's in for a very painful time, and I find it impossible to avoid feeling sorry for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firstly had she made that comment about any other race it would have been seen as derogatory and thus racist.

Secondly BB confirmed in the footage that the chicken was cooked for 2 hours 10 minutes. FACT IF YOU COOK A CHICKEN FOR 2 HOURS 10 MINUTES IT IS OVER COOKED AND NOT UNDERCOOKED. Not one of those who did eat it ended up having "serious damage".

The chicken initially was undercooked. It was placed back into the oven three times before it was cooked. FACT. :rolleyes:

I think only two people ate it in the end - Ian and Shilpa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geraniums wrote:
    Because he`s claiming she made racist remarks, but then he claims she`s very close to his children. If she was a racist would she be close to those children? :rolleyes:
    I think he's saying he can't understand her behaviour because of the closeness, & that their existence & relationship is even more reason why she should apologise. I've had people say in front of me that they can't stand black people because of X, "but you're alright", & then wonder what they've said that I object to. The relationship with the children doesn't minimise her behaviour - it condemns it.