Options

Homemade Mincemeat

c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Every year I always make my own mincemeat for mince pies and various other dishes for the Christmas period.

The recipe I use has always been Delia Smiths, and in the past it has always turned out nice and gone down well with everyone that has tried it.

This year though something went wrong. I used the exact same recipe as always, cooked slowly in the slow cooker, but this year the mincemeat smelled funny while cooking.
Upon tasting, the mincemeat also had this horrible strange taste, with a bitter after taste.
It was not pleasant at all, and lacked any taste or smell of Christmas.

Thinking that I must have done something wrong, as the sultanas that were used had been open for a couple of months, so I wondered if these had gone stale and affected the taste and smell of the mincemeat.
I made a fresh batch with all fresh ingredients and the same thing happened. This time I noticed that the smell arrived once the slow cooker had warmed up, and my suspicion turned to the suet was affecting the taste and the smell.
The finished mincemeat again smelled and tasted disgusting, so was binned.

Searching the internet, I found an adaption of Delia Smiths recipe which used butter instead of suet. Following the recipe again, but using butter, the mincemeat has turned out perfect.

Has anyone else noticed a problem like this with their homemade mincemeat this year and are using suet, or have you had a problem like this in the past?

I find it strange that I've not encountered this before and I wonder if Atora have changed something with their suet this year.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make mine with vegetarian suet (atora) worked well just as normal this year. I use a saucepan on the hob and all fresh ingredients, if I have anything needs using up I don't put it in this recipe as it's important that it lasts once cooked.