Options

Constantine

Comments

• Options
    welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grovelling apologies. I'll never dare show my face in Tenby again. :cry:

Maybe it wos the bizarre cocktail of Scouse and Cockney that put me off me game. :cool:

Russell Crowe couldn't have done a more impressive wandering accent.

Arrr Tenby brings back good memories of childhood holidays !

Yes the wandering accent might have been to blame ;-)
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the newest episode. I'm really enjoying this show. Shame that the viewer count is going down each week. Hopefully it'll have a good enough ending so that it could come back in the future. Matt Ryan is fantastic as Constantine, and I would hate for this to be the first and final season we get of this show. The cast is great.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the newest episode. I'm really enjoying this show. Shame that the viewer count is going down each week. Hopefully it'll have a good enough ending so that it could come back in the future. Matt Ryan is fantastic as Constantine, and I would hate for this to be the first and final season we get of this show. The cast is great.

I'm enjoying this too, but have never read the comics. I like all the cast members as well.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Interesting article here about how Constantine has been neutered for TV:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/the-real-difference-between-john-constantine-hellblazer-and-constanteen-look-it-moves-by-adi-tantimedh/

In case anyone's interested.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting article here about how Constantine has been neutered for TV:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/12/the-real-difference-between-john-constantine-hellblazer-and-constanteen-look-it-moves-by-adi-tantimedh/

In case anyone's interested.

That was great. This character would only work on cable or as a independent film where the true character could shine. He is almost as bad as the demons he chases and that is why he is so good at his work. It is such a shame because he is such an interesting character.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally had some time to catch up and am still enjoying it. It is still similar to Supernatural but I think I like John's character more than the Winchesters; the greater cynicism and Britishness helps :)

I've not read the comics either but one concern people had with the show before it started airing was it would be neutered for network television and clearly that must occur to appeal to a broader audiences. However it's interesting that things like his smoking has actually made the cut, something that seemed like it may not make it, and I think the character overall is finding it's feet. I expect the producers will continue to push the barriers to get more of the original into the show over time.

EDIT: The article talking about the show was very interesting to read. I didn't know it was being shown in the dead-end slot of a Friday night :S Hopefully NBC will let the producers have a proper go at it before cancelling.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the article was an interesting and enlightening read, especially for someone like me who hasn't read anything about the character. The explanation of the Hunger Demons (can't write that now w/o reverting to Hunger Games. Humph!) was a good one. And if they had stuck with the original story,it would have made a better episode. Looking back on that episode now, it does looks like a whole bunch of flesh-eating zombies w/o a deeper psycho-spiritual/metaphysical theme attached to it.

I guess a Constantine proper is just too dark for a network audience. But a network Constantine is just too tame for those who know the character from the graphic novels or are looking for something more horrifying and deeply disturbing.

And now the same-team (well, David S. Goyer anyway) wants to do a Superman prequel - Krypton. I say, good luck with that if Constantine is anything to go by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Yeah, the article was an interesting and enlightening read, especially for someone like me who hasn't read anything about the character. The explanation of the Hunger Demons (can't write that now w/o reverting to Hunger Games. Humph!) was a good one. And if they had stuck with the original story,it would have made a better episode. Looking back on that episode now, it does looks like a whole bunch of flesh-eating zombies w/o a deeper psycho-spiritual/metaphysical theme attached to it.

I guess a Constantine proper is just too dark for a network audience. But a network Constantine is just too tame for those who know the character from the graphic novels or are looking for something more horrifying and deeply disturbing.

And now the same-team (well, David S. Goyer anyway) wants to do a Superman prequel - Krypton. I say, good luck with that if Constantine is anything to go by.

From what I have read Krypton is just a one hour film. If it does become a series don't try and go for 22 eps. He is also apparently doing shadow land for NBC so it looks like they still are trying to find a dark story. The 100 is showing horrible stuff at 9.00 and Hannibal is grisly so I don't know why they can't show the real Constsntine universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the new episode. It was much better than the others but certain things still bother me. All the women still seem like there for pin ups. I knew the instant I saw the character who the villainess was: it would have been better as a surprise.

Chas still comes across as wooden. I read an article
    with the actor where he said he had a voice coach on hand as the character was supposed to be British. He just looks out of character.
    The swapping episodes was a bad idea as shows constantly think their audience are too dumb to notice. When you are in a difficult time slot you have to hit the ground running. They say ep 7 to 10 set a high bar but ep 1 to 5 should have done that. The actor said they had a slow start,: you can't afford that on network TV.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the last episode for 2014. Really can't wait for part two next year! Great way to end it with a bit of suspense. I'm really enjoying this show, and hope another channel/streaming service will pick it up for a season 2.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratings up this week.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good ep, but...

... what happened to all the traps in the house?
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^maybe her going out negated them and they never got reset when she returned, or he brought some anti-trap device in with him when she let him in.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Good ep, but...

... what happened to all the traps in the house?

JC: "I'll turn the traps on on my way out. The House will keep you safe as long as you don't leave it".

Zed leaving the house would have turned the traps off.
  • Options
    varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Ratings up this week.

Good to hear, as the show seems to be finding it's groove, fleshing John's character out.

I thought the first part of the 'The Saint of Last Resorts' was excellent.

The one thing about the series that I think would be good is to add more of a stylised feel to it, as is the case with Gotham, to heighten the occult and comic book sensibility.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Ratings up this week.
    Yeah. There were rumors that NBC regretted not committing to more episodes THIS year to a full 22 season BUT then the first set of ratings came out which weren't all too good. AND since November, the ratings in the States have been going up which is why NBC supposedly having regrets about making it a 22 season run. Anyway, there's a good chance it'll get a full order for Fall 2015.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I really hope that NBC do give Constantine the chance of a second season as it is showing a lot of potential and it doesn't seem to be doing badly in the death slot

Is there another episode on Friday in the US or was the last episode the break before Christmas?
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    1 more episode, then a break :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks so I guess it will be last four episodes in the new year to finish off the first season then

Hopefully we don't have to wait long to find out about a second season
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the next episode? I've seen boxing day and i've seen january 5th. Which is it, anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Friday at 10pm on NBC in the US and on Amazon on Saturday morning in the UK
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers. Never trust wiki I guess lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it seems a few sites have the wrong date for episode 9 as IMDB has episode 9 airing on the 9th January 2015

Unless they know something that we don't!
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvrage has it Jan 9th too. - along with Banshee s3 opening ep. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just checked the NBC website and it says that Constantine is back on the 9th January with Episode 9

I had previously asked the question if Episode 8 was the last episode before the winter break but a previous poster said that there was one episode left.It seems like that poster was wrong!

I shouldn't have believed the previous poster and just trusted what I had read myself online!