LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Gorilla glass will still scratch .......

Not under a cover surely? :D
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I have that for my Nexus 7 but it says incompatible with the Nexus 4 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en
    Oops, so it does - apologies. I've only ever tried it on the Nexus 7, and only a few times at that - to be honest I tend to find other ways of getting files onto my phone/tablet these days.

The main handy use (and therefore, I guess, the main annoyance that it's both missing and seemingly non-replicable on the Nexus 4) is transferring photos from memory card onto the tablet when on holiday - mainly as a backup, but obviously for social media purposes too if that floats your boat.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Not under a cover surely? :D

My guess is a bit of dirt or something must have gotten beneath the cover.

These are extremely light scratches I am talking about btw, as in only viewable at certain angles under certain light. The worry is that in 12 months time there will be many more of them.

I guess replacement backs will be available at some point and it looks easy enough to replace so that will always be an option.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no update since ordering. Why are other people who ordered same time or after getting theirs already? :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no update since ordering. Why are other people who ordered same time or after getting theirs already? :mad:

Yeah this happened last time too :(

I'm unsure why Google don't deal with orders in a sequential order.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00499DMRQ/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

This looks good value. Got BT Infinity 2 as well, so should be able to stream content on the go quite well to the Nexus, specially when in a three High speed DC HSPA area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's annoying, I've even got my micro SIM sorted and a case picked out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's annoying, I've even got my micro SIM sorted and a case picked out.

Most of the cases i've seen look horrible. :mad:Be a shame to ruin the look of the phone but then, do I wan't scratches? Well, no, so gotta pick up a case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Most of the cases i've seen look horrible. :mad:Be a shame to ruin the look of the phone but then, do I wan't scratches? Well, no, so gotta pick up a case.

Yeah I think the official bumper is probably the best looking case.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have that for my Nexus 7 but it says incompatible with the Nexus 4 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en

Why does an app that works on the nexus 7 not work on the nexus 4? I thought they were cross capatable.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Why does an app that works on the nexus 7 not work on the nexus 4? I thought they were cross capatable.

The app itself will load but the issue is the Nexus 4 doesn't support USB OTG which is what this app is for. I think :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    The app itself will load but the issue is the Nexus 4 doesn't support USB OTG which is what this app is for. I think :D

Nor does the Nexus 7 but it works on that.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Nor does the Nexus 7 but it works on that.

Oh, i thought it did!! Oops :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I'm very tempted by an 8gb Nexus 4. I'd like a decent smartphone but don't want to spend £500 on an iPhone and don't really want to be tied to a contract even if the TCO is close to simply buying outright.

I keep reading about battery life being an issue on the Nexus 4 - is it assuming you're using the phone more or less "out the box"?

I guess what I'm trying to establish is if there is anything substantially better out there or if I'm holding off because, as is always the case, you read enough forums and there's always something better just around the corner so you never buy...
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is always something better round the corner. Thats the great thing about technology.
    Forum Member
    There is always something better round the corner. Thats the great thing about technology.

Oh of course, but it's also the most annoying thing and whilst it might be cheap for a phone of the grade of the Nexus 4 it's still a large chunk of cash when all you read is "Give it 3 months and there will be a Nexus 5".

It's hell for us indecisive gits :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hutchingsp wrote: »
    Oh of course, but it's also the most annoying thing and whilst it might be cheap for a phone of the grade of the Nexus 4 it's still a large chunk of cash when all you read is "Give it 3 months and there will be a Nexus 5".

It's hell for us indecisive gits :)

My guess is that the Nexus 4 will be current for a while yet. What will get added is a white model, and maybe a 32GB model. If you're happy with 8GB in black, go for it. You'll get at least the next version of Android when it appears later in the year, if not a further release a year later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very tempted by an 8gb Nexus 4. I'd like a decent smartphone but don't want to spend £500 on an iPhone and don't really want to be tied to a contract even if the TCO is close to simply buying outright.

I keep reading about battery life being an issue on the Nexus 4 - is it assuming you're using the phone more or less "out the box"?

I guess what I'm trying to establish is if there is anything substantially better out there or if I'm holding off because, as is always the case, you read enough forums and there's always something better just around the corner so you never buy...

I have had no issues with the battery life, it's about the same as my iPhone 4. If I use it alot I need to charge it by tea time, if it just gets regular use it lasts the entire day NP.

For this price point I doubt you will see anything else anytime soon.
  • gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got the n4 on Friday and loving it. As for battery life so far doesn't seem great but because I'm constantly playing with it and exploring android for the first time so it's getting more use then my iPhone did. I won't really be able to judge the battery until a normal working day.

I think for the price it's the best sim free phone you can get. The next best phone will be the galaxy S4 but that will be the best part of £500 sim free.
    Forum Member
    Don't suppose there's any definitive answer on whether Google have got their shit together on despatch times is there?

Store shows 2-3 weeks but some people seem to be suggesting they've had orders shipped within a day or so of ordering?

Bargain or not it's a bit ridiculous to be advertising having to wait a month for a phone almost since launch.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experiences on some of the comments/questions posted...

Battery life - mine was terrible when I first got it, but it's fine now. The only major settings change I made was turning off location reporting/history, which I would do anyway.

Scratching etc - I've got a few of the only-just-visible-in-the-right-light ones too, not too fussed about them as you really have to look for them to see them. I am very glad I've got the bumper now though - a colleague at work dropped his over the Xmas/New Year break and the screen is smashed to bits. He's now waiting for it to come back from a repair place. Thing is that the glass front & back make it look and feel fantastic, but gorilla glass or not there's no denying it's not the toughest way to build a device.

Storage - the USB port on the N4 is not physically capable of supporting USB OTG. The ones on the 7 and 10 can, which is why Nexus Media Importer works on them but not the 4. It doesn't bother me as I use my 10 for video & games, and if I'm listening to music I stream it, but if you need lots of storage you may want to think about it.

To anyone thinking about getting one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, it's by far the best phone I've ever used and you can't argue with the price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't suppose there's any definitive answer on whether Google have got their shit together on despatch times is there?

Store shows 2-3 weeks but some people seem to be suggesting they've had orders shipped within a day or so of ordering?

Bargain or not it's a bit ridiculous to be advertising having to wait a month for a phone almost since launch.

I did indeed receive my N4 within 24 hours of ordering. The site said 1-2 weeks for the shipping, so i was more than surprised when it turned up!

They are probably just covering themselves with the 1-2 week time frame, likely they got enough stock and they are ready to go. But as stock levels diminish, so will the delivery time frame.

ideally you always want to get in as quick as you can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also ordered this week within 20 mins of them being back in stock, and I haven't received mine, in fact there's been no update since I ordered. You may get it quickly, you may not. Just don't rely on it and you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that the Nexus 4 will be current for a while yet. What will get added is a white model, and maybe a 32GB model. If you're happy with 8GB in black, go for it. You'll get at least the next version of Android when it appears later in the year, if not a further release a year later.

Why on earth is there no SD card slot on this phone? i was thinking of maybe getting one, but with no way to expand memory, then it is certainly a no from me.

In this day and age where people store more and more content on their phone, music, video, pictures 8Gb is just not enough.

Also saw that this phone uses a micro sim instead of a normal sim, i know a few people who have had problem with these micro sim cards in their Iphones.

Oh well, back to looking at what to get.

Just read that battery on the Nexus is sealed into the phone, so it can't be changed. If I am going to pay £230 for a phone I want to be able to replace the battery if needed or to get a spare.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would agree with this. A white version + 32GB and the white/black charging orb and white bumper are obviously on the horizon, then I have a feeling Google will unveil an XPhone with Motorola in May followed by a new Nexus towards the end of the year....but that could easily not happen as well...

But for now the Nexus 4 is an excellent flagship and will stay updated for a while yet.