Cameron and food banks

Comments

• Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he serious? For the most part you have to jump through hoops for some official to issue a voucher to use the foodbank. This will get you 3 days non perishable food. You are limited to using the food bank only 3 times. It's ridiculous.

Because it is all about control. Make people frightened that they might have to degrade themselves, in front of their betters, and have to use a food bank.
    Be grateful and shut up is the tory party motto
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine having to use a foodbank, has anyone on here had to use one? I'm having trouble getting my head round this, these train fare dodging, expenses cheating, tax payer rip off c**k s****s, they stick their fat greedy hands into the tax payers pot and scoop out fistfulls of cash, then force a state funeral at £10million cost on us. Sick f*****g c**ts.
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to go into the garden with a cofee there I was so angry with the suject of this thread, sorry for the language.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    I saw him in a clip on the tv, saying "We have made food banks more available to those that need them"; well, he certainly has made more need for food banks by his policies. But what would he know about food for the poor ? After all, he would be quaffing Dom Perignon champagne and eating Beluga caviar, stuff you don't see much of down at the food banks. His mansions will also have lots of spare bedrooms. The rich assigning policies for the poor when they have never experienced such a lifestyle, is distasteful.
    We as in the government?

What a load of tripe!

It's the public who contribute to the food banks and volunteers who distribute the food so for Cameron to take any credit for this last resort of the destitute makes me sick.

Using some of the most unfortunate in society to manipulate public opinion is plummeting new depths - even for him.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will get exactly what they from the food banks and nothing of what they don't need.

I already do joined up thinking thank you very much, that's why I don't need food banks.
    Then consider yourself fortunate that you have never had need of help and pray that you never do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Indeed, they mushroomed tenfold under Labour.
    Is he serious? For the most part you have to jump through hoops for some official to issue a voucher to use the foodbank. This will get you 3 days non perishable food. You are limited to using the food bank only 3 times. It's ridiculous.

I understand foodbanks before about 2008 were a rarity but if Labour didn't allow referral to them from the jobcentre/DWP and you need a voucher to use them, who did they supply food to? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    why not make money more available for those that need it. Hey Presto . No need for food banks. Cut out the middle man

They had a system like that and it worked well on the whole but there was a problem. The wealthy chaps weren't getting a cut of the action. Much better to funnel money from taxation through councils to them then stop certain help for those in hardship, such as loans or emergency money. You could call it a charity, I understand they have some favourable standing in the corporate world. Now the chaps get a slice of the action, the public get something so they don't starve and the government can pretend it costs the country nothing. Trebles all round I say...
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    So your thread isn't about food banks at all. It is just another opportunity to say spiteful things about Cameron.
    Every time I read your posts Annsyre - I have a bloody good laugh!
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they now referring people to food banks rather than give out crisis loans in some places? They replace crisis loans in places.

I thought food banks were supposed to be charities, full of volunteers. One last desperate safety net.

I really don' like the way they've morphed and been turned into something else.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changes and delays to claimants' benefits are the biggest reason for people turning to food banks for help, the charity behind a network of food banks across the country has said.

The Trussell Trust said the number of people accessing its services was 290,000 in the last financial year, compared to 40,000 people in 2009-10

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21786129

It's disgusting, we are the 7th richest country in the entire world.
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    It's disgusting, we are the 7th richest country in the entire world.
    Totally agree. There should really be no need for foodbanks. Thankfully (and I'm not rich by any means - not even comfortably well-off) I've never had the need to visit one (I always keep a larder well stocked with canned goods - something I learned from a mother of my best friend) but I do sympathise with those who have to use them.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet he doesn't brag about it at G8 summits etc "We're doing such a good job in government that 100,000's of people now need to use foodbanks"

I'd be embarrassed to mention it to anyone if it were me, let alone take credit for it.
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I'd be embarrassed to mention it to anyone if it were me, let alone take credit for it.
    It is indeed an embarrassment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I bet he doesn't brag about it at G8 summits etc "We're doing such a good job in government that 100,000's of people now need to use foodbanks"

The new Tory slogan. "Food banks we will all be in them together"
    Forum Member
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    The new Tory slogan. "Food banks we will all be in them together"

Well to be honest - somewhere along the line - some Tory entrepreneur will get a hold of foodbanks and make a money-making venture of it. No wonder Cameron is getting his endorsement of them in early.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past I had heard of food banks in other countries but never in my life time would I have thought to see so many in this country - unheard of when I was a child. Now unfortunately one can't walk through a high street with out seeing signs asking for food. I am so disgusted by it all.

I actually feel guilty when I see people asking for items and is compelled when out shopping to give something.

I don't blame one government, party or institution I am angry at all of them who have been in power for the last 25+/- years or so. They should all be ashamed of themselves as their actions have had serious unfavourable consequences to a lot of people many who are vulnerable. One wonders how they can sleep at night but then I guess the people in power who caused the problems be it politicians/bankers etc are not normal people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well to be honest - somewhere along the line - some Tory entrepreneur will get a hold of foodbanks and make a money-making venture of it. No wonder Cameron is getting his endorsement of them in early.

The next sell-off - privatise the food banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    The next sell-off - privatise the food banks.

Do that and they will start gambling with the beans and peas and when they lose everything, we will have to bail them out
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Aren't they now referring people to food banks rather than give out crisis loans in some places? They replace crisis loans in places.

I thought food banks were supposed to be charities, full of volunteers. One last desperate safety net.

I really don' like the way they've morphed and been turned into something else.

Yes that's right.
    There's always been people who mismanage/lose their money or are waiting for their claims to be processed and find themselves in immediate need.
    The previous government made them jump through hoops to get a crisis loan, which had to be paid back.while telling the DWP not to inform them about food banks.

Food from these banks is free & does not have to be paid back.
    I know which i would rather use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Yes that's right.
    There's always been people who mismanage/lose their money or are waiting for their claims to be processed and find themselves in immediate need.
    The previous government made them jump through hoops to get a crisis loan, which had to be paid back.while telling the DWP not to inform them about food banks.

sending people to food banks isn't the solution, they need to fix the reason as to why people are needing to use them. There is a saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »
    Yes that's right.
    The previous government made them jump through hoops to get a crisis loan, which had to be paid back while telling the DWP not to inform them about food banks.

I believe they were in denial/embarrassed about their incompetent running of the benefit system and that people were going hungry 'on their watch'. This government have no such hang-ups.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twogunthom wrote: »
    I had to go into the garden with a cofee there I was so angry with the suject of this thread, sorry for the language.

No probs mate I have had similar outbursts. You would like to think that these morons would one day suffer in the same way the rest of us are but you just know that they too will have huge funerals at the taxpayers expense for doing nothing.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case you missed it, there is a 1 trillion debt and a 108 billion deficit to service.

Benefits come way down the list of priorities.

We will take all your money off you give you a disability so you can't work and every movement hurts and then see if you feel the same. Honestly mate please stop with all of this it I think you are a decent enough person but you really have no idea about the real world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the executive of the Trussell Trust sounded a lot like the government on the news, going on about the worst recession in a hundred years instead of condemning what things have come to as a result of a system that rewards greed.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    sending people to food banks isn't the solution, they need to fix the reason as to why people are needing to use them. There is a saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for one day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime".

The main reason is that they have just made a claim for benefits and are waiting for it to be processed.
    I think it reasonable for the DWP to check eligibility before doling out taxpayers money.
    Other reasons are that some just simply don't budget properly