Putting chopped potatoes in the fridge

yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm making potato wedges tomorrow, and I'm thinking of chopping up the potatoes before hand and leaving them in the fridge overnight. Is this okay and if so, would I have to submerge them in cold water in a bowl while they're in the fridge?

Comments

• rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep be fine, and yes putting them in water I the best thing to do otherwise they go black
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    Yep be fine, and yes putting them in water I the best thing to do otherwise they go black

do I need to cover it at all, like with cling film?
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you must do it then yes, put them in water and cover them.

Not sure why you'd do that though, it takes about a minute at the most to chop a couple of potatoes into wedges, it's not like you have to peel them or anything.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    If you must do it then yes, put them in water and cover them.

Not sure why you'd do that though, it takes about a minute at the most to chop a couple of potatoes into wedges, it's not like you have to peel them or anything.
    Depends on the potato type and quality.
    You can soak the potatoes in water with salt and/or vinegar and it will remove the starch and sometimes improve the texture when cooked.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Depends on the potato type and quality.
    You can soak the potatoes in water with salt and/or vinegar and it will remove the starch and sometimes improve the texture when cooked.

Yes, I know this, I soak my chips for 30 mins to an hour beforehand (never found the need with wedges though) but the original question wasn't about getting rid of starch, I read it as a time saving thing, he just wanted to chop them the night before so he didn't have to do it on the day (maybe I read it wrong).