Alien 3

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watched the alternate cut of the film for the first time and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. To be honest I can't really remember too much about the original cut, but do have a question, which I'll put in spoiler tags in case people haven't seen it
In the original cut at the end of the film the alien bursts out of her as she fell into the furnace, but in the new cut it didn't. Just wondered if anyone knew the reason this was changed?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Just watched the alternate cut of the film for the first time and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. To be honest I can't really remember too much about the original cut, but do have a question, which I'll put in spoiler tags in case people haven't seen it
    In the original cut at the end of the film the alien bursts out of her as she fell into the furnace, but in the new cut it didn't. Just wondered if anyone knew the reason this was changed?
    Thanks in advance.

For Alien Resurrection?
    To make sense of the cloning queen experiments to make the perfect weapon?
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH

NOT having the queen come out totally ruined the end of the director's cut for me :mad: other than than, the director's cut was actually bETTER than the theatrical cut!!

it had nothing to do with her eventual cloning either .....
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The directors cut had no chestburster at the end because that what was originally planned. Only near the end of shooting did they decide they needed more "oomph" with the chestburster at the end.
  • prl100prl100 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I personally consider it a goof to have the alien burst out of her chest at the end.

Just 10 minutes earlier in the movie the alien lands in the furnace and comes out unharmed, i don't see why the baby alien would be any different - it is made of the same material afterall.

If the alien remained inside Ripley as was originally filmed it does make sense, Ripley (the host) perished before the alien had been born yet; as such the creature died.

I also don't think it was necessary to change the ending. The originally shot ending was a bit more poignant and allowed the Ripley character to go out with dignity, the alien popping out was classic 'Hollywood' interference.
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    I love the director's cut, the only thing that bugs me is:
    the Alien host is changed from dog to bull.I thought that was a bit uncecessary, especially when you consider that the Alien picks up traits from its host, in this case the Alien is dog-like. However, since it now comes out of a Bull, it doesn't look or act like a Bull and anyway, that Bull looks rather DEAD so how could the Alien have come from that? Maybe it just looks dead to me, dunno, watch the "birth scene" and you'll know what I mean.
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must confess that the Directors cut of Alien3 is exelent & a nice addition to the first two.
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prl100 wrote: »
    I personally consider it a goof to have the alien burst out of her chest at the end.

Just 10 minutes earlier in the movie the alien lands in the furnace and comes out unharmed, i don't see why the baby alien would be any different - it is made of the same material afterall.

No, the Alien was covered in hot lead. Ripley and the Queen went into the furnace (considerably more firey)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alien baby was bound to make at least one effort to save its life. Ripley clinging on to it, both hands wrapped round its neck . . . rather good. :o
  • LojenLojen Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prl100 wrote: »
    I also don't think it was necessary to change the ending. The originally shot ending was a bit more poignant and allowed the Ripley character to go out with dignity, the alien popping out was classic 'Hollywood' interference.

That's how I felt about it. After all Ripley had been through, it just seemed like one kick in the teeth too many to subject the character to a chest bursting.

Personally I thought the "directors" cut was far superior to the theatrical release. The plot just made much more sense overall.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then again, Kane and that woman at the start of Aliens who was attached to the wall, both of them went into convulsing before it happened, and as soon as the chestburster had broken through their ribs, they were practically dead albeit some fidgeting around. Yet when Riply chestbursts she is consious and is able to move her body and hold on to the creature as she falls. Way to go, SuperRipley!

Paddy :D
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i consider the chest burster scene the best part of alien 3. the movie - to be honest - wasnt very good at all - (it was truely Hell on Wheels making that film) but the last scene does bring a tear to my eye -with the dramatic music - the slow motion of ripley falling to her death - then the queen bursting out only to be chocked by our hero. it was certainly a nice ending to the original alien trilogy (alien ressurection is part of Alien The Next Generation series to me, along with the a v p movies!!!) the newer version of alien 3 is an improvement - but no way perfect. its a pity the cut out bits didnt have sound to them (its actually surprising that the missing pieces werent finished, as Aliens Special Edition was out on VHS at the same time as the theatrical realise of Alien 3 - and they should have realised that one day "we'll realise Alien 3 Special Edition as well!!!).

I beleive they never liked the chest burster sequence, hence it being cut out from the new version. but thats a shame - as i love it. and what could have been a perfect (well - as perfect as you can get) version of the movie - its ruined as it doesnt have my favourite bit in it!!!

Mixster - you mentioned about the bull/ox host. well - it was never changed to come out of the ox - it was originally changed to come out of the dog. the ox was the original idea. but the writters later thought that if the alien came out of an ox - and if the creature was to take traits of the host - then an ox/alien hybrid would be slower, clumsey, etc - what ever an ox can be!! but a dog/alien would be harder, faster, stronger. so half way through production of the special effects of this, they changed it to a dog. hence the birth sequence of the ox/alien looking a bit crap - as it was never completed fully.

my favourite bit of the missing scene was when they find the dead queen facehugger.