Wireless router keeps cutting out

dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Belkin wireless router which has recently started cutting out. I have to unplug it and put plug back in again before it starts up again.
I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that we have so many wireless devices in the house now, there are 3 laptops, i pod, i pad and 2 mobiles although they are very rarely all on at the same time. The router is at least 5 years old now, im wondering is it just not strong enough and do i probably need a new one?
Sorry if this is a silly question, im not very technical!

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    dee-rec wrote: »
    I have a Belkin wireless router which has recently started cutting out. I have to unplug it and put plug back in again before it starts up again.
    I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that we have so many wireless devices in the house now, there are 3 laptops, i pod, i pad and 2 mobiles although they are very rarely all on at the same time. The router is at least 5 years old now, im wondering is it just not strong enough and do i probably need a new one?
    Sorry if this is a silly question, im not very technical!

It's not a strength thing. In theory it should be able to handle 100 devices or more. That's not to say it couldn't be an error related to the devices.

I would suggest you look for a firmware update on the manufacture's website. And try a factory reset. After that bin it.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the problem between your computers and your router, or between your router and your ISP? If it's the latter, then....

If your connection is via a conventional phone line that that might be the cause, either inside your house or outside. (However, if you're on Virgin cable tv, what follows is probably not applicable).

Things to try if you're on a phone line:

Check that every device connected to the phone system (phones, DECT cordless phone master unit, answer machine, Sky box, etc) has a broadband filter.

Try replacing the broadband filters. It's unlikely to be the filters, but as they are so cheap it's worth trying anyway.

Disconnect every other device which is plugged in to the phone system and see if that helps.

If possible, plug the router into the BT master socket, with nothing else connected to the phone system.

Is the phone line noisy with voice calls, possibly because snow has penetrated the wiring at the telephone pole? If so, ask your telephone supply company to test the line for you.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say 'cutting out' do you mean the router losses power and switches off, or do you mean you lose connectivity with it?
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The router is still on but the wireless light flashes and all devices lose connection with the internet.
    Im on virgin broadband.
    Tried looking on the belkin website and it gives you the option to download a fimware update which ive tried doing. I can download the update and save it but i cant open it as it is apparantly a binary file and no programme will open it?? Help!!
    Forum Member
    The router is still on but the wireless light flashes and all devices lose connection with the internet.
    Im on virgin broadband.
    Tried looking on the belkin website and it gives you the option to download a fimware update which ive tried doing. I can download the update and save it but i cant open it as it is apparantly a binary file and no programme will open it?? Help!!

Normally you login to the router and select the option update the firmware from there.

It would be really useful to know if your router was losing it's connection to the internet or your devices were losing connection to it. If you know how to login to the router it would be good to try that next time that connection goes down.
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok my next question is how do you log in to the router? Thanks for your help im not very good at this stuff!!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try 192.168.2.1 as the web address. Looks like username is admin and password is likely blank.
    Forum Member
    Download the manual.

You just type an address into your browser. But that address varies depending on the model.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Older Belkin routers are not exactly renowned for their reliability. After five years, chances are it's already halfway to silicon heaven.

But the above advice to carry out a factory reset and update the firmware are always the first steps to take. And which Virgin package are you on, cable or ADSL? This will make a big difference.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know your username and password for the router? You'll need these to login (assuming you've changed them from 'admin' and 'password').

If you still have the installation disc, then you could do a factory reset (stick pin in hole) and install from scratch. You'll need another ethernet cable, and it only takes about 10 minutes. The disk should have a diagram for each stage.

First, though, I'd ask virgin to check your cable. I moved from virgin to BT last year, and the difference in service was astounding - I haven't had a single loss of service in 11 months, so far as I'm aware.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Belkin wireless router

I stopped reading after the above words.

Belkin are the worst brand of wireless devices available, and have been for many years.

Ditch it and buy something better (Linksys, Netgear) and watch your results improve dramatically, and instantly.