The 2014 Oscars Thread

LMLM Posts: 63,324
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought a thread for next year oscars would be nice.

At the moment, going by several sites

Cate Blanchett is pretty much the front runner for best actress

Sandra Bullock, Julia Roberts, Judi Dench, Kate Winslet and Amy Adams are also contenders to be her rivals.

Oprah Winfrey is also a contender for Best supporting actress as well, along with Sally Hawkins, Lupito Nyongo, Octavia Spencer, Jennifer Lawerence and Meryl Streep.,

Comments

• Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it been determined yet whether Meryl is lead or supporting?

I know Harvey has put her in for supporting due to the fact Lead is so strong this year and Supporting so weak. However I know the academy can overrule him.

I would be surprised if the final Lead Actress lineup isn't:

Cate Blanchett
    Sandra Bullock
    Judi Dench
    Meryl Streep
    Emma Thompson.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiwetel Ejiofor is getting a lot of praise for 12 Years a Slave. I'd imagine he's a sure fire nomination at least.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be confusion on whether Meryl or Julia will be supporting or lead
    By the trailer, the film is pretty much central on Julia's character and Meryl plays her overbearing mother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of males performances i have seen, Forrest Whittikar and Tobey Maguire deserve nominations for The Butler and The Great Gatbsy. But i highly doubt it on Tobey's part
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked DiCaprio as Gatsby but I doubt he'll get recognised for it either. I'm not sure how well recieved the film was in general really.

I'd love to see Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy nominated for Before Midnight either for acting or screenplay but I can see them missing out too. There's a lot of big hitters still to come this year.
  • MrfentyMrfenty Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love DiCaprio to get a nom for Gatsby, his performance saved the movie!

Wtf at Oprah being predicted, since when is she an actress??
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If DiCaprio gets a nomination it's more likely to be for The Wolf of Wall Street than for Gatsby. Tobey Maguire wasn't great in Gatsby, no chance of him getting a nomination. I'd love to see Ralph Fiennes get one for The Invisible Woman, but that's a very long shot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Meryl and/or Julia Roberts missing from the nominations lists, I'm sure I read somewhere that early word on August: Osage County isn't that glowing.

Cate Blanchett seems to be emerging as frontrunner for Best Actress, but a lot of the movies that are arguable contenders haven't been screened much yet. I'd be very surprised if Judi Dench and Sandra Bullock aren't on the Best Actress list as well, but not sure who the other two slots will be filled by. Possibly Emma Thompson and someone else.

Amy Adams is long overdue an Oscar, but I don't see it being her year. I'd be very surprised if Jennifer Lawrence gets another nomination this year, but I'm not sure how strong the Supporting Actress field is so if she's good in American Hustle she may well sneak in (plus Harvey Weinstein champions her, and that's half the battle).

I'd love to see Oscar Isaac get a Best Actor nomination for Inside Llewyn Davis, he's brilliant in it.
  • kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Tom hanks was incredible in captain Phillips
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finkly wrote: »
    Chiwetel Ejiofor is getting a lot of praise for 12 Years a Slave. I'd imagine he's a sure fire nomination at least.

Agreed. He could be the first black British actor to get a Best Actor nomination.

Academy favourites such as Judi Dench, Meryl Streep, Amy Adams and Cate Blanchett are likely to be nominated, again.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dwayne Johnston - Pain & Gain
    William Fichtner - The Lone Ranger

Doubt either will get nominated, but certainly the best two performances i have seen this year, Both in the supporting actor roles.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    Dwayne Johnston - Pain & Gain
    William Fichtner - The Lone Ranger

Doubt either will get nominated, but certainly the best two performances i have seen this year, Both in the supporting actor roles.

Not sure if serious..
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We talked about this in office a couple of days ago. Here's my guesses, copied from internal mail exchanges. :D:o

Most likely to be nominated:

Best Film - 12 Years a Slave
    Best Film - American Hustle
    Steve McQueen - Director - 12 Years a Slave
    David O. Russell - Director - American Hustle
    Chiwetel Ejiofer - Actor - 12 Years a Slave
    Tom Hanks - Actor - Captain Phillips (I haven't seen it, but colleagues are quite certain he'll get a nod)
    Oprah Winfrey - Supporting Actress - Lee Daniels's The Butler
    Sandra Bullock - Actress - Gravity (but won't win)
    Robert Redford - Actor - All Is Lost (pity nom)
    Woody Allen - Original script - Blue Jasmine
    John Ridley - Adapted script - 12 Years a Slave
    Billy Ray - Adapted script - Captain Phillips

Strong possibilities:
    Lupita Nyongo - Supporting Actress - 12 Years a Slave
    Michael Fassbender - Supporting Actor - 12 Years a Slave
    Christian Bale - Actor - American Hustle
    Amy Adams - Actress - American Hustle
    Bradley Cooper - Supporting Actor - American Hustle (vomit)

Fingers crossed that those will get a nod, but doubt it:

Ryan Coogler - Director - Fruitvale Station
    Michael B. Jordan - Actor - Fruitvale Station
    Octavia Spencer - Supporting Actress - Fruitvale Station
    Jeff Nichols - Original Script - Mud
    Bob Nelson - Original Script - Nebraska
    Aaron Guzikowski - Original Script - Prisoners
    Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig - Original Script - Frances Ha
    Steve Conrad - Adapted Script - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Films with a strong possibility of getting nominated in my favourite category: Editing.
    Prisoners
    Rush
    Gravity
    12 Years a Slave
    American Hustle
    The Wolf of Wall Street
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Not sure if serious..

So far this year they were the ones i enjoyed the most, the Oscars love things like Lincoln ( ????) and the best film Argo (??????) , so the duller the better unlike Johnson and Fichtner who for me were better than the films they were in and again for me The Lone Ranger is one of the years best films ( so far!!).
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    We talked about this in office a couple of days ago. Here's my guesses, copied from internal mail exchanges. :D:o

Tom Hanks - Actor - Captain Phillips (I haven't seen it, but colleagues are quite certain he'll get a nod)

Strong possibilities:
    Lupita Nyongo - Supporting Actress - 12 Years a Slave
    Michael Fassbender - Supporting Actor - 12 Years a Slave
    Christian Bale - Actor - American Hustle
    Amy Adams - Actress - American Hustle
    Bradley Cooper - Supporting Actor - American Hustle (vomit)

Fingers crossed that those will get a nod, but doubt it:

Ryan Coogler - Director - Fruitvale Station
    Michael B. Jordan - Actor - Fruitvale Station
    Octavia Spencer - Supporting Actress - Fruitvale Station
    Jeff Nichols - Original Script - Mud
    Bob Nelson - Original Script - Nebraska
    Aaron Guzikowski - Original Script - Prisoners
    Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig - Original Script - Frances Ha
    Steve Conrad - Adapted Script - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Films with a strong possibility of getting nominated in my favourite category: Editing.
    Prisoners
    Rush
    Gravity
    12 Years a Slave
    American Hustle
    The Wolf of Wall Street

I think Bradley Cooper has a lead role in American Hustle, but if anyone's going to get nominated in the male acting categories for that movie it's more likely to be Christian Bale. Despite how much I like them both I don't really see the Academy nominating Cooper two years in a row and Lawrence 3 years out of 4....but I may be wrong.
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    So far this year they were the ones i enjoyed the most, the Oscars love things like Lincoln ( ????) and the best film Argo (??????) , so the duller the better unlike Johnson and Fichtner who for me were better than the films they were in and again for me The Lone Ranger is one of the years best films ( so far!!).

You have terrible taste.
    Forum Member
    I think Bradley Cooper has a lead role in American Hustle, but if anyone's going to get nominated in the male acting categories for that movie it's more likely to be Christian Bale. Despite how much I like them both I don't really see the Academy nominating Cooper two years in a row and Lawrence 3 years out of 4....but I may be wrong.

Nah, based on the reactions to the test screeners, Cooper and Lawrence are both much more likely than Bale, who will probably miss.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

Aye, that's a good list.

There's a lot of anticipation surrounding American Hustle prior to its release. If it clicks at the box-office it'll do its chances a lot of good. Expect Gravity to get a best picture nom and a shot at winning.

Regarding best actor, I understand Matthew McConaughey is heavily tipped for Dallas Buyers Club.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Best film and Actor for me has to be MUD (Matthew McConaughey), terrific film with little to no hype yet it's been the best film I've seen all year, preferred it to Gravity or even Captain Philips.

My second favourite is RUSH!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen 12 years a slave and found the acting totally average. The film it's self is an oscar voter's we dream but the acting spoiled it. Chitwell is a good actor, but not strong enough to take on a heavy film like that. But i have a feeling he may win.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrfenty wrote: »
    I'd love DiCaprio to get a nom for Gatsby, his performance saved the movie!

Wtf at Oprah being predicted, since when is she an actress??

She's been nominated before!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oprah is a bloody good actress. She just doesn't act as much. She's only done like 3 films. I know her film before Beloved being a big financial flop led to depression and she swore off acting for a long while.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm cautious on whether Chiwetel Eijofer will win Best Actor. He needs to get a few more decent roles behind him. The vast majority of average cinema-goers wouldn't even be able to pronounce his name, let alone know who he is.

For me, the entire Best Actor category is currently in flux over how American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street turn out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm cautious on whether Chiwetel Eijofer will win Best Actor. He needs to get a few more decent roles behind him. The vast majority of average cinema-goers wouldn't even be able to pronounce his name, let alone know who he is.

For me, the entire Best Actor category is currently in flux over how American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street turn out.

I don't think his name will affect a chance. The girl from Beasts of the southern wild still got a nomination. Quaza something Wallis. Plus the academy's like newcomers who come out of nowhere. Marion Cotillard did this with her oscar win, as did Jennifer Lawerence for Winter's Bone.

I just don't think it is a strong enough performance to even be nominated personally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think his name will affect a chance. The girl from Beasts of the southern wild still got a nomination. Quaza something Wallis. Plus the academy's like newcomers who come out of nowhere. Marion Cotillard did this with her oscar win, as did Jennifer Lawerence for Winter's Bone.

I just don't think it is a strong enough performance to even be nominated personally.

There is a large number of British voters who tend to vote as a bloc, in the absence of a James Bond film he is a cert to be nominated, as is Drench for the same reason.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Is the oscars not a predetermined result and are very genre phobic.

Maybe not a fix but as close to it as you can get.

If u can say that particular actors or films will never get recognition you know that there is a snobby undertone and almost prejudice ritual.