Dual Boot

Ross1874Ross1874 Posts: 1,469
Forum Member
✭✭✭
is it possible to dual boot windows vista on a new PC that already has windows 8 installed or can it only be done the other way around?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's possible, but not easy. Ideally you need to install Vista first, then W8. Have you checked there are Vista drivers for all your hardware?

What's the problem with W8 dare I ask?
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should certainly be possible.
    XP used to like being the first OS (although that could be got round), but 7 doesn't mind where it goes.
    I should think Vista would be more like 7 in that respect?

The only problem I can forsee is that when you install Vista it might not automatically add Windows 8 as an option in the boot menu, but that can be got round with software like easyBCD.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would EUFI/Secure Boot be likely to cause complications with a new Win8 computer?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFI
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It absolutely would.

On my Toshiba laptop, Windows 7 will not boot with secure boot enabled, and Windows 8 will not boot without it. Also UEFI BIOS can complicate things further.

With Windows 8, we have reached a technology jump where dual-booting with an earlier OS is not always possible, in fact it may not be possible on most computers designed specifically for Windows 8.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    It absolutely would.

On my Toshiba laptop, Windows 7 will not boot with secure boot enabled, and Windows 8 will not boot without it. Also UEFI BIOS can complicate things further.

With Windows 8, we have reached a technology jump where dual-booting with an earlier OS is not always possible, in fact it may not be possible on most computers designed specifically for Windows 8.

not to mention linux

another case of microsoft misusing standards to lock others out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, you should learn about what these functions actually are before jumping to a [wrong] conclusion.

Secondly, the latest builds of some linux variants like Ubuntu support secure boot ... so where's the 'lock out' .... ?
  • Ross1874Ross1874 Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It's possible, but not easy. Ideally you need to install Vista first, then W8. Have you checked there are Vista drivers for all your hardware?

What's the problem with W8 dare I ask?

Nothing actually I think its great, its just that my wireless printer doesn't work on it
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loobster wrote: »
    Firstly, you should learn about what these functions actually are before jumping to a [wrong] conclusion.

Secondly, the latest builds of some linux variants like Ubuntu support secure boot ... so where's the 'lock out' .... ?

firstly you should recognise that other people might also know what they are talking about, even if their opinions might not match your own

secondly "some" QED
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross1874 wrote: »
    Nothing actually I think its great, its just that my wireless printer doesn't work on it

Which printer? Have you tried a W7 driver?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could not get a driver for my Lexmark X7675 Wireless Network printer so used the Windows 7 one and all is well and working fine in W8.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    firstly you should recognise that other people might also know what they are talking about, even if their opinions might not match your own

secondly "some" QED

It's not Microsoft's fault if some other OS developers don't release software that's compatible with new standards.

I guess if you weren't a fanboi and could see past your own limited scope of computer operation maybe you'd pick up on that.