Shall we address the elephant in the room? The limited entertainment value in having

aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
Forum Member
✭✭
.. a dog on BGT?

Im sorry but every year its. OK a dog who can stand on his legs and walk around. A dog who can walk between your legs. A dog who can jump on your back.

Its kinda the same ol thing. Everytime I see a dog act now I just think. 'Ive seen it all before'.

If they could train a cat to do the same, then I'd be impressed.

Comments

• GizehGizeh Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel exactly the same everytime I see yet another dance troop
  • CorkonionCorkonion Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a rabbit that can twitch it's nose................
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that annoys me about the dog acts is that the don't make it clear when the dog owner is a professional like Donelda Guy

http://www.doneldaguy.co.uk
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    .. a dog on BGT?

Im sorry but every year its. OK a dog who can stand on his legs and walk around. A dog who can walk between your legs. A dog who can jump on your back.

Its kinda the same ol thing. Everytime I see a dog act now I just think. 'Ive seen it all before'.

As opposed to the absolute "gold" that the rest of the show presents as entertainment? :rolleyes:
  • aussie_dave_aussie_dave_ Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minnimo wrote: »
    As opposed to the absolute "gold" that the rest of the show presents as entertainment? :rolleyes:

MEOW!!!!

lol. Only tugging your leg! You have a point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An elephant in a room? Sounds like a BGT act in itself.

My cat high fives me. Shall I take him on?
  • ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather watch dog acts than child acts.

The child acts are by far the worst thing about the show, in my opinion.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't stand animal acts - I'm sure it's all very clever to teach a dog to trot round on cue etc etc but it is just so so soooooooooo boring. If they really want to prove how clever 'man;s best friend' can be, they'd do better to show dogs who assist people who are blind; dogs who can sniff out drugs at airports, etc.; dogs who can help mountain rescue teams find someone in the snow, and dogs who can help find people in the aftermath of earthquakes.

Compared to those dogs, "dancing" dogs are just made to look silly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valere wrote: »
    I'd rather watch dog acts than child acts.

The child acts are by far the worst thing about the show, in my opinion.

Do you know what, I really have to agree with this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know what, I really have to agree with this.

I think they should have a Junior BGT & keep kids separate from adults.
  • tommygunnertommygunner Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the thread title I assumed that Emma Chawner is turning up on BGT now after failing twice on X Factor.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the thread title I assumed that Emma Chawner is turning up on BGT now after failing twice on X Factor.

Cruel ... but funny!!:):)
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    So fed up of dog acts. That said, I'm fed up of most acts - they all seem to be rehashed, weaker versions of acts from previous years.
    kaycee wrote: »

This suggestion always comes up as if it'll solve all of the show's problems, but it's a pretty flawed idea in itself - why are adults implicitly more talented than kids? Would you say Shaheen Jafargholi, for example, is less talented than Darth Jackson?

I don't think some acts should be forced into a watered-down version of the show (which let's face it, it would be - it'd become all about who's 'cute' rather than who's good) just because of their age. The real problem lies in the fact that the judges don't say no to cute young dance troupes/comedians with little talent.

The voters never really seem to play along, though - considering the amount that make it to the semi-finals, the finals don't tend to be completely full of kids, and those that do make it are usually talented, rather than relying on the cute factor. So I wouldn't say the kid thing is as much of an issue as people make out.

Another issue - what about acts with some children and some adults? The children shouldn't be made to leave their group & excluded from participating in the 'proper' version of the show purely because they've not had as many birthdays.

I just think the judges should stop putting mediocre little kids and 'funny' (:rolleyes:) joke acts through. If there isn't enough talent left once they do that, the show has clearly run its course.
  • belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the vicious circle of talent shows. It happens in X-Factor with people adopting similar styles of previous contestants who got far.

Likewise people saw the dog or whatever it was in the first series do well and that dog Gin in the other series so now all the dog acts come out of the cracks and on to BGT. Same with dance groups.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too am very tired of dog acts. Kate and Gin amused me to no end in Series 2, but since then it's been the same old thing. I knew people who were big fans of Tina and Chandi last year, but I thought they were rather boring, as I'd seen it before and in my opinion, Kate and Gin is the best dog act thus far.

2 dogs instead of 1 is refreshing and may make for some more interesting chereography, but there isn't a lot a dog can do to wow me anymore after seeing it done the first time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall we address the elephant in the room? The limited entertainment value in having .. a dog on BGT?

Shall we address the pointlessness of endless dance troupes on the show?
    belfastkid wrote: »
    Its the vicious circle of talent shows. It happens in X-Factor with people adopting similar styles of previous contestants who got far.

Likewise people saw the dog or whatever it was in the first series do well and that dog Gin in the other series so now all the dog acts come out of the cracks and on to BGT. Same with dance groups.

Gin was the first dog. The second dog was Chandi.

They were both great (Gin slightly ahead of Chandi) and far more entertaining than dance troupes and children whose parents think they're a million times better than they are.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    MEOW!!!!

lol. Only tugging your leg! You have a point.

Ahaha, wasn't meant to be snippy at you. Just at the show in general.
    I love dogs, but I recognise your point.

And ironically enough, I came home from work yesterday evening and my mum had paused a part she wanted me to see... Yep you guessed it. Was the one with the two dogs lol! :D
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    An elephant in a room? Sounds like a BGT act in itself.
    Now that I'd really like to see!! :D
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »

...and a separate one for dogs also.
  • BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I despise dog acts on "talent" shows.

I mute the TV then multitask anytime a four legged creature comes on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Jade" wrote: »
    So fed up of dog acts. That said, I'm fed up of most acts - they all seem to be rehashed, weaker versions of acts from previous years.

This suggestion always comes up as if it'll solve all of the show's problems, but it's a pretty flawed idea in itself - why are adults implicitly more talented than kids? Would you say Shaheen Jafargholi, for example, is less talented than Darth Jackson?

I don't think some acts should be forced into a watered-down version of the show (which let's face it, it would be - it'd become all about who's 'cute' rather than who's good) just because of their age. The real problem lies in the fact that the judges don't say no to cute young dance troupes/comedians with little talent.

The voters never really seem to play along, though - considering the amount that make it to the semi-finals, the finals don't tend to be completely full of kids, and those that do make it are usually talented, rather than relying on the cute factor. So I wouldn't say the kid thing is as much of an issue as people make out.

Another issue - what about acts with some children and some adults? The children shouldn't be made to leave their group & excluded from participating in the 'proper' version of the show purely because they've not had as many birthdays.

I just think the judges should stop putting mediocre little kids and 'funny' (:rolleyes:) joke acts through. If there isn't enough talent left once they do that, the show has clearly run its course.

I never said that adults were necessarily more talented than kids - I just think it would be nicer for the kids to have their own show. But yes I agree there would have to be a compronise of some sort where acts involved both adults and children.

I also agree the judges should be more responsible as to who they put through (they're the ones most guilty of falling for the "cutsey" acts) & the silly jokey acts. I believe there is enough talent in the UK apart from those - I just don't think that a lot of genuinely talented people want to be associated with the show.