Emmerdale: Priya (Eating Disorder)

Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im Loving the storyline at the moment, i think it's great and Fiona as well as the rest of the cast are doing it justice.

It's handled with care and they haven't dragged it out before people have started noticing ect ect!

Comments

• Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one agree!?
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I really like Priya and feel very sorry for her after all that happened with David :(

I hope she gets the help she needs :)

About time a decent Sharma had a storyline (that doesn't include Charity as she'll always be a Dingle to me ;-))
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    I agree. I really like Priya and feel very sorry for her after all that happened with David :(

I hope she gets the help she needs :)

About time a decent Sharma had a storyline (that doesn't include Charity as she'll always be a Dingle to me ;-))

I Actually hated Priya end of last year, and when she was with David but Fiona is a great actress and she's doing a great job, and i agree i am now feeling sorry for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! The actress is doing a brilliant job with this story line.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the only half decent storyline ED has at the moment.

I don't like Priya at all but do feel bad for her during this its hard work to have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting storyline, and it's great that Emma Wade gets more to do.

In a way, this happened to me. I felt so horrible (nauseous rather than sick) when carryig my daughter that I developed a real aversion to food. I've had times before when I stopped eating, and just drifted into it. But it was impossible to hide - at every midwife checkup, the routine tests showed that wasn't eating. I think it's more common than people realise - my midwife wouldn't let it go, but said it wasn't unusual for pregnant women to stop eating. (It shows up when you get ketones in your urine.) I was told I'd have to be monitored in hospitals unless things improved - a great motivator!
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jai did say, in an earlier episode, that Priya had anorexia as a teenager, so I think her parents would be concerned about this, seeing as she is losing weight instead of gaining it while pregnant; also, her doctor and midwife should be aware. I understand that anorexia is difficult to deal with, as the patient is in denial, not even admitting to themselves that they are not eating, or bringing the food back up if they are forced to eat. The storyline is being well acted.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's being handled well. I suspect Priya's parents are burying their head in the sand, and think that her anorexia is a thing of the past, then there are the shocking attitudes that 'pregnancy will sort it out' on display, which is probably quite common.

Fiona Wade is finally getting a chance to show how good she is. I really wanted to hug her when she was having to force herself to eat.

They did have the scene with the GP, who obviously realised that there was more to it. It would be interesting to see her at scans and check ups - just how much they're picking up on the problem. I would imagine she's very good at finding excuses for the things that will be going wrong, and convincing herself everything's ok.
  • fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't the greatest fan of Priya initially, but my heart went out to her the other night when she was in her room trying desperately to force herself to eat a forkful of food.

I think its terribly sad for her that its taken someone she has only known for a few weeks to see her plight, when her family are so wrapped up in themselves they have barely noticed, although she is somewhat of an expert in hiding it.

I'm confused though where she is getting all the energy from to keep going the same as usual, even running as without food at all and the baby taking as much nutrition from her as it can get, which cant be much,I'd have thought that by now she would have been totally wrecked,and with barely the energy to move, but she certainly still looks as fit and healthy as she ever did.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    It is a very interesting and unique story, so I'm really pleased they have chosen to do it. And Fiona Wade is doing a brilliant job - did you know she is currently 34?
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona Wade is a fantastic actress, and Priya is growing on me!
  • fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    It is a very interesting and unique story, so I'm really pleased they have chosen to do it. And Fiona Wade is doing a brilliant job - did you know she is currently 34?

I didnt know she was 34 until I saw her interview on Lorraine the other day, I would have thought she was somewhere in her late 20's.
  • star89star89 Posts: 23,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »

I heard that a few days ago and still can't believe it. She looks so much younger :o
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Priya has been 10x more interesting since splitting with dopey David. Initially I wasn't thrilled when I heard they were making her pregnant but, coupled with the eating disorder, it's turned out to be a good storyline for her. Her character finally feels fleshed out now, with insecurities and vulnerabilities, as opposed to the vacuous, pampered princess she was presented as before.
  • Alex250PAlex250P Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a brilliant storyline! Although does anybody else think that they were paving the way to do this to Nikhil before the actor quit - and they've decided to do it with Priya instead? Granted, it works well coupled with her pregnancy but I feel as if they wanted to do the storyline so switched it from Nikhil to Priya.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's being handled well. I suspect Priya's parents are burying their head in the sand, and think that her anorexia is a thing of the past, then there are the shocking attitudes that 'pregnancy will sort it out' on display, which is probably quite common.

Fiona Wade is finally getting a chance to show how good she is. I really wanted to hug her when she was having to force herself to eat.

They did have the scene with the GP, who obviously realised that there was more to it. It would be interesting to see her at scans and check ups - just how much they're picking up on the problem. I would imagine she's very good at finding excuses for the things that will be going wrong, and convincing herself everything's ok.

Georgia is infuriating with her "oh I was the same, hardly showed" attitude when she knows her daughter has had an episode of anorexia in the past. Crazy woman! Her antennae should be twitching by now FGS. Strange that she's usually quite full on and in her kids faces telling them what she thinks yet if you're right she's burying her head in the sand with this one.

Up until the other day when she was trying to coax herself into eating I had been a bit 'meh' about the storyline not particularly liking Priya but that scene changed my mind altogether. I felt her pain and frustration. It was an excellent scene that showed what a battle it can be for some folk just to eat, a basic necessity most of us do without thinking.

(I probably found it hard to empathise as I have the opposite problem, can't stop stuffing my face and have to exert an iron will at times or I'd be the size of a gable end :blush:)
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Priya has been 10x more interesting since splitting with dopey David. Initially I wasn't thrilled when I heard they were making her pregnant but, coupled with the eating disorder, it's turned out to be a good storyline for her. Her character finally feels fleshed out now, with insecurities and vulnerabilities, as opposed to the vacuous, pampered princess she was presented as before.

I agree, Priya has improved 100% since she split with David. I've now come to the conclusion that David should stay single as every female he's with tends to become dull when they're paired with him. Lately I've found that I'm not enjoying Alicia's scenes as much as I used to.

Re Priya, I'm not saying that the 'pampered Princess/Because I'm worth it' stuff isn't part of her personality (and she genuinely buys into it at times) but how much of it is masking a myriad of insecurities? :( She's beautiful and how many women would want to look like her yet she thinks she's nothing? Wow.
    Alex250P wrote: »
    It's a brilliant storyline! Although does anybody else think that they were paving the way to do this to Nikhil before the actor quit - and they've decided to do it with Priya instead? Granted, it works well coupled with her pregnancy but I feel as if they wanted to do the storyline so switched it from Nikhil to Priya.

Good theory re Nikhil. You could be spot on there as he as over-exercising, obsessing about his food etc wasn't he? Didn't Georgia say when she got back this week though that he's loosened up now and isn't so obsessed about these things? Looks like Canada has had a good affect of him!
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Georgia is infuriating with her "oh I was the same, hardly showed" attitude when she knows her daughter has had an episode of anorexia in the past. Crazy woman! Her antennae should be twitching by now FGS. Strange that she's usually quite full on and in her kids faces telling them what she thinks yet if you're right she's burying her head in the sand with this one.

Up until the other day when she was trying to coax herself into eating I had been a bit 'meh' about the storyline not particularly liking Priya but that scene changed my mind altogether. I felt her pain and frustration. It was an excellent scene that showed what a battle it can be for some folk just to eat, a basic necessity most of us do without thinking.

(I probably found it hard to empathise as I have the opposite problem, can't stop stuffing my face and have to exert an iron will at times or I'd be the size of a gable end :blush:)

I agree, Priya has improved 100% since she split with David. I've now come to the conclusion that David should stay single as every female he's with tends to become dull when they're paired with him. Lately I've found that I'm not enjoying Alicia's scenes as much as I used to.

Re Priya, I'm not saying that the 'pampered Princess/Because I'm worth it' stuff isn't part of her personality (and she genuinely buys into it at times) but how much of it is masking a myriad of insecurities? :( She's beautiful and how many women would want to look like her yet she thinks she's nothing? Wow.
    Georgia probably thinks any mental health problem is a phase that can be c

Good theory re Nikhil. You could be spot on there as he as over-exercising, obsessing about his food etc wasn't he? Didn't Georgia say when she got back this week though that he's loosened up now and isn't so obsessed about these things? Looks like Canada has had a good affect of him!
    i reckon georgia would think priya's problems are a thing of the past. I don't get the impression that she'd have much insight into mental health problems of any sort. SHe's got a heart of gold but she's not very empathic. Anyway, the people closest can really underestimate how bad someone is feeling with these types of illnesses
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I didn't like David wading in shouting "I thought you said she was starving our baby" to Leyla with Priya there in the middle of the street. Obviously be worried, but seriously he could have handled it more sensitively than that giving how personal the problem is for Priya and his messing about hurt her in the first place.
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    I heard that a few days ago and still can't believe it. She looks so much younger :o

LOL...It's amazing what makeup can do for any woman..but she is very attractive with a gorgeous figure..which helps...
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fi_ona wrote: »

I'm confused though where she is getting all the energy from to keep going the same as usual, even running as without food at all and the baby taking as much nutrition from her as it can get, which cant be much,I'd have thought that by now she would have been totally wrecked,and with barely the energy to move, but she certainly still looks as fit and healthy as she ever did.

Good point
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an interesting story and Priya being pregnant and dumped has made her character miles more interesting. I hope the beautiful Alicia isn't dragged down because of David.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    fi_ona wrote: »
    I didnt know she was 34 until I saw her interview on Lorraine the other day, I would have thought she was somewhere in her late 20's.

She was in Grange Hill in the mid 90s
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,691
    Forum Member
    Really like Priya. David wants a kicking.
  • misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I think soap writers are really very clever :) last year I couldn't stand her and hoped she would just leave; now I'm really warming to her and feel empathy for the situation she is in. Well done to the actress too, she nowcomes across as very vulnerable. My only gripe is her new BFF Layla.... god it would take some amazing writing to change my mind about her ;-)
  • cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Priya every time she's on screen i want to put my foot through the T.V >:(>:( ,so hopefully this story line will lead to her exit off my telly :D