Ingrowing toenail? Sorry guys! But please help if poss

2»

Comments

• Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    In my area NHS podiatry services are on a self-referral system. You don't need to be referred by a GP. You can get a referral form from the NHS area website and submit it yourself and they'll contact you to arrange an appointment for an assessment.

I meant to add this too actually. Lots of trusts have self referral for podiatry, we don't here but we have walk in clinics where we assess and then make an appointment if needed.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    //////
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    The trouble with the V cut is that it's not a quick fix. It takes time to work and most people understandably can't stand the pain while it grows out. But it's definitely a cure, provided you cut the nail "spatulate" (i.e., straight across) afterwards.

In my experience with it, it sorted itself out in a few days perhaps I have fast growing nails though as I notice my nails grow fast.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ I wouldn't worry I had half my big toe nail removed, still hasn't grown back after 18 or so years, and never will. I was walking around fine straight after, the relief from the pain was awesome. I took a pair of flip flops with me to wear after the op, but was wearing shoes the very next day.

Apologies for bumping this, but I didn't want to start a new one on the same topic.

My daughter had her consultation back in August and she's getting the surgery done this Thursday. I'm glad to read that your recovery was so quick! :) I'm hoping for the same with my daughter. Were you under general anesthetic or was your toe just frozen locally? It kind of sucks for her as her birthday is on Saturday. :D I'm sure she'll still be up for a bit of cake and ice cream. :)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Invariably it will be a local anaesthetic. I've had it done a few times now and in my experience, the injections (note; plural) in the toe are excruciatingly painful. The rest is more or less OK.

Probably best not to tell her that bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Invariably it will be a local anaesthetic. I've had it done a few times now and in my experience, the injections (note; plural) in the toe are excruciatingly painful. The rest is more or less OK.

Probably best not to tell her that bit.

I'm pretty sure they're doing a general anesthetic as the nurse said I was allowed to go into the room with her until she's asleep.
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could not believe the pain of the injection. Then the needle broke off and they had to go get pliers to grip it to get it out. Still very careful when doing the nails even after 30 years.
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    It would be very unusual to have a general anaesthetic for minor surgery like a nail removal. It is usually just a couple of injections either side of the toe to numb the area.

Out of interest, were you given any instructions that would suggest a general would be used? Eg, were you told she shouldn't eat or drink anything before the operation?
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I meant to add this too actually. Lots of trusts have self referral for podiatry, we don't here but we have walk in clinics where we assess and then make an appointment if needed.

They should call them 'hobble in clinics' :D Absolutely feel for you OP. I am sure your GP has assessed that this is not serious in a clinical sense and it will right itself but that doesn't mean it isn't seriously painful.

I was going to suggest you check for these minor injuries and ailments clinics. Lots of towns have them now. Also if you are near a teaching facility, a college or teaching hospital it might be worth ringing. Sometimes these places are keen to have guinea pigs for the students. Don't worry the students are carefully supervised and usually have a year or two under their belts before they are allowed near real people too. . Any procedure takes longer than with a qualified person because each step is discussed and monitored by the student and tutor. I am near a teaching hospital and have been a guinea pig for students a number of procedures and have been quite happy with the treatments performed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigalt wrote: »
    Could not believe the pain of the injection. Then the needle broke off and they had to go get pliers to grip it to get it out. Still very careful when doing the nails even after 30 years.

You've just made me feel sick and my eyes are watering. Bejeebus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they're doing a general anesthetic as the nurse said I was allowed to go into the room with her until she's asleep.

Is she very young? ( ooh that sounds creepy, when it's on the Internet' well maybe it didn't but it does now I've drawn attention to it )

Might be a sedative, like dentists do with extractions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she very young? ( ooh that sounds creepy, when it's on the Internet' well maybe it didn't but it does now I've drawn attention to it )

Might be a sedative, like dentists do with extractions.

Yes, I expect her age is a factor in the decision to use general anesthetic, she's nearly 14.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    It would be very unusual to have a general anaesthetic for minor surgery like a nail removal. It is usually just a couple of injections either side of the toe to numb the area.

Out of interest, were you given any instructions that would suggest a general would be used? Eg, were you told she shouldn't eat or drink anything before the operation?

Yes, very specific eating and drinking restrictions, plus they gave her an age-appropriate booklet on what happens when you go to sleep for the operation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I've had two minor ops lately where I was offered GA. With the new anæsthetics they seem to be quite free with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had two minor ops lately where I was offered GA. With the new anæsthetics they seem to be quite free with it.

It would be nice if they've made improvements, I've had GA 3 times in my life and each time I woke up and became violently ill.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Bump wrote: »
    Thank you I will definitely try this as I always try to keeping short to stop it ingrowing but it always even when cutting straight across like they tell u. Always the same bloody toe too!

I think you'll find this is no longer the recommended way to prevent ingrown toenails - nor is cutting a "v" into them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - nor is cutting a "v" into them.

Definitely not recommended by podiatrists.

I think the reasoning behind cutting a V into the end of the nail was that it was thought that the edge might then come inwards as the nail grew. This doesn't happen - The way the nails grow is dictated by the matrix at the base, and not the end of the nail.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I'm getting mine done next Thursday. I've been waiting for an appointment since August. There's only one doctor at my local surgery that deals with ingrown toenails which is why I've had to wait.

I'm not sure what he's going to do with it as it's got granulated tissue on the side which isn't very pleasant. I've been soaking my foot regularly in hot water and dettol to keep it clean. Not sure what else I can do at the moment.

To be honest I'm freaking out big time. I just want rid of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The surgeon sort of "breaks the seal" as it were all round with a little spatula thing, so no worries about tissue in the wound area. You're doing the right thing though, by regular soaking to keep things soft. Just don't look down when you hear him pick up the mole-grips.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The surgeon sort of "breaks the seal" as it were all round with a little spatula thing, so no worries about tissue in the wound area. You're doing the right thing though, by regular soaking to keep things soft. Just don't look down when you hear him pick up the mole-grips.

sometimes you can hear a pop sound when you break the vacuum seal. Very satisfying
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member

I think the reasoning behind cutting a V into the end of the nail was that it was thought that the edge might then come inwards as the nail grew. This doesn't happen - The way the nails grow is dictated by the matrix at the base, and not the end of the nail.
    I'll bet it isn't :D
    They're not daft, are they?
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member

That doesn't sound so bad. I'll bring a blindfold with me just in case I get the urge to look.

I figured a needle in my toe isn't going to be as bad as the horrendous tooth extraction I had last month *shudder*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll bet it isn't :D
    They're not daft, are they?

Why is that?

If you are suggesting that we try and make more work for ourselves, that makes no sense as in the NHS it would be far preferable to prevent or treat in that way rather than nail surgery.

But it simply doesn't work like that.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I expect her age is a factor in the decision to use general anesthetic, she's nearly 14.

I was ten years old when I had the misfortune of having to go to hospital for an operation on a really badly infected ingrown toenail.
    At that age, I was embarrassed by my infected toe so hid it for ages before I was forced to have it seen to. Turned out the nail in the corner of my big toe was after growing upwards into a sharp point that was almost coming out through my skin at the top of the toe.
    There was huge build-ups of pus and blood that would constantly stick to my socks and it was agony trying to take them off.
    Finally went for the operation and it was horrific. I wasn't under any anesthetic and the doctor injected a huge needle into the corner of my toe.....it was pure agony!
    Half my toenail was removed and I was in crutches for two weeks afterwards and it was too painful to put any pressure on my toe.
    The worst part was going to the hospital for ten days after the operation for a nurse to keep changing the dressing. Dry blood meant the dressing was stuck to my toe like glue every time so it was absolute agony as the nurse would slowly try to unwrap the dressing.
    It was a horrific ordeal for a young person to go through:(
    This was twenty years ago though so I hope ingrown toenail operations have improved dramatically since then.