Options

Talksport Chat (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Apologies for being OT for a minute, I just wanted Lorelei to see this - don't ever give up hope!
    That is a great story RM., it will give Lor plenty of encouragement.:)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    That is a great story RM., it will give Lor plenty of encouragement.:)
    Thanks, Jack, it is isn't it - I thought of Lor as soon as I saw it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have talkSPORT management come out and said openly that the reason they are making this change is to expand their audience? I don't believe they have.

If you remember how station bosses spoke about talkSPORT's Rugby World Cup coverage last year you might recall a few interviews where the likes of Scott Taunton were saying how they were covering the tournament not because they thought it would bring in a great deal of revenue or because it would make an immediate short term gain of new listeners, but the main thing they spoke of was how their coverage was important in "building credibility" for the station.

I think something similar could be happening here - not so much because they are looking to build credibility or produce quality (although if either of those things are achieved even in a small way it will be viewed as a bonus), but because they want uniformity across the station in that it becomes a genuine solely sports broadcaster with sport at all hours of the day helping to define it just that little bit more clearly than it has been in the past.

For what my admittedly uneducated guesswork towards listening figures are worth, I happen to think that the shift to a new format will not have that much of a positive or a detriment effect to their overnight figures - simply because there is a low base of potential listeners available due to nothing more than the time of day the broadcast is going out. I think any attempt to make overnights more important and listened to than it currently is would be a fairly futile battle as there is never going to be that big an audience listening to the radio as a whole at that time.

But this can be a positive in as far as building up a programme over time can be concerned - I am sure there won't be an immediate pressure on the new programme to perform brilliantly in the ratings from the off. Look at a show like Full Contact. Given the lack of rugby union coverage on talkSPORT prior to its scheduling - they had had a good quality Rugby Show that had ran for a few years until Moz Dee cancelled it soon after arriving at the station, but otherwise their coverage of the sport amounted to syndicated match updates from the Talking Rugby agency - I doubt it will have immediately found an audience. But with the poor "on one week, off the next" Saturday evening timeslot it was originally scheduled in, talkSPORT management cannot really have expected it to make a massive impact initially. But as time has gone on and with solid trailing, good use of the website and social media and cross promotion on other talkSPORT shows, Full Contact's profile has risen and it duly received a far better and more regular weekly timeslot on Sundays last summer.

If a programme that airs in a (slightly) better timeslot and is fairly experimental or at least different to the usual norms of talkSPORT's output like Full Contact can be given time to develop and grown an audience, and two years since debuting it remains intact with pretty much the same format it had to begin with, why shouldn't these new overnight shows be given that same opportunity?
    That is a great post Diff, the way you have put it makes perfect sense. I remember 4-4-2 said a while ago, the problem Talksport have regarding listening figures for non-sports shows, was people would tune in only to listen to that content, then tune back out again, I do think the changes they are making will give the station more consistency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stirling/Rainbow George/George of Hampstead was on with Mike, saying he's just heard about 'the change'. He sounded quite alarmed and asked if there was going to be a big send-off with Christine and all the regulars on - Mike said 'no'! Mike was unmoved and I reckon he's just glad to have retained his job at all, while poor Stirling thought he'd found a permanent home after he abandoned LBC.
  • Options
    Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dabandy wrote: »
    I'm not much of a cat lover LOR , but I really hope they show up for you . :cry:

Thanks Andy. :)
    Apologies for being OT for a minute, I just wanted Lorelei to see this - don't ever give up hope!

What an amazing story! It just shows what incredible pets cats can be when Mac remembered his owner and leapt on his knee after 6 years as if no time had passed at all.
    Dogs huff with you if you displease them but cats really have an unconditional love for the people they choose to love.
    The key in this story is that the owner had Mac chipped and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this. I discussed it with my husband and intended to do it but kept putting it off.
    The problem I had is that my cats were terrified of travelling in the car to the vet. A cat I had 20 years ago died of a heart attack in transit in the car to the vet. :(
    I really should have got Lola chipped when I had her spayed.
    However, this story has made my night, Radiomaniac, thanks for sharing it with me. You are most kind. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Talksport has gone down the pan.

Mike Dickin, Tommy Boyd, James Whale, Ian Collins... replaced with Jason Cundy and the unfunniest most banal man in Britain Andy Goldstein.

Some classic clips

Tommy Boyd (caller phones up to complain about his show)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMcw3Gd_gmE

Mike Dickin (last ever show a day before he died in car crash)..with Richard Dawkins. some comedy gold with callers phoning in to prove the existence of god.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqF1UKF_nH0

women states that gods existance can be proven by humans potential to fly (15:10).. this is legit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0dlEsEdoNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhZWiOgK6sw
    man states the bible is written in code and mentions stuff that happens today (monica lewinshy giving BJ for example)

RIP Talksport.
  • Options
    NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 309
    Forum Member

What is your ninja name?

Assuming the letters are not gender specific my DS name is

tokachichikushitakuku

My real name is:

tokachikatakiku

A bit less of a mouthful- but can you decipher it? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Andy. :)

What an amazing story! It just shows what incredible pets cats can be when Mac remembered his owner and leapt on his knee after 6 years as if no time had passed at all.
    Dogs huff with you if you displease them but cats really have an unconditional love for the people they choose to love.
    The key in this story is that the owner had Mac chipped and I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this. I discussed it with my husband and intended to do it but kept putting it off.
    The problem I had is that my cats were terrified of travelling in the car to the vet. A cat I had 20 years ago died of a heart attack in transit in the car to the vet. :(
    I really should have got Lola chipped when I had her spayed.
    However, this story has made my night, Radiomaniac, thanks for sharing it with me. You are most kind. :)
    So glad to hear that Lor, I hoped it would cheer you up and inspire you not to give up. :)
  • Options
    Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »

Mike Dickin, Tommy Boyd, James Whale, Ian Collins... replaced with Jason Cundy and the unfunniest most banal man in Britain Andy Goldstein.

Some classic clips

Mike Dickin (last ever show a day before he died in car crash)..with Richard Dawkins. some comedy gold with callers phoning in to prove the existence of god.

women states that gods existance can be proven by humans potential to fly (15:10).. this is legit.

man states the bible is written in code and mentions stuff that happens today (monica lewinshy giving BJ for example)

RIP Talksport.

I had to laugh at the woman who kept on telling Tommy Boyd that his show was rubbish in the first clip.She was brilliant. I wonder what she makes of TS now if she thought TB was rubbish.
    Tommy was memorable. I liked it when he would express a view that you knew he didn't actually believe himself, but for the sake of initiating debate or starting an argument, whichever you prefer, he would do his best to try to convince you of his (faux) case.
    For example, I remember him trying to convince listeners that we didn't need fridges in our homes.
    I liked his wonderful hour in which people would wax lyrical about things that made them happy. It was positive, uplifting and unique in radio.
    Although Ian fell out of my favour in his latter days at TS, I'll always remember him fondly from his early shows with his Creatures of the Night. I liked Eilish much more than I could ever like dodgy Nigel.
    For some reason, I didn't listen to Nick Abbot when he was at the station but now that I can get LBC to work sort of, I'll be listening to him instead of TS.

I notice that there is a petition linked to some of those clips on YouTube.
    I won't be signing as the 24/7 sports coverage is happening and it's time to accept it and move on.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great story RM and no doubt a little boost for Lorelei who must be going through it these last few days.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stirling/Rainbow George/George of Hampstead was on with Mike, saying he's just heard about 'the change'. He sounded quite alarmed and asked if there was going to be a big send-off with Christine and all the regulars on - Mike said 'no'! Mike was unmoved and I reckon he's just glad to have retained his job at all, while poor Stirling thought he'd found a permanent home after he abandoned LBC.

I guess MG is just looking after number one, one wrong word here or there on air and maybe he would be out of of job, I don't think anything is set in concrete yet regarding the current affairs presenters staying on to do sports shows. It's very possible Graham and Forde will make a right dogs dinner of their new shows and Moz will be looking very closely at how they go the first few weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »

Some classic clips

RIP Talksport.

Great links DC thanks!, I agree with you it's very sad what's happening, it's even sadder that Moz Dee can think 18 straight hours of football, (6am-12pm) is not already enough especially when every damn single minute of it is dedicated to the English Premier League and the other 3 divisions don't hardly get a mention. :(
    I have only played the Mike Dickin clip so far but will be playing your other links later thanks again.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    UTV Media has posted their preliminary financial results for the year ending 31 December 2011:
    TalkSport saw a six per cent growth in operating profit at £12.4 million - despite the absence of the World Cup, which gave a significant boost to the station's performance in the previous year.

http://www.journalism.co.uk/news/talksport-and-television-help-boost-utv-profits/s2/a548438/
    talkSPORT, which has switched to an all-sport format, has performed particularly well during the year, despite the absence of the 2010 Football World Cup, the company says.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/03/profits-up-at-talksport-onwer-utv-media/

So, again, from a business point of view, talkSPORT is doing exceptionally well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    UTV Media has posted their preliminary financial results for the year ending 31 December 2011:

So, again, from a business point of view, talkSPORT is doing exceptionally well.

From a business point of view no one will ever argue with you 442 A ROARING SUCCESS indeed, makes me wonder if a better station should get the nod to start up just what profits THAT station would make.

Come on someone please start one up you'll make a fortune, if THEY can carrying passengers like Irani, Forde, Quinn, Abrahams, Gough, Goldstein and Bobby Gould you would have no trouble.
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »

I cant argue with those results £250,000 a week profit for what is a pretty dire excuse for a radio station.Maybe if the RAJAR results were as accurate on ACTUAL listeners the figures would be very different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    I cant argue with those results £250,000 a week profit for what is a pretty dire excuse for a radio station.Maybe if the RAJAR results were as accurate on ACTUAL listeners the figures would be very different

Hi Oak a long time no see, allus good to see you again as you're an old stager in here going back a long time, :) perhaps talkSPORT is one of those things that people just love to hate but can't do without, I really think this is so. Quite a few of us on here think the method of collecting audience figures is heavily flawed but there are people that insist everything is accurate and correct with it, I think you have to admire the stance of these people in believing what they do even though my view is they are wrong!

TalkSPORT is the type of radio you switch on and off all the time, I know I do, so when these statistics are all gathered up people that are switching on and then thinking oh my god what is this $hit and then turning straight over to another station are still getting counted as a listener even though they only fleetingly visited, this is a lousy method of collecting listening data, and then we come to the actual amount of listeners RAJAR actually questionnaire to get the final figures I will not even go there because it's been posted so many times in the past how the allegedly dodgy system works.

Decent season for your lads by the way, are you still positive about landing a play-off place?, it's still on if you can finish with a good run, our lads?, I could write a book but I won't, I'll just say I am praying we beat Diff's lot tonight at home and United lose away at Notts County then we would overtake them into second spot in the table with 8 games left, we're a team with momentum right now, new manager, new confidence running right through the team, but as Greavsie once said football's a funny old game and anything can happen yet it's anybody's for the final places really.

for Pearl.
    Hows that for staying as fair and unbiased as I can PJ at this high tempo time, sorry I can't wish you luck for tonight hun away at County but for what it's worth I do think your lads will win tonight, it's a $hit or bust match for United and I think they'll all perform tonight and get the 3 points. :p
  • Options
    baggiovalderrambaggiovalderram Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to listen to H & J for the first time in ages and it just seemed a bit tired...I think they should be switched to weekend breakfast to replace the dire Saggers & Quinn and maybe that would give H & J a new lease of life...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    TalkSPORT is the type of radio you switch on and off all the time, I know I do, so when these statistics are all gathered up peoplethat are switching on and then thinking oh my god what is this $hit and then turning straight over to another station are still getting counted as a listener even though they only fleetingly visited, /spoiler]
    I'm glad you have brought that up,....

How can your listening preferences get counted (no matter how many times you flick through different stations per day) if you are not in possesion of a Rajar Diary.

I was under the impression a radio staions listening figures are collated from these diaries only, so unless you have one it makes no difference what stations you or I listen too.

Can someone please clarify either way.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Oak a long time no see, allus good to see you again as you're an old stager in here going back a long time, :) perhaps talkSPORT is one of those things that people just love to hate but can't do without, I really think this is so. Quite a few of us on here think the method of collecting audience figures is heavily flawed but there are people that insist everything is accurate and correct with it, I think you have to admire the stance of these people in believing what they do even though my view is they are wrong!

TalkSPORT is the type of radio you switch on and off all the time, I know I do, so when these statistics are all gathered up people that are switching on and then thinking oh my god what is this $hit and then turning straight over to another station are still getting counted as a listener even though they only fleetingly visited, this is a lousy method of collecting listening data, and then we come to the actual amount of listeners RAJAR actually questionnaire to get the final figures I will not even go there because it's been posted so many times in the past how the allegedly dodgy system works.

Decent season for your lads by the way, are you still positive about landing a play-off place?, it's still on if you can finish with a good run, our lads?, I could write a book but I won't, I'll just say I am praying we beat Diff's lot tonight at home and United lose away at Notts County then we would overtake them into second spot in the table with 8 games left, we're a team with momentum right now, new manager, new confidence running right through the team, but as Greavsie once said football's a funny old game and anything can happen yet it's anybody's for the final places really.

for Pearl.
    Hows that for staying as fair and unbiased as I can PJ at this high tempo time, sorry I can't wish you luck for tonight hun away at County but for what it's worth I do think your lads will win tonight, it's a $hit or bust match for United and I think they'll all perform tonight and get the 3 points. :p

Hi there,my team are on par with TS at this present time as far as very few highlights we wont get into the playoffs as we aint good enough.Apart from K&G and H&J now and then l have chosen other stations to listen to.I actually listened to the whole of the breakfast show the other day and we all know about the Parrot but Brazil is really nicking a living these days.Most posters on here listen to the night shows something l have never done apart from GG who l understand has left.I expect some of the apologists on here will interpret that as alls well with the day time programes as theres little input on this site.

ps You have got a good manager on board and l expect you to nick second spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you have brought that up,....

How can your listening preferences get counted (no matter how many times you flick through different stations per day) if you are not in possesion of a Rajar Diary.

I was under the impression a radio staions listening figures are collated from these diaries only, so unless you have one it makes no difference what stations you or I listen too.

Can someone please clarify either way.:)

I have been quoting from previous posts that you don't necessarily have to stay tuned into one station to be counted in as a listener of that station, if that's untrue yes it's needs clarifying once and for all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    Hi there,my team are on par with TS at this present time as far as very few highlights we wont get into the playoffs as we aint good enough.Apart from K&G and H&J now and then l have chosen other stations to listen to.I actually listened to the whole of the breakfast show the other day and we all know about the Parrot but Brazil is really nicking a living these days.Most posters on here listen to the night shows something l have never done apart from GG who l understand has left.I expect some of the apologists on here will interpret that as alls well with the day time programes as theres little input on this site.

ps You have got a good manager on board and l expect you to nick second spot.

Your team's as bad as talkSPORT? OMG you are in a mess,:D to be seriarse I hope your team finish well for your sake but any chance of your lads just going through the motions on April 28th when we visit?, they'll be a few quid behind the hot water pipes of the dressing rooms at Griffin Park if you do. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have been quoting from previous posts that you don't necessarily have to stay tuned into one station to be counted in as a listener of that station, if that's untrue yes it's needs clarifying once and for all.
    I remember a few of us discussing this last year, somebody in the know confirmed this to be the case. but it cannot be correct if the "Diary Method" is the only way.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a few of us discussing this last year, somebody in the know confirmed this to be the case. but it cannot be correct if the "Diary Method" is the only way.

This explains the various terms:

http://www.rajar.co.uk/content.php?page=glossary

For talkSPORT the market share and total hours listened are also going up so the theory that people are just listening for 5 minutes at a time is disproved.

RAJAR shows that Radio 2 is the most popular national station and that Radio 4 is the number 1 station in London, both of which are as you would expect.

The system has its flaws but overall the ratings figures are thought to broadly right. If they weren't the advertisers and the stations would just ignore them and carry out their own research.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your team's as bad as talkSPORT? OMG you are in a mess,:D to be seriarse I hope your team finish well for your sake but any chance of your lads just going through the motions on April 28th when we visit?, they'll be a few quid behind the hot water pipes of the dressing rooms at Griffin Park if you do. :p

See what i can do:)
  • Options
    nedskinedski Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say that we've finally found our scoring touch - any Leeds fans out there ........... ?
This discussion has been closed.