Game of Thrones - Season 5 (contains book spoilers)

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    As mentioned earlier there will also be filming in Spain. Mostly for Dorne I would guess but it seems this Bull Ring may be used for something, most likely
    Dany's scene with Drogan in the Fighting Pit.

Saw set pictures from there today. My jaw hit the floor. I wouldn't recommend it - news sites are parading big spoilers. Careful what you click.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Bran's actor has said he's just about to start filming Season 5.

End of this video (posted yesterday) he says his next project is back filming GoT.

Bran's season 5 arc will be about him learning to use his powers so he'll spend time with the TER rather than with Hodor.

Seems Isaac Hempstead Wright was just keeping things covered up by saying he was back as it's been confrimed he won't be.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finally ahead of the tv series bookwise, and loving it. However, the sheer amount of names/family trees has become dizzying... Currently reading Quentyn Martells storyline and it does seem a little lacking at present.

I did notice that on some comments linked to the Spanish bull ring photos, a couple of comment's alluded to:
    Sansa taking over the role of Lady Stoneheart... i.e. presumeably taking her mother's role of revenge/retribution for her family. Sansa certainly has the most reason to take on this task, though I like the fact that she is groomed more for court intrigue, than combat, actually Lady Stoneheart or Sansa would be equally dramatically satisfying to see hang Freys!
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »
    I'm finally ahead of the tv series bookwise, and loving it. However, the sheer amount of names/family trees has become dizzying... Currently reading Quentyn Martells storyline and it does seem a little lacking at present.

I did notice that on some comments linked to the Spanish bull ring photos, a couple of comment's alluded to:
    Sansa taking over the role of Lady Stoneheart... i.e. presumeably taking her mother's role of revenge/retribution for her family. Sansa certainly has the most reason to take on this task, though I like the fact that she is groomed more for court intrigue, than combat, actually Lady Stoneheart or Sansa would be equally dramatically satisfying to see hang Freys!
    I doubt this will happen as it would be massively out of character.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen the new trailer? Looks very exciting.

[SPOILERNow after the earlier post, 'avenging' maybe the order of Sansa's future..?][/SPOILER]

There's alot more scope in the exterior settings too. The budgets gone up :D:D:D
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    mr muggles wrote: »

Urgh. If they do that in the spoilers, I am officially done with this show. A part of me now wishes I had never read any of the books because D&D appear to be changing things to such a degree that it is making me not want to watch it. I have a feeling George RR Martin isn't so much involved with the show now because D&D have changed one thing too many.

I remember when he first signed with HBO and said he went with them because they would be able to carry the whole story across many seasons, rather than a movie where key elements get cut for time reasons.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The season 5 trailer looks amazing and lots of info to chew over. Will be interesting to see what Littlefinger has in mind with encouraging Sansa to avenge her family's killers.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jorah looked like he was involved in a trial by combat of some sort in s5 trailer, I wonder if he's made it back to Westeros.

I need to crack on with the books, I've just reached the point in AFFC where Dany has liberated Astapor.
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Urgh. If they do that in the spoilers, I am officially done with this show. A part of me now wishes I had never read any of the books because D&D appear to be changing things to such a degree that it is making me not want to watch it. I have a feeling George RR Martin isn't so much involved with the show now because D&D have changed one thing too many.

I remember when he first signed with HBO and said he went with them because they would be able to carry the whole story across many seasons, rather than a movie where key elements get cut for time reasons.
    Changes are necessary in book-to-screen adaptations, and George knows this. Things have to be streamlined, or it just wouldn't work. That means that plot points that don't have a huge impact on the overall narrative can be trimmed, shaved or merged with others. Obviously not all changes are good such as Pod the Sex God or Missandei and Grey Worm's romance.

Anyway, George is less involved with the show less these days because he's decided to focus on writing Winds, but he still endorses the show just as much now as he did way back then and doesn't often miss an opportunity to attend events to promote it. He isn't less involved because of the changes. He's worked in TV for decades, he knows how it works and has said several times that changes are necessary. As far as I'm aware, the only change that actually bothered him was Drogo killing one of his Dothraki Bloodriders back in season 1.

Although I will share your disdain if that comment under the spoiler tag turns out to be true. She is my favourite character and I wouldn't be able to accept them butchering her like that >:(
    Jorah looked like he was involved in a trial by combat of some sort in s5 trailer, I wonder if he's made it back to Westeros.

I need to crack on with the books, I've just reached the point in AFFC where Dany has liberated Astapor.

I assume you mean A Storm of Swords?
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm ridiculously excited, can I just sleep for 2 months until it's back on telly?!

I'm especially excited for Cerseis pending breakdown. And Cat of The Canals.

I notice no Sam in the trailer? Just seems a bit weird.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Changes are necessary in book-to-screen adaptations, and George knows this. Things have to be streamlined, or it just wouldn't work. That means that plot points that don't have a huge impact on the overall narrative can be trimmed, shaved or merged with others. Obviously not all changes are good such as Pod the Sex God or Missandei and Grey Worm's romance.

Anyway, George is less involved with the show less these days because he's decided to focus on writing Winds, but he still endorses the show just as much now as he did way back then and doesn't often miss an opportunity to attend events to promote it. He isn't less involved because of the changes. He's worked in TV for decades, he knows how it works and has said several times that changes are necessary. As far as I'm aware, the only change that actually bothered him was Drogo killing one of his Dothraki Bloodriders back in season 1.

Although I will share your disdain if that comment under the spoiler tag turns out to be true. She is my favourite character and I wouldn't be able to accept them butchering her like that >:(

Changes were inevitable but there are some that make no darn sense to me (and many other book readers) and it's not like I'm a book purist when it comes to the show. It;s just I cannot fathom how Alayne (Sansa) is going down the revenge route with Littlefinger?! Or how Jaime is in Dorne? Or indeed, how Pod is now a sex God and where Pod and Brienne's storyline is going now that you know who isn't in the picture. Also it looks like characters are together that don't necassarily ever meet. Again, I think it's my own fault for having read the books. Constant head shaking when I could be enjoying it. :(

One thing I was excited about in the trailer was it looks like Lady Olenna is returning. I am rather fond of her and didn't expect we'd see her again. So there's one positive. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member

There is nothing in heaven or earth that would make me feel like I would want to be done with this show. It's incredible. I prefer the screen adaptation to the books. :)

www.serjorahsarmy.com
    Team Mormont
    Forum Member
    Changes were inevitable but there are some that make no darn sense to me (and many other book readers) and it's not like I'm a book purist when it comes to the show. It;s just I cannot fathom how Alayne (Sansa) is going down the revenge route with Littlefinger?! Or how Jaime is in Dorne? Or indeed, how Pod is now a sex God and where Pod and Brienne's storyline is going now that you know who isn't in the picture. Also it looks like characters are together that don't necassarily ever meet. Again, I think it's my own fault for having read the books. Constant head shaking when I could be enjoying it. :(

One thing I was excited about in the trailer was it looks like Lady Olenna is returning. I am rather fond of her and didn't expect we'd see her again. So there's one positive. :D
    I agree, some of them are bizarre, but I feel that most are done simply with the intent to streamline the story. The ones that really bother me are the invented ones that really add nothing (like that rather long and stupid conversation between Tyrion and Jaime about their simple cousin who crushed the beetles).

Anyway, if Sansa assumes the role of you-know-who, I won't be happy, but it will be hard to criticise her arc in the next season because it willalmost entirely consist of material beyond where her story is in the books. So we won't know if what we're seeing is a deviation, invented purely for the show or exactly where she's going to go in the books.

Although Jaime going to Dorne is something I can accept, if he assumes the role of the Kingsguard who was down their (Oakheart I think was his name?) then it gives him something to do if you-know-who is not going to be around.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do people make of this:

****POTENTIAL SPOILER WARNING****

In case the link doesn't work:
    It's Michelle Fairley ' s (Catelyn Stark) IMDB page. It says:
    "Game of Thrones" (2011 - 2015 ) playing Catelyn Stark/ Hooded Woman

Could it be true??? Could they actually be including Lady Stoneheart?? I SO hope this is true!!

How reliable is this? Or is it a case of any Joe Bloggs being able to edit IMDB like they can with Wikipedia?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, me too. She's a great character.

Although I'm confused as to why they made her go back to Highgarden after the Joffrey reveal in the show. In the books she sticks around for Tywin ' s funeral/Margaery and Tommen's wedding.

What was the point in making her go back to Highgarden just to bring her all the way back again? Surely it would've been easier to have her just stick around in King's Landing for a bit longer like in the books?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »

Could it be true??? Could they actually be including Lady Stoneheart?? I SO hope this is true!!

How reliable is this? Or is it a case of any Joe Bloggs being able to edit IMDB like they can with Wikipedia?

I don't know how reliable it is, but I always thought they were just pretending about the character not going to show up.

And they said because of 'prior filming commitments' but in reality the character only really needs to be there for 1 big scene that they could film in a couple of days.

If it's true, I'll piss myself with excitement :D
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how reliable it is, but I always thought they were just pretending about the character not going to show up.

And they said because of 'prior filming commitments' but in reality the character only really needs to be there for 1 big scene that they could film in a couple of days.

If it's true, I'll piss myself with excitement :D

Looks like you will be having clean underwear

Not Stoneheart exactly

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/19902/20150202/game-of-thrones-season-five-spoilers-lady-stoneheart-to-appear-in-spirt-in-new-season.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll still need that clean underwear.

I bloody love Sansa, and if she gets even one kill in I will be so happy.
    Forum Member

How reliable is this? Or is it a case of any Joe Bloggs being able to edit IMDb like they can with Wikipedia?
    IAnyone (or most anyone) can edit someone's IMDb credits, so there's about a 99% chance of this being a hoax. If this happens next season (which is possible, the cast and crew have been coy enough), IMDb is not how we are going to find out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    IAnyone (or most anyone) can edit someone's IMDb credits, so there's about a 99% chance of this being a hoax. If this happens next season (which is possible, the cast and crew have been coy enough), IMDb is not how we are going to find out.

I was afraid someone would say that :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually getting a bit worried about the number of characters that the show runners are seemingly cutting from the show...
    Lady Stoneheart
    Arianne Martell
    Griff and Young Griff
    The Greyjoy brothers
    Wyman Manderly

to name but a few.

I get that they can't cast everyone but these all seem like pretty important characters where the books are concerned.
    Forum Member
    I'm actually getting a bit worried about the number of characters that the show runners are seemingly cutting from the show...
    Lady Stoneheart
    Arianne Martell
    Griff and Young Griff
    The Greyjoy brothers
    Wyman Manderly

to name but a few.

I get that they can't cast everyone but these all seem like pretty important characters where the books are concerned.
    To be honest, bar LSH, I don't think any of these cuts are particularly worrisome. They know the ending and are working towards it. How they get there might be different, but the end result will be the same. If someone has been cut then it's not unreasonable to assume that they simply don't have a particularly large impact on the ending. Also, all of those characters you named (excluding the aforementioned exception, obviously) are exceptionally minor, so any impact they do have on the endgame could be easily replicated with someone else.

Personally I'm glad Young Griff has been cut, at least (if he's been cut that is). I found his experience to be such an ass-pull. :p
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the show but an outline of how the book story was initially going to go back when GRRM was writing the first book.

https://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/quick-analysis-of-the-ur-text/

Could be classed as spoilers I suppose but most of the stuff is very different to how it actually ended up in the published books (for example Catelyn travels north of the wall with Arya and Bran where she is killed by the Others.)
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Sky Atlantic showing the season 5 trailer now, two months in advance! Really can't wait till April now, i haven't read the books but it looks like it's going to be epic.

Re-linked as the previous link is dead now.

Game of Thrones Season 5: Trailer (HBO): http://youtu.be/wViILXQfX7Y