DWTS Week 2, 29th March UKTV

martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
jacquiann wrote: »
This seasons does not seem to be as popular as last's. Not many posters on here & although it is supposedly a DWTS sub-forum the threads seem to be taken up with other shows I'm not really interested in tbh :(.
At the mo I'm really liking Kristi/Mark & Jason/Edyta as potential winners; although I think Cristian/Cheryl may give them a run for their money - if he can get over himself that is ;). (It is really giving me the heebeejeebies tho, the fact that he is so much like a good looking, younger version of Craig R-H :eek:).
Priscilla is surprisingly good (another Marie Osmond imo) but why, oh why has she had that hideous work done on her face :confused:. I can't believe somone that rich & famous can get it sooo wrong - has she the same cosmetic surgeon as Michael one wonders & I'm surprised that if she's not averse to obvious work why, she is still flat-chested - wierd!!
Glad that awful big-mouthed man was eliminated, he had nothing whatsoever going for him, unattractive, could not dance & his TV persona was revolting (imo for what it's worth of course). I felt sorry for Monica though - she was the worst dancer of the women it has to be said but she tried so hard & came across well. She did improve over the two dances however but just too stiff & self-consious.
Hoping Adam will go next week cos he's another one that makes me cringe - poor Jullianne but I suppose it was only fair she got a dancing-duffer eventually :rolleyes:.

OK, here are my (male dance ignoramus') impressions...

Steve and Anna

Thought the practice with Anna's mum was fun, her mum seemed to like Steve, and "we're both scared of her".

Steve looks very cool and wholesome in the white jacket. Thought his footwork seemed a bit wooden, seeming to stomp around at the start, but he threw himself into the performance, and was entertaining.

Until his scores were announced I hadn't realised the marks were being added to the previous week's.

Christian and Cheryl

In the practice session - the uniform thing. Can recall the posts on SCD going ballistic when the UK celebs did the uniform thing. Doesn't do anything for me.

During the dance I was mainly watching Cheryl's head flicking back and forward, and left and right, all over the place. I quite like Cheryl.

Joke from Len about wind from a duck's bottom. More lavatory humour from Len. Where does he get these metaphors from. Does he watch some kiddies cartoon channel from his hotel room.

Monica and Jonathan

I was expecting a comeback from Monica. She had a really bad first week, but I was comparing her to Darren Gough and Ramps, who were also both awful in their first week. But the characteristic of sportsman is (or so I thought) that they would knuckle down and put loads of work into the technique, and eventually "do the journey". I was expecting Monica to do the something similar. I think Monica was a lot better than her first week. She was far less inhibited and did a reasonable perfromace. I didn't notice that she was out of time (as Bruno suggested). But apparently not good enough. Maybe she wasn't too popular with the US voters, perhaps perceived of as being a bit cool and remote, like Gabby Logan.

Len comments about "I used to love watching you play tennis", echoes of his comments to John Barnes.

Penn and Kim

In the practice session he accidentally brings the bar down - hilarious.

Thought the Voodoo doll thing was in bad taste, even if it was related to the vocals.

In the dance I thought his sort of hopping and plodding from side to side was alomst embarrassing to watch. Noticed the black garter on Kim's thigh. Not sure what that was doing.

He almost walked off before hearing what Len had to say. During the judges comments, very noticable how huge Penn is besides Kim. More poor taste "jokes" about voodoo. Penn doesn't seem to be taking much notice of what the judges are saying.

Priscilla and Louis

I thought, last week, that Louis seems quite short (not sure if he is, or whether Priscilla is very tall). Not so noticable this week.

I suppose this was a competent dance, but I didn't find it exciting or memorable in any way.

Shannon and Derek

I like Shannon. (Reminds me of Kelly Brook a bit). Nice shoulder movements right from the start getting into the rythym. Nice flowing dress, well suited to the dance. Jump up against judges desk just like something from an Astaire movie.

Really nice classy performance. Shannon looked really happy with it too. (Derek isn't much taller than Shannon, but it doesn't seem to matter).

Jason and Edyta

Interesting that Jason is currently still in top flight US football (I think). Unlike most of the UK sports people who mostly seem to have retired before they get onto SCD.

Noticed last week that Jason has a very humble and modest demeanour.

Practice session with Edyta. I'm continually fascinated by Edyta's practice sessions. She always wears these tiny backless and sideless loose tops. Often with a big fashion belt. How Jason (or any of her former partners) manages to concentrate on the lessons amazes me.

Didn't notice Jason much through the dance. Watched him during the replay, and didn't really think it was worth 9s. It didn't blow me away at all.

During judges comments and scores can't help notice Edyta's toned stomach muscles. Blimey.

Len's "sinners and winners" remark. Have we heard that before on SCD. If not, sounds like sort of catchy quip that Len will be reusing on SCD.

Marisa and Tony

The female joker (equivalent tp Penn and Adam). Tony takes it without complaint. A reasonable performance.

Adam and Julianne

Feel sorry for Julianne. Julianne is still very very nice to watch. Lots of really nice movements from her in this dance. Worth a 9 I think. Weird eye make up on Julianne, like a sort of flash extending along her temple.

Marlee and Fabian

I find it very dsitracting to know that Marlee is deaf. I seem to spend the whole time asking myself if she is in time and how she's doing it, if she is. Then my mind drifts to Heather Mills and then it drifts to Children of a Lesser God.

I prefer the classical quickstep, as performed by Shannon and Derek. The headflicking reminds me of Cheryl's quickstep. I suppose that's what they mean by a mambo-style quickstep.

Kristi and Mark

A very impressive start, and maintained all the way through. Great attitude. That's what I call an exciting and memorable performance. I think it was a far better performance than Jason's (which got the same marks).

In the practice session Kristi seems to have had some difficulty overcoming her inhibitions for this dance, but evidently tackled the issue head on, and did a great job.

Obviously her background gives her a bit of an advantage. But I don't feel that I want to penalise her because of that. She seems a very nice person. Neither cocky, nor showing false modesty. Very natural and open. Attractive to look at too.

Mario and Karina

I find Mario's artificially whitened false teeth and perma-grin distracting.

Really liked the female singer's vocals on this piece. She had a similar lilting tone to Hayley Sanderson (one of the singers on SCD) who I liked very much too.

Very nice "dress" for Karina, like something out of Arabian Nights. With the singing, and Karina's dress, I wasn't paying too much attention to Mario's dancing.

Comments

• LilystarLilystar Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Hi Martyboy,
    Thanks for the summary. I was happy to see Penn go, but I really wouldn't have been sad if it had been Adam, either. I think they were both there for comic effect more than anything else. Plus, I found Kim's face nearly as distracting as Priscilla's.
    I'm not surprised Monica went, but I think it was a bit of a shame, as she did try hard with the second dance. I would not have been surprised if it had been Marisa that went as she seems a bit OTT to me, and I think she'll get annoying fast!

Marlee and Fabian - she explained in the VT that she can hear a little - it's like being in the shower with the radio on in another room, is how she put it. I haven't found myself being distracted from her performance at all yet, and I think her partner is doing a great job, with being the new guy as well.

Shannon and Derek - I thought they were great, and they seemed to be having a fantastic time. I think as long as she keeps working hard, they could do well.

Marisa and Tony - A little bit of her goes a long way, for me. I preferred this week to last week, and she'd definitely toned the energy down a little bit. I think she may struggle with the more dramatic dances, and overall is not doing much for me.

Priscilla and Louis - I enjoyed their routine this week - I didn't get nearly so distracted by her face this time. She's doing great for an 'older' contestant but I don't think she comes across so well in the VTs which might not help her cause.

Kristi and Marc - technically fantastic, and she's certainly a great dancer, but doesn't really do anything for me. I'm not sure why, but both performances so far have left me a bit cold.

Mario and Karina - he's ok, but again, doesn't seem to do much for me. I do agree with the teeth thing - they are just improbably white. Found the performance unmemorable.

Steve and Anna - It's great that he's enjoying himself, but I'd be very happy not to hear about it next week. It will get irritating fast. I did think that Anna's mum was fantastic in the VT though!

Adam and Julianne - ok, it was her turn to get the duff guy this time, but couldn't they have given her someone who would at least try? I think he's got to be a strong candidate for the next one out, because he doesn't seem particularly likeable either!

Christian and Cheryl - I was expecting great things from Christian, and I can't work out yet if he's a bit shy, or a bit arrogant, but either way he's going to have to loosen up if he's going to improve. I think the way they improved his posture in a week was amazing, and using the uniform was 'inspired', although they need to watch that it doesn't get seen as an easy way of getting votes.

Jason and Edyta - great again - yes he got the same score as Kristi, and maybe wasn't quite so technically perfect, but I find him much more enjoyable to watch. He is still playing football, but they don't start pre-season training again until August, I think, so he's most likely got a load of time to spare - the US Football season only runs for about 18 weeks from September, I think. He's coming across as a fantastically nice guy, as well, and I think he may be very hard to beat.