Options

Corrie: Anne Kirkbride considers quiting.

Comments

• Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear Anne, please don't leave, The Barlow's have been part of Coronation Street since its beginning, and your character particularly feels like part of our family. I do understand if you no longer like being a part of this show, now that it has becoming so poor, but if you go, it will collapse completely Get well soon if you are poorly. Best wishes, Janet x
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea if its anyone fault she quits itsStuart Blackburns

I totally agree! It was my first thought on reading it in the Daily Mail..I figured she'd be back like a greyhound chasing a rabbit if old Blackburn was gone!
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Anne, please don't leave, The Barlow's have been part of Coronation Street since its beginning, and your character particularly feels like part of our family. I do understand if you no longer like being a part of this show, now that it has becoming so poor, but if you go, it will collapse completely Get well soon if you are poorly. Best wishes, Janet x

I feel the same The Barlows are the street without them it just would not be Corrie...Everybody knows Ken and Deirdre the last iconic couple of the Street............
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Deidre would be around forever, they were gradually turning her into the new Blanche I always imagined her still being there at Blanche's age. However if Anne Kirkbride has had enough you cannot blame her, she's been there for more than 40 years and is 60 now. I wouldn't want to keep working after 60 if I could afford to retire. The bosses at corrie have obviously tried to accommodate Anne's health problems by reducing her screen time as Deidre has barely featured onscreen much in years but it would seem by the article that that is still too much for her to cope with sadly.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone give me a brief summary of the article please as I have problems viewing the Mail.

Many thanks.

Theres a joke in there somewhere! LOL
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone give me a brief summary of the article please as I have problems viewing the Mail.

Many thanks.

Try here
    http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/anne-kirkbride-says-tarah-to-deidre-barlow-as-she-considers-quitting-corrie/
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post deleted.
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, she had to carry a lot when Roache was absent - some of it beyond her acting capability - but when he's around she'd mainly a comic feed. I wouldn't think the odd drunken line with Liz is that much hard work for an actor or actress.

I personally don't think she'd be all that missed. She really can't get a meaty story any more because her acting is pretty chronic whenever she has to do anything beyond talking about her stuffed marrow. So what to do with her?
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They would have to kill her off
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise, Surprise, the unexpected hits you between the eyes.
  • Options
    NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very much sledding newspaper article - it's says she "says farewell" as she "considers quitting"....

Well which one is it!?!?!? Does she say bye or is she only thinking about it. :confused:

I hope Anne's health is ok xx.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't noticed The lack of Dierdre to be honest.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that outlandish for a sixty year old woman to want to quit work.

At the end of the day she shouldn't feel she owes the show or the viewers anything if she feels her personal happiness and health would benefit from having a quieter schedule/life.
  • Options
    dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's too much for her could they bring her for occasional appearances, But it could be her depression that makes want to quit I do remember her saying once that she'd never quit corrie when celebrating her 40th year as Deirdre
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    She'll be missed if she left.
  • Options
    CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume it's coincidence that Anne felt the need for a long break just a little while after Bill returned? I'm sure it is.

A real shame for the show if she doesn't come back. But I get how draining it must be. I just hope she's ok and finds the strength to return to the show, even as a 'background' character.

Maybe Dierdre & Ken should sell up and move abroad? No. Actually, I wouldn't like that. Maybe a suicide pact would be better? Both jumping off a cliff, hand in hand. :cry:
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this has more to do with the change in the quality of the writing for Deirdre, she was been more of comedy character when in the past she has done some very serious plots. I don't blame Anne for not wanting to return with some of the shit she has had to act out.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Corstemmee wrote: »
    I assume it's coincidence that Anne felt the need for a long break just a little while after Bill returned? I'm sure it is.

A real shame for the show if she doesn't come back. But I get how draining it must be. I just hope she's ok and finds the strength to return to the show, even as a 'background' character.

Maybe Dierdre & Ken should sell up and move abroad? No. Actually, I wouldn't like that. Maybe a suicide pact would be better? Both jumping off a cliff, hand in hand. :cry:

I also find it odd that no sooner had ken returned she was off
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I can see Tracy leaving soon. Kate Ford needs to move on. Tracy is going round in circles, and needs a LONG break!:p

She was already having a long break until some idiot decided it would be a great idea to bring her back 12 years too early!! I always blamed Collinson but was recently pulled up on here & informed it was all decided before he arrived!! Whatever it was one of the biggest cock ups ever on the show!!
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-18/coronation-street-not-aware-of-any-desire-that-anne-kirkbride-has-to-quit-the-soap

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a622332/coronation-street-plays-down-anne-kirkbride-quit-claims.html#~p1IHijGctNkkjx

Coronation Street has responded to press rumours that Anne Kirkbride is to quit her role as Weatherfield stawart Deirdre Barlow.

"Anne is currently on extended leave but we are not aware of any desire to step down permanently from her role as Deirdre Barlow," a Corrie spokesperson told RadioTimes.com.

Kirkbride has not been seen on screen since October 2014 when Deirdre lost her temper during a family meal before leaving to spend time with friend Bev Unwin.

At the time, show bosses revealed that Kirkbride - who has played Deirdre since 1972 - had requested a "slightly extended period of leave from the show, a request the company was happy to grant".
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cybersq wrote: »
    I have a "real" job but done acting in the past and acting is harder

12 hour shifts,learning lines, no rehearsal time, 5 episodes a week

Why do people think Acting is not a real job?
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was already having a long break until some idiot decided it would be a great idea to bring her back 12 years too early!! I always blamed Collinson but was recently pulled up on here & informed it was all decided before he arrived!! Whatever it was one of the biggest cock ups ever on the show!!

It was that Kim woman who brought Tracy love back.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I can see Tracy leaving soon. Kate Ford needs to move on. Tracy is going round in circles, and needs a LONG break!:p

Tracy just needs to be killed off.

As for Anne Kirkbride, Corrie's producers should do something, to ensure that she returns.