BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Musketeers are totally fit. The whole cast is, it's a great cast imo.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it.

Rochfort is seriously creepy and I don't miss Richlieu at all.

Constance is annoying the hell out of me, if she was killed off I wouldn't mind at all.

Louis is a joy to watch too.

But I agree that we need more Musketeer interaction!

Love Louis. His particular kingly 'above his stationness' makes him really quirky and unpredictable.

I do wonder if the musketeer loyalty to him will become more and more tested over time, and whether it will ultimately have to be down to Louis to come through for them.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like series 3 might be happening :)

The cast were doing some promotion work at an Apple store in London yesterday, where series 3 was apparently announced as happening. The show's producer had also tweeted a few days earlier that "you may just get your third series" along with reports that Santiago Caberera - Aramis - has just started growing his beard again, after shaving it off once completing series 2.

All signs are good, I think the show deserves its third series, despite many people not catching onto the show. It's executive producer has also indicated that S3 might be an important one for d'Artagnan when it comes to him getting closer to becoming the legendry Musketeer.
  • David_MacAteerDavid_MacAteer Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Go back to /pol/, its hardly SJW tier stuff.
    The moor angle makes for an interesting storyline, and its far more about finding where you feel you belong rather than "whites are racist, muh diversity", Porthos is trying to figure out his past, part of that is regarding his mixed heritage. The girl was not supposed to be a good example; she was utterly naive on the world, clearly had no idea what morocco was like. She would have heard her father go on about how great morocco was, so it probably seemed to her like some fairytale country where everyone is her color and background and live in harmony and she would be straight up accepted. Porthos is more worldly, he knows that would not be the case but can't tell the girl this as it would be a real dick move to trash on her dreams just after her father died, and she would most likely not have listened to him anyway. He is somewhat older than her too, so will have found his place in the world already.

Well with all the talk about Samarra being a recurring character it would be nice to see her come back from Morocco having been rejected, because she talked funny and was one step away from being a kāfir, as happened to some of the Moriscos refugees . But I doubt that will happen.
    The actors seemed fine to play those roles. Have you ever seen any locals from that part of world? Some are quite dark skinned.
    So all dark skinned people are the same?
  • David_MacAteerDavid_MacAteer Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    This is unquestionably true. In the BBC's case the preferred 'ethnic of choice' is black. Asians, Indians, Chinese and Japanese, etc., might as well not exist. 'Doctor Who' is a great example of this. It regularly features ethnic characters, nearly all of whom are always black.

I noted that the BBC did not seem to do any shoe horning with Wolf Hall.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »

The cast were doing some promotion work at an Apple store in London yesterday, where series 3 was apparently announced as happening. The show's producer had also tweeted a few days earlier that "you may just get your third series" along with reports that Santiago Caberera - Aramis - has just started growing his beard again, after shaving it off once completing series 2.

All signs are good, I think the show deserves its third series, despite many people not catching onto the show. It's executive producer has also indicated that S3 might be an important one for d'Artagnan when it comes to him getting closer to becoming the legendry Musketeer.

I do hope so>>>

Hopefully BBC will put it on a better night. Why they changed it from Sunday to Friday is beyond me.

It worked fine after "Called the Midwife" and it was good to have a change of pace from what I would call "Family Drama" Series. They now have two "Family Dramas" running directly after each other with "Last Tango" and to be honest I dont think it works well.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noted that the BBC did not seem to do any shoe horning with Wolf Hall.

Five episodes to go yet:)
  • ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member

I really hope so! Love some official confirmation from somewhere, just so we know for sure.
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is having another Friday night break for Rugby this time on the 6 February
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Andy Hay - one of the directors on The Musketeers - a third series starts filming in April. :)

The show deserves it, despite people who gave up on S1 not giving it a second chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member

Awww man I wish id known! I really want to meet them. Is there any other sort of events like that comming up?
  • EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll get an official announcement of S3 tomorrow to coincide with the show being back on TV in the evening? Fingers crossed! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently episode 4 is very character based and moves several storylines forward, with lots of the Musketeers this time ( unlike in episode 3 ) and every Musketeer having important moments, even though Aramis and guest character Emille are the 'featured" storyline. One reviewer says that Constance is used more effectively in this episode - realistically - than she was in episode 3.

We'll be getting moments involving
    Athos / Milady
    d'Artagnan / Constance
    Aramis / Anne
    Porthos and his secret backstory
    Rochefort & Milady

and even a small but touching scene between Athos and d'Artagnan
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is having another Friday night break for Rugby this time on the 6 February

Changing the day to Friday then continually taking it off in favour of sport isn't helping the viewing figures, which is a shame.

I do hope that if a third series is made, they don't mess around with it again.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Darker, certainly. And a decent attempt at driving the characters forward. But as a story this was, well, more than a little dull. Not enough fun, not enough action. Oh well. I've penned a quick review as usual anyway.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I was wondering why Fernando Alonso was beaten to death?
  • ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is becoming unwatchable, due to being downgraded for sport....why cannot BBC have one or the other on BBC2, so there is continuous flow of the story...fed up with BBC messing around.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the woman who was experiencing visions was supposed to be Joan of Arc or something
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear that things are looking good for a 3rd series. The show has average viewing figures but it does appear to do well on the iPlayer and from what I gather the BBC makes a huge amount of money from it. I suspect it's the latter that is most in its favour.

As for tonight's episode - I really enjoyed that one. I was concerned we wouldn't be seeing much of the other boys with Aramis taking the lead but that wasn't the case.

There was lots of really good character and plot stuff - most of which was actually little to do with the main plot! I loved the way they've pushed Rochefort and his scheming forward. One of the issues I had with Richelieu was that he didn't really do that much until right near the end of the series. Now Rochefort has disposed of the ambassador, come into conflict with Milady and is bribing Magueritte. Oh and has managed to get Treville sacked. That's not bad going!

I really enjoyed Anne this episode - I love that she's a mixture of idealistic and a bit naive. Yet when it comes to court politics she's obviously on the ball. And her friendship with Constance is growing nicely.

I do appreciate the way they keep weaving in the ongoing threads too - Porthos' father and the relationships between Athos/Milady and D'Artagnan/Constance. The idea that Milady wants to leave that life behind her makes a lot of scene and adds some good depth to her.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Hmmm. Darker, certainly. And a decent attempt at driving the characters forward. But as a story this was, well, more than a little dull. Not enough fun, not enough action. Oh well. I've penned a quick review as usual anyway.

It was utterly woeful! Really poor. Obvious 'plot' developments you could see a mile off and full of stuff that made you roll your eyes e.g. the Spanish ambassador not telling the Musketeers about Rochefort.

Its one redeeming feature was the amount of unintentional laughs it generated i.e. the old northern bird getting hit on the head with a stone and collapsing in a heap!
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was utterly woeful! Really poor. Obvious 'plot' developments you could see a mile off and full of stuff that made you roll your eyes e.g. the Spanish ambassador not telling the Musketeers about Rochefort.

Its one redeeming feature was the amount of unintentional laughs it generated i.e. the old northern bird getting hit on the head with a stone and collapsing in a heap!

It does have a bit of a 'tales of angst and dark secrets by the numbers' feel to it. I can understand Athos being haunted by his murderous wife, D'Artagnan and Constance being separated while not wanting to be, Porthos wondering what everyone knows but him and Treville falling out of favour with the king due to Rochefort's evil machinations, but the one thing I think they went OTT with is Aramis and the Queen. It's just one step too far to believe, even without his lingering glances at her and then promptly two-timing her with Marguerite while obviously obsessing over the baby. There can't be that many people who havn't worked it out yet.
    It's also changed the dynamic with the other guys as Athos knows he could get them all killed and the others apparently havn't noticed anything odd over the past year or so.
    I think they're all great characters but the whole far-fetched storyline is letting them down.
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not buy the queen just wandering out of the palace with only Constance in tow, leaving Paris (presumably?) and walking through the woods to meet Emille.

And, whilst I enjoy a darker plot, I still miss a bit of a laugh occasionally, or some of the old camaraderie between the musketeers.

I like the way Rochefort is developing a realistic hold on various characters.

I dislike the fact that the musketeers no longer seem to be the stars of the show.

And, sexy though it was to see Athos meeting and talking to Milady, what on earth happened to his promise at the end of S1 that if she returned to Paris he would kill her? Are we supposed to believe that was said in the heat of the moment?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    And, whilst I enjoy a darker plot, I still miss a bit of a laugh occasionally, or some of the old camaraderie between the musketeers.

It looks like the next episode will be them out at Athos' old estate working together.
    And, sexy though it was to see Athos meeting and talking to Milady, what on earth happened to his promise at the end of S1 that if she returned to Paris he would kill her? Are we supposed to believe that was said in the heat of the moment?

Well he did spell out in this episode what was heavily implied - he dare not touch her now she's the king's mistress because the king would have him executed.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, definitely my favourite of this series. Not quite enough Athos, but as he's featured quite heavily next time I can live with that, and him being the go to man for drugs counselling/detoxing was quite amusing. Well, he would be wouldn't he?

Still not quite enough banter and camaraderie but I liked the snippets we got about all of them. Trevilles life continuing to spiral (give that man a break) and Porthos getting suspicious about Treville. The only thing which was clunky plot wise (apart from it being fairly obvious where her visions came from) was Perales being constantly interrupted when he tried to implicate Rochefort.

I confess I'm still finding Rochefort a tad pantomime. He's this series equivalent of Milady apparently lurking everywhere and all seeing and overhearing, He's a human CCTV, wherever there's something suspicious going on he's onto it, and yet his own dastardly deeds (like throttling Milady in public) going unnoticed. It is a bit of a stretch, but I'll overlook it as I'm sure it's building to something exciting when he will get his comeuppance. He's wasting his time bribing Margeurite though, she knows nothing... yet. And another thing - how was that poor prostitute supposed to be able to outwit a trained and remorseless killer like him? I thought Perales was clever, yet expecting a woman to do that, on her own was a bit optimistic.

Anne and Constance made more sense (wonder if they'll compare notes on husbands..and Musketeer lovers?) and I particularly enjoyed Constances 'oh sh*t, why me?' expression when she found out Annes 'secret'.

I almost felt sorry for Milady in this, I suppose that she has been forced to live by her wits. However it will take a huge amount of redemption for her to atone for all of the awful things she has done, even if she sometimes had to. I still suspect that that's what will happen in the end- that somehow she will do something good and heroic (but she probably won't survive doing it).

Yes, it's daft, the plots are sometimes foreshadowed with an industrial searchlight, I'd like to see a bit more of the humour back but it's pretty to look at and I still find it enjoyable escapism A welcome return to form.
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    And another thing - how was that poor prostitute supposed to be able to outwit a trained and remorseless killer like him? I thought Perales was clever, yet expecting a woman to do that, on her own was a bit optimistic.

Probably he didn't know she would talk to the Comte to make him turn before striking! And why not wait when he's more...vulnerable!

Otherwise, a good one but, yes, more humor.
    And i understand the king or queen being captured is good for a scenario but they really should stop delivering themselves gift-wrapped like that!