Options

The Hotel Channel 4 at 8pm tonight

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Worse. He said the itching had kept him awake all night and that he needed to see a doctor - as he scratched his head over the food :o

:o:o:o I thought I'd heard right... His arm looked a mess too:o
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to eat anything cooked by that revolting "chef"
    The owners are so miserable it's almost like they want Mark to fail so they can moan and roll their eyes.
    I could hardly watch it was so cringeworthy when Alex Reid turned up to almost no people there.
    It was so obviously set up to have the Pride event there because after Mark's behaviour on meeting the committee there is no way any of them would have thought it was suitable.b
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a supposedly annual event, it seemed to be conceived and held remarkably quickly seeing as Mark's only at the hotel for five weeks. I'm not really sure why Mark has taken all of the flack, surely it would have been down to the Pride committee to have advertised it properly and to have brought in the punters? Mark's job was to faciliate the day and arrange some activities and food, not to find the attendees.

The hotel owners don't have a clue. They acknowledge that they're in a catch-22 situation where they don't have the income to refurbish the hotel to bring in better/more guests but rather than look to make chnages and do something about it, they just carry on in the hope that it'll all be okay. It won't. It can't be. Heads totally buried in the sand. How can you improve something if you don't change anything?
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exmrs wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Mark still works there? I have asked on Twitter but he didn't reply

Is Mark gay because he just acts so feminine at times, just watching it now and that Alex guy is defo Mr Gay.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    For a supposedly annual event, it seemed to be conceived and held remarkably quickly seeing as Mark's only at the hotel for five weeks. I'm not really sure why Mark has taken all of the flack, surely it would have been down to the Pride committee to have advertised it properly and to have brought in the punters? Mark's job was to faciliate the day and arrange some activities and food, not to find the attendees.

Quite. As with everyone on the programme, I guess they were just encouraged by the thought of being on the telly. Maybe they were members of some radical gay Torquay splinter group, composed of, well, just them!
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The owners parents said the hotel is basically four different buildings they'd bought and extended the hotel into. If they're stuck in such a dire financial rut they should sell off the end property or look at converting it into residential flats to sell themselves. The property slump's over so they should be able to make enough to refurb the downsized hotel whichever way they did it.

This edition was as obviously scripted as the heavy drinking, deep fried Mars Bars eating Scots programme, although a bit less insulting. It really is plumbing the depths.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marks best asset is he does seem to really believe in himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The owners parents said the hotel is basically four different buildings they'd bought and extended the hotel into. If they're stuck in such a dire financial rut they should sell off the end property or look at converting it into residential flats to sell themselves. The property slump's over so they should be able to make enough to refurb the downsized hotel whichever way they did it.

This edition was as obviously scripted as the heavy drinking, deep fried Mars Bars eating Scots programme, although a bit less insulting. It really is plumbing the depths.

It is, it's a huge rambling monstrosity of a place occuping a large coner site and you can clearly see where the indivudual buildings used to start and finish. To do up the whole place would cost millions. Clearly, the owners' parents had done alright in the good times and expanded considerably but been caught out being able to maintain such a large, old building once times became harder. TBH it's not that well positioned either, Mark's previous hotels were in much better locations, and that much closer to the sea.
  • Options
    couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not enjoyed this at all. Love Mark and previous series' but don't find this one funny at all. Just boring.
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only managed first twenty minutes of this rubbish before switching off. Loved previous series but this is too much.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report.
  • Options
    marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank heavens my first name is spelt with a "c".
  • Options
    man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    How the hell did Alex drive from Doncaster to Torquay, its hundreds of miles can't be safe driving that far . it was the most embarrassing thing I have seen on TV for a long time, I mean the lack of people in the 'disco'. I could barely watch it.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, it's a huge rambling monstrosity of a place occuping a large coner site and you can clearly see where the indivudual buildings used to start and finish. To do up the whole place would cost millions. Clearly, the owners' parents had done alright in the good times and expanded considerably but been caught out being able to maintain such a large, old building once times became harder. TBH it's not that well positioned either, Mark's previous hotels were in much better locations, and that much closer to the sea.

Having stayed in Torquay (but not in the Cavendish or Grosvenor thank goodness), I have to say that I don't think that the Cavendish is in a worse position than the Grosvenor. It is only just across the road and a little bit further up by about 100 yards. I can't really see that it's position would make any difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having stayed in Torquay (but not in the Cavendish or Grosvenor thank goodness), I have to say that I don't think that the Cavendish is in a worse position than the Grosvenor. It is only just across the road and a little bit further up by about 100 yards. I can't really see that it's position would make any difference.

It depends on what you're looking for from a hotel, I guess. The Cavendish is right in the middle of 'hotel-land' but the Grosvenor is nearer the sea and harbour, okay not by a huge amount but enough for some people to care, especially the less-mobile. The Grosvenor may have some sea-views too, not sure, but the Cavendish won't.

What we see as the 'front' of the Cavendish is actually more like the rear with the car park. There's another entrance on Belgrave Road itself but it has no parking.
  • Options
    pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the Gay Pride "committee" must bear most of the responsibility, surely it was their function, they acted as if they were bestowing the event on the hotel (it was a close vote).
    Didn't even see the female committee member at the event, surely the gay community are quite close and would support any Gay event?
    All seemed a bit puzzling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Think the Gay Pride "committee" must bear most of the responsibility, surely it was their function, they acted as if they were bestowing the event on the hotel (it was a close vote).
    Didn't even see the female committee member at the event, surely the gay community are quite close and would support any Gay event?
    All seemed a bit puzzling.

I think one the 'pride' committee had her face pixilated out........ either that or she had a cloud of fog around her head.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The hotel owners don't have a clue. They acknowledge that they're in a catch-22 situation where they don't have the income to refurbish the hotel to bring in better/more guests but rather than look to make chnages and do something about it, they just carry on in the hope that it'll all be okay. It won't. It can't be. Heads totally buried in the sand. How can you improve something if you don't change anything?[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with all of this. And while I understand the owners may not have the funds to upgrade the hotel, it doesn't cost anything to make sure the rooms are clean and food, drinks, etc. are cleared away. There's so much they could be doing that doesn't cost money, but they're too lazy and apathetic to do it. They should just cut their losses and leave. Their bad attitude effects the whole place.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I cannot stand the owners.
    Lazy burgers
    Alison: "We are the dream team"

Really? You're not even employed by the hotel Alison!
    She's on expenses;-)
    Same old crap. Mark has an idea which the owners dont like but he presses on and its a mild success.
    Not this week :p
    Grouty wrote: »
    Hooray! :D

The dad reminds me of Tommy Walsh :p
    Yes I agree. :D
    rhumble wrote: »
    That all felt set up,, i doubt Mark would know who Alex Reid is, so for him to think about him off the top off his head seems a bit suspect to me
    Set up by Channel for I suspect.
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I wonder how much Alex Reid costs for a PA, £250 plus a crate a light ale? :D
    Paid for by Channel 4
    Mark is pretty useless really. Cant believe he's still employed tbh.
    I reckon that Channel 4 pay the hotel to do the program there.
    man_plebs wrote: »
    How the hell did Alex drive from Doncaster to Torquay, its hundreds of miles can't be safe driving that far . it was the most embarrassing thing I have seen on TV for a long time, I mean the lack of people in the 'disco'. I could barely watch it.
    He probably didn't. :p
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The hotel owners don't have a clue. They acknowledge that they're in a catch-22 situation where they don't have the income to refurbish the hotel to bring in better/more guests but rather than look to make chnages and do something about it, they just carry on in the hope that it'll all be okay. It won't. It can't be. Heads totally buried in the sand. How can you improve something if you don't change anything?

I thought the timing was all very odd. Like most of Mark's ideas, he seems to start planning about 48 hours before the event. With "Scottish Night", it is just about believable, and makes for good TV, although terrible business practice.

For "Torquay Gay Pride" it made no sense at all. An event like that would be scheduled weeks or even months ahead to allow enough time to get ads in to relevant magazines, clubs, etc. and organise acts and attractions to feature at the event. I assume that Mark and the producers decided a gay event would be an amusing situation for Mark to be in, and enforced their own schedule. Hence, few people and not a lot of reasons to stay after the beauty contest ended.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all

Ready for tonight's cringeworthy episode?!!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evenin

Hooray!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    christ, its so scripted, that was painful to watch, the wrestler cant act
  • Options
    TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228