Spiral (Engrenages) Season Five

Comments

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding the "pregnancy element" is becoming a bit over-done.

I was wondering if the actress is actually pregnant in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone's personality has changed, its like totally different people but using the same actors.
    Suddenly Gilou is the most stable of the bunch! :o Kind of ridiculous.
    Have they changed the writing team from previous series or did they always have various writers?
    Even Josephine's been tolerable. I'm surprised at Tim Tin's behaviour.
    That awful Bertrand is still the same and so is is Laure's boss, although he did put in a good word for his team, to his superior.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    futumtch wrote: »
    Nothing formulaic about this show.
    Laughed at the fight scene in the office with Tintin going arse over tit :D
    Utterly shocked we've lost Pierre.

:D - That made me laugh too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not happy that Pierre is killed. Noooooo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A number of posts have been removed from this thread due to bickering between posters and constant off-topic discussion. Please be sure to keep to the subject of the thread and refer to our community guidelines if in doubt.

Thanks for this.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished watching the episode where Pierre dies on BBCi. Cant believe it.
  • Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Wow. This is a good series.

Au revoir, Pierre. Although, I suppose more correctly, it's adieu. :(

Roban, get thee to your toubib... now!

And I do feel sorry for recently paroled girl getting mixed up in such a bad crime on her first night out. She'd have done better to have found herself a park bench. :o

I'm only semi sorry for her. She's now an accessory to manslaughter, and will surly end up back in prison. As you said she could have dossed anywhere instead of going to that flat. We'll have to see if she does, or turns evidence to get herself off the hook, and has the fresh start she wanted.

The one I feel really sorry for is that poor guy she honey trapped. Poor man, he just went out for a quiet drink, and though he'd met a lovely girl, who really liked him. :(
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only semi sorry for her. She's now an accessory to manslaughter, and will surly end up back in prison. As you said she could have dossed anywhere instead of going to that flat. We'll have to see if she does, or turns evidence to get herself off the hook, and has the fresh start she wanted.

The one I feel really sorry for is that poor guy she honey trapped. Poor man, he just went out for a quiet drink, and though he'd met a lovely girl, who really liked him. :(

I thought that was typical, probably happens in this country.

"Try these people, they might have a room for you," The jobsworth trying to get rid of her.

"They sent me here!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was typical, probably happens in this country.

"Try these people, they might have a room for you," The jobsworth trying to get rid f her.

"They sent me here!"

hmmm, didn't parole girl throw a hissy fit before jobsworth could find her another flat and stormed off, as she was sent to jobsworth by another jobsworth, and then went to the flat where dreadlocks girl/guy was with his/her gang. I'd have sat tight till jobsworth found me somewhere to stay. But that's just me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm, didn't parole girl throw a hissy fit before jobsworth could find her another flat and stormed off, as she was sent to jobsworth by another jobsworth, and then went to the flat where dreadlocks girl/guy was with his/her gang. I'd have sat tight till jobsworth found me somewhere to stay. But that's just me.

Yes but that would be you and probably me, but she was seventeen.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laure's superior is surely one of the most odious characters on TV.

Yes but enjoyably so! Its good to hate your boss.

Having just caught up with the second of last nights episodes Piere's death was a bolt from the blue :(
  • rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over at the Guardian the reviewer is not absolutely certain Pierre is dead. But after the TinTin shooting last season they wouldn't dare pull that stroke again would they?
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rovermac wrote: »
    Over at the Guardian the reviewer is not absolutely certain Pierre is dead. But after the TinTin shooting last season they wouldn't dare pull that stroke again would they?

I guess it's entirely possible that Josephine broke down and couldn't watch any longer when they were still in the process of trying to resuscitate him but I think everything points to Pierre dying.

I actually had a bit of a tear in my eye when it happened, especially Laure's reaction.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rovermac wrote: »
    That's what struck me too. In a cliffhanger ending, his death was only implied - no character actually stated he was dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what struck me too. In a cliffhanger ending, his death was only implied - no character actually stated he was dead.

I mentioned it was "a gallic cliffhanger," last week when Laure got the phone call at the station "in the nick of time." Although it didn't seem so important at the beginning of this episode.
    Maybe with Pierre, it'll be just like the kids film serials where you actually see the hero go over the cliff at the end of the episode and at the start of the one in the following week you see him hanging to the cliff edge by his finger tips, so he's OK.
    Likewise, Pierre next week comes strolling out the emergency door with a big smile on his face and with the "traditional" arm in a sling.

But then maybe not. I shouldn't trivialise this although I do find some elements a bit hard to accept.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned it was "a gallic cliffhanger," last week when Laure got the phone call at the station "in the nick of time." Although it didn't seem so important at the beginning of this episode.
    Maybe with Pierre, it'll be just like the kids film serials where you actually see the hero go over the cliff at the end of the episode and at the start of the one in the following week you see him hanging to the cliff edge by his finger tips, so he's OK.
    Likewise, Pierre next week comes strolling out the emergency door with a big smile on his face and with the "traditional" arm in a sling.

But then maybe not. I shouldn't trivialise this although I do find some elements a bit hard to accept.

Haha, yes, very true.:p

If Pierre is alive, it's more likely he'd be in intensive care for a couple of episodes. I don't watch Mr Selfridge but know the actor joined the cast. Maybe he needed time off for filming and couldn't do both.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who wants to keep hanging over the gallic cliff probably shouldn't read the blurbs for next week's episode. They seem to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but that would be you and probably me, but she was seventeen.

Yeah, kids have no patience, maybe her age will help in her defence when she is caught. As she wasn't with skin head thug when that poor guy was forced to rob the cash points.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    officials for last week:

e3 SPIRAL (SAT 2101) 857
    e4 SPIRAL (SAT 2156) 874

unusually the second episode outrated the first! (so, bucking the infamous episode 4 "dip"...)

nothing available for the overnights for this week yet.

K
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only one overnight in the top10...

e5 09:00 PM Spiral 557k

K
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worry about Josephine now. Will she go back to the dark side?
    Ach, and I'd been saying that Josephine had got a bit boring now that she's with Pierre and lost her inner rottweiler. Shame on me! I should have realised they were softening us up...
    futumtch wrote: »
    Nothing formulaic about this show.
    Laughed at the fight scene in the office with Tintin going arse over tit :D
    Utterly shocked we've lost Pierre.
    Yes to all of the above. Love the way they lighten things up in this show and it just as suddenly goes dark again. Like the red 'angry' mask Gilou got out of his desk drawer when the boss had gone out - other half and I were in stitches, it relieved the tension just as if you're there in the office. I've never known a series that pulls you in so completely. And we've got a tiny telly.
    Laure's superior is surely one of the most odious characters on TV.
    He's gloriously odious :D Have a feeling he may stand by his team though if it comes to it. He was quite shirty with his boss, who could only harp on about the damn dog.
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    I guess it's entirely possible that Josephine broke down and couldn't watch any longer when they were still in the process of trying to resuscitate him...
    I actually had a bit of a tear in my eye when it happened, especially Laure's reaction.
    Me too, and I never well up at drama. This was masterly. Perfectly pitched and played by both of them.
  • ilovewhoilovewho Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    SPIRAL 5 - Superbly directed and has a touch of NYPD BLUE vibe to it as the new Police office location give the walk-and-talk options for the actors/directors to embrace. I think the podgy Police Commissioner actor is struggling to get his lines out as he troupes up the 'spiral' staircases. Great stuff.

I am truly going to miss the relationship between Pierre and Josephina. A great shock.

Judge François Roban's character has become tougher and more substantial - but what with the nose-bleeds. Is he terminally ill?

Great to see the financial commitment of BBC FOUR in the series. Long may it continue.
  • mrsdparismrsdparis Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I found this on a medical website:

"Other causes of nosebleeds include high blood pressure, a bleeding disorder, blood clotting disorder, and cancer."

They can't do this to us. Pierre is a great loss (mainly because of his bobby dazzlingness), but this programme just cannot work without Roban.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ilovewho wrote: »
    SPIRAL 5 - Superbly directed and has a touch of NYPD BLUE vibe to it as the new Police office location give the walk-and-talk options for the actors/directors to embrace. I think the podgy Police Commissioner actor is struggling to get his lines out as he troupes up the 'spiral' staircases. Great stuff.

I am truly going to miss the relationship between Pierre and Josephina. A great shock.

Judge François Roban's character has become tougher and more substantial - but what with the nose-bleeds. Is he terminally ill?

Great to see the financial commitment of BBC FOUR in the series. Long may it continue.
    Agreed, the first small tingle I get when watching Spiral is when the credit for the channel comes up at the start of each episode.
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    mrsdparis wrote: »
    I found this on a medical website:

"Other causes of nosebleeds include high blood pressure, a bleeding disorder, blood clotting disorder, and cancer."

They can't do this to us. Pierre is a great loss (mainly because of his bobby dazzlingness), but this programme just cannot work without Roban.

I'm really interested in Roban's apparent personality change, which can be caused by various disorders, particularly neurological ones. That, coupled with Laure's pregnancy hormone-fuelled mistakes and excesses, makes me wonder whether the theme of this series is how physical factors can affect judgement and make people make serious mistakes.
    Laure overlooked the possibility of Sandrine being the one who was in touch with the baddies..... Roban may have made a huge error in sending Stephane back to jail, and one result of that was Pierre's death..... wonder if any more examples of this theme are in store?