Options

Take Thats Progress sold....

Comments

• Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    How on earth is that irrelevant? It couldn't be more relevant, when you look at the albums market today compared with 13 years ago.

You didn't even say why you disagree or why you think it's irrelevant, although I get the feeling you're shouting that comment just because of who said it, but oh well, just saying :)

Its irrelevant because nobody has the power to predict such a thing that happened then compared to now

You might think you have the power though.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its irrelevant because nobody has the power to predict such a thing that happened then compared to now

You might think you have the power though.

I'm not talking about 'predicting' anything, I'm saying that the state of the albums market now is nothing compared to how it was in 1997. Album sales are at a shocking low this year, whereas 13 years ago they were alive and well. Take That's sales are all the more impressive because of that. You know this anyway, as does everyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it would of sold half as much as it did back in 1997

Sounds like a prediction of sorts to me
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member

No, a prediction would have been:

'it wouldn't have sold half as much as it did back in 1997'

More speculation than prediction anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »

Either way its an opinion that no one will EVER know so again its pointless even bringing it up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really. I'm just saying that based on the state of the albums market today compared to back then (considering illegal downloads etc), it probably wouldn't of sold as much. It's not rocket science.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »
    I said this in another thread, but if Be Here Now was released in today's climate, I doubt it would of sold half as much as it did back in 1997

You're forgetting how big Oasis were in 97, they were probably even bigger than Take That are now. Don't forget Be Here Now was off the back of Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger etc, along with the massive, massive Knebworth shows, of which millions of people applied for tickets.
  • Options
    BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    stargirl1 wrote: »

I agree with this to an extent, album sales in general were going from strength to strength at the time Be Here Now came out but I also don't want to take anything away from Oasis whose sales figure is still absolutely amazing.

However, fast forward to 2010 and album sales in general have been truly shocking as people are tending to cherry pick their favourite tracks as opposed to buying the full album (singles chart has seen many a album track chart because of this over the last year or so). For Take That to sell 518 odd thousand is this climate is massive and I think if it was possible to download your favourite tracks as opposed to buying the full album in the 90s this would have had an impact on the Oasis album sales the week they achieved record sales.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a fantastic achievement, well done to them...

HOWEVER, it's important to remember that Take That remain a band firmly grounded in the UK. Their influence doesn't extend outside of the borders (excluding Ireland for obvious reasons).

Compare it to a band like Metallica, whose last album (released in 2008, so still recent) reached No. 1 in 34 countries over the globe, and has sold nearly 7 million copies since release. Take That are small fry compared to bands like Metallica and AC/DC.
  • Options
    BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »

HOWEVER, it's important to remember that Take That remain a band firmly grounded in the UK. Their influence doesn't extend outside of the borders (excluding Ireland for obvious reasons).

Compare it to a band like Metallica, whose last album (released in 2008, so still recent) reached No. 1 in 34 countries over the globe, and has sold nearly 7 million copies since release. Take That are small fry compared to bands like Metallica and AC/DC.

Would have agreed with this pre Robbie rejoining but take Germany as an example where Robbie has remained huge to date, this era of Take That is certainly off to a flying start there compared to the last album. Same goes for Austia, Switzerland, The Netherlands and all Scandanavian countries, this despite there has been zilch promo outside the UK yet. I cant say Progress will reach millions of sales worldwide but I am watching chart progress (no pun intended) with great interest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SOOOO pleased for Take That's Progress success! i mean of all their albums this is in high regard an absolute classic! Gosh they really did pull out all the stops with this album!

I really hope they go out there with their video's too and release as many singles as possible from the album! it's just 10/10 quality from beginning to end! in love with the album (Janelle Monae, The XX and Gorillaz are the other artists' albums i am IN LOVE with!)

Wait is just so smooth and thumping! i feel Kidz should have a HUGE Express Yourself style video, it's very tribal and dark! i want something stylistically ENORMOUS for the video, it's an absolute masterpiece! Happy Now too is a very brilliant recording that would be a fantastic release, also i think Underground Machine is stylistically very good! (very MIA style somewhat!) and wish Flowerbed would get more recognition, i love Jason Orange, and Eight Letters is fabulously beautiful!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said Josh. I've been listening closely to Progress for a few days and I think it's bloody amazing. Some songs are better than others, but there isn't a single song I dislike. Wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's a huge triumph in so many ways. I can see myself still listening to it in years' time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Still a massive achievement. Nothing to be looked down on at all. I don't know why there is a thread about this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is why they are doing are EUROPEAN tour and have sold 40million (this does not include recent sales) worldwide!

Take That has been to America (first time round) and had a little success there with Back For Good. But most bands don't feel the need to go to America these days as it is incredibly hard market to crack. However, based on the fact they have fans begging on their facebook fan page to go to America, I think if they work hard they could finally crack America.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobBlob wrote: »
    Still a massive achievement. Nothing to be looked down on at all. I don't know why there is a thread about this.

Cos Oasis fans cannot accept that Take That could of broken their record and refuse to see them an act that could possibly compete with them.
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cos Oasis fans cannot accept that Take That could of broken their record and refuse to see them an act that could possibly compete with them.

Well on sales maybe and the odd snort, definitely not music wise in my opinion, Oasis would play them of the stage, especially the fat little Norman Wisdom tribute act called Robbie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    getty wrote: »
    Well on sales maybe and the odd snort, definitely not music wise in my opinion, Oasis would play them of the stage, especially the fat little Norman Wisdom tribute act called Robbie.

They're completely different acts, appealing to different fan bases. Both are/were at the top of what they do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    still number 1 midweek
    Take That 66.9k
    2 JLS 58.9k
    3 Westlife 38.4k
    4 Susan Boyle 19.5k
    5 My Chemical Romance 17.8k
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »
    still number 1 midweek
    Take That 66.9k
    2 JLS 58.9k
    3 Westlife 38.4k
    4 Susan Boyle 19.5k
    5 My Chemical Romance 17.8k

I think there's every chance they could hold on to the top spot this week. With being a new release JLS sales will be front-loaded, but Take That should maintain their sales and have got a good lead. I can't see anything knocking them off the top spot until Christmas, apart from the new Michael Jackson album perhaps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Nice to see the top 4 are all British acts.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnox wrote: »
    Nice to see the top 4 are all British acts.

Westlife aren't British.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is why they are doing are EUROPEAN tour and have sold 40million (this does not include recent sales) worldwide!

Take That has been to America (first time round) and had a little success there with Back For Good. But most bands don't feel the need to go to America these days as it is incredibly hard market to crack. However, based on the fact they have fans begging on their facebook fan page to go to America, I think if they work hard they could finally crack America.

How many of those 40 million sales have been outside of the UK and Ireland?

Look, I think what Take That have done is great, and for what it's worth, I actually like them, which is rare for me as I'm not a pop fan. But there's no point in pretending they're a global band when they're not - 90% of their fanbase is in the UK, and they have a small but dedicated following in some European countries. Band like Metallica, Muse, AC/DC, even Iron Maiden (whose latest album hit No. 1 in 30 countries), are all bigger than them on a European and worldwide scale.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look, I think what Take That have done is great, and for what it's worth, I actually like them, which is rare for me as I'm not a pop fan. But there's no point in pretending they're a global band when they're not - 90% of their fanbase is in the UK, and they have a small but dedicated following in some European countries. Band like Metallica, Muse, AC/DC, even Iron Maiden (whose latest album hit No. 1 in 30 countries), are all bigger than them on a European and worldwide scale.

Who cares?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I cannot a full breakdown on figures but I do know they have down well in Europeans countries such as Germany. Beside the Amercian boybands, they are the UK's biggest boyband and have done those sales with the release of with however many singles, 3 studio albums and greatest hits first time round and a greatest hits and 2 studio (one which had a special edition released a year later), to me that is bloody brilliant!
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But were we in a recession then? NO! Take That fans (me included) go out of their way to find money to buy tickets and albums the moment they are sale

We are in a recession but that's got nothing compared to 1997 and sales. Albums can be got for 7.99 these days.

Hell take that's album sold for £1 yesterday lmao.

It was £5 for a SINGLE back in 1997.