Ban Facebook page that makes jokes of dead babies and abuse

123457»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member
    Why were grieving mothers looking at it?

When I was grieving I didn't go looking at things I knew would upset me, I avoided them. It's a little thing called common sense. If you know something is going to upset you then you don't do it. Just like I know sticking a pin in my eye will hurt, so I don't do it.

It's a sad case that people can't use common sense, yet they are fully prepared to use an emotive issue (dead children) to enforce their views on others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    No, it doesn't, since they want the 'dead baby jokes' page banned, not babies, TV programmes about babies, the word "baby" or any mention of babies.

Also, I agree that it would have been stupid to remove this group... up until the people running it discovered how upset it was making grieving mothers, then not only carried it on, but started to discuss trolling the groups with grieving mothers in to upset them even more. That's f'cking awful. You have to admit that.

They weren't forcing the grieiving mothers to view it, were they? The grieving mothers WENT THERE, proceeded to set up their own protest page, whinged to the papers and sent all their friends to threaten and harrass the members of the original FB page.

I can't blame the original FB page members for being defensive. If you want someone to stop doing something then you ask them, politely. If they refuse that's their perogative, and all that's left for you to do, like it or not, is suck it up and choose not to associate with them in future. You don't start a hate campaign, threaten, harrass and generally tantrum at them, that just encourages them to be even MORE offensive simply to spite you.
  • BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skolastyka wrote: »
    They weren't forcing the grieiving mothers to view it, were they? The grieving mothers WENT THERE, proceeded to set up their own protest page, whinged to the papers and sent all their friends to threaten and harrass the members of the original FB page.

I can't blame the original FB page members for being defensive. If you want someone to stop doing something then you ask them, politely. If they refuse that's their perogative, and all that's left for you to do, like it or not, is suck it up and choose not to associate with them in future. You don't start a hate campaign, threaten, harrass and generally tantrum at them, that just encourages them to be even MORE offensive simply to spite you.

No, but they will be forcing them if they go to their page and start posting dead baby jokes, which they were planning to do last time I looked.

And fair enough, they could refuse and keep to themselves, and the grieving mothers could not look at the page, but then people from the 'dead baby jokes' page did start spamming up the protest page. And my point is, whether or not they should be allowed to be 'defensive' or 'offensive', that's a horrible thing to do.
    Forum Member
    No, but they will be forcing them if they go to their page and start posting dead baby jokes, which they were planning to do last time I looked.

And fair enough, they could refuse and keep to themselves, and the grieving mothers could not look at the page, but then people from the 'dead baby jokes' page did start spamming up the protest page. And my point is, whether or not they should be allowed to be 'defensive' or 'offensive', that's a horrible thing to do.

So is trying to restrict the freedoms of others just because you don't agree with them...
    Forum Member

Sure it is, but it's understandable. If someone put up a protest page about me (trying to take away freedom of speech - something i find FAR more disturbing than any joke) and got their 'friends' to threaten my family and I...chances are i'd get spam happy too.

Whether it's right or wrong is irrelevant.
  • BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you all using the 'removing freedom of speech' like this particular issue is a horrific example of it? It would be deleting a page that deeply offended, shocked and upset a group of people. Removing that is not disturbing. Do you think every time a Moderator removes a post from here, it's disturbing? Do you think everytime someone gets told to shut up for saying something offensive, it's disturbing?
    Forum Member
    Why are you all using the 'removing freedom of speech' like this particular issue is a horrific example of it? It would be deleting a page that deeply offended, shocked and upset a group of people. Removing that is not disturbing. Do you think every time a Moderator removes a post from here, it's disturbing? Do you think everytime someone gets told to shut up for saying something offensive, it's disturbing?

But it is a horrific example of it, it is one group of people using hyperbole to get their argument across and to impose their views on others.

It doesn't excuse the fact that they have gone searching for it and then sat and read it. And I'll bet that is what they have done, they have sought it out so that they will have something to complain about...
    Forum Member

Because the group in question aren't breaking any terms and conditions of Facebook simply for existing and posting dead baby jokes. Thankfully, common sense prevailed and the dead baby joke page is still up, and i hope it remains up.

There weren't just saying shut up, they were trying to force them to shut up. One of the 'outraged mothers' said "If that's freedom of speech i want no part of it" - ban freedom of speech? Start a hate campaign against people because *your* feelings are so precious that no one should be allowed to say anything you don't like, ever? Not only do i find it disturbing, i find it arrogant and egotistical to the extreme.

A lot of thing deeply shock, offend and upset me, but i haven't the right to play morality police and tell people what they can and cannot say. If i don't like something on the net - i don't go on the website that offends me. It's really very simple. The mothers' in question upset themselves by going on a site called 'dead baby jokes', i have no sympathy for idiots that go out looking to be upset and then whine when they are.
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Group that was banned was posting stuff that was directly threatening to people who posted on the dead baby jokes group is why.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been reported on in Take a Break (great journalism I know..)

Seems its still going now.

and before anyone starts with 'why did you dig up an old thread'
    because if I started a new one i'd be told to use the search function.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    This has been reported on in Take a Break (great journalism I know..)

Seems its still going now.

and before anyone starts with 'why did you dig up an old thread'
    because if I started a new one i'd be told to use the search function.

What did it say on Take a Break?
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrHoppy wrote: »
    Of course. And we have the right to complain about people complaining.

It's fine to say people are being dicks when they're being dicks. I only have a problem when people say that people being dicks shouldn't be allowed to be dicks.

Yes, this sums up my thoughts. I don't think the jokes are funny; they're just tasteless. But it's not as if I'm being forced to read them; I can ignore them. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I want to stop other people liking it.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    ban humour and be done with it.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DGSx wrote: »
    But it is a horrific example of it, it is one group of people using hyperbole to get their argument across and to impose their views on others.

It doesn't excuse the fact that they have gone searching for it and then sat and read it. And I'll bet that is what they have done, they have sought it out so that they will have something to complain about...

Mothers who have babies who have died probably have enough to complain about to be fair. It's hardly like their lives are so perfect that they have to go searching the internet for something to yap over.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    Best way would be to go to the group and post all over it with junk so that they get bored of trying to sort it out.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well all the groups involved have already been removed including the protest one, you get expired link for them. So Take A Break are a bit late to campaign against it aren't they?! :D
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never have seen it if you hadn't pointed it out.

People should really stop getting upset that something "bad" is written somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubrical wrote: »
    What did it say on Take a Break?

typical 'stop how vile this is' and 'facebook are evil for not banning it'

tbh, at first I was like 'omg how can that be allowed' but when you think about it they're not forced to see it.

if they have been taken down, they were shown to still be up. I didn't look them up directly because its not to my taste.