LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Good because last time John Stapleton presented this show he was a marked improvement on James O'Brien. Perhaps they could give James a week off to shadow John Stapleton and find out how to present a radio show properly.

Pity James Whale can't stand in for Shouty BARKES permanently.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Allen gets nuttier by the day.

Not happy with using only disposable pants and socks, he now uses 'little silver trays', that he cooks food in and then eats straight out of it, then chucks. He bought 50.

That's outrageous! The man's a environmental nightmare. He could give those clothes to a charity shop and the silver trays can be recycled when washed. >:(
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    That's outrageous! The man's a environmental nightmare. He could give those clothes to a charity shop and the silver trays can be recycled when washed. >:(

I think the idea is that you throw them away so you don't have to wash them.

He's probably saving on the dishwasher.... All that leccy and water. Not to mention pesky detergent going into our rivers and killing stuff. He's probably reducing his carbon footprint by using the foil trays. Go Steve eco warrior!

And if he isn't who cares? This Green stuff is all a load of tut anyway. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I think the idea is that you throw them away so you don't have to wash them.

He's probably saving on the dishwasher.... All that leccy and water. Not to mention pesky detergent going into our rivers and killing stuff. He's probably reducing his carbon footprint by using the foil trays. Go Steve eco warrior!

And if he isn't who cares? This Green stuff is all a load of tut anyway. :D[/QUOT

Yeah and giving brand new clothes to the homeless or charity shops is a daft idea too. Silly me.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity James Whale can't stand in for Shouty BARKES permanently.

Sadly, I think that boat's been well burned. I didn't like James Whale in the 4 pm slot, but he might be better late at night.
    Forum Member

Yeah and giving brand new clothes to the homeless or charity shops is a daft idea too. Silly me.

I think even the most needy of charities would balk at the idea of a donation of Steve Allens pants

If such an organisation exists please let me know, I'd like to send them a fiver.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I think even the most needy of charities would balk at the idea of a donation of Steve Allens pants

If such an organisation exists please let me know, I'd like to send them a fiver.

Glad you find the idea of that amount of new clothes being thrown away so amusing.
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vile Farage evidently didn't hear the family of Alice Gross's appeal not to exploit her death for political purposes. :(
    What is vile, is there are no checks on who enters this country! It needs to be addressed regardless!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    What is vile, is there are no checks on who enters this country! It needs to be addressed regardless!

Please stop talking sense, it doesn't go down well.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually despite what LBC/UKIP/BNP would have us believe, support for the continued membership of the European Union amongst British citizens is at its highest for 22 years, well above 50% of the respondents to the survey, and rising.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    Actually despite what LBC/UKIP/BNP would have us believe, support for the continued membership of the European Union amongst British citizens is at its highest for 22 years, well above 50% of the respondents to the survey, and rising.

Never believe surveys. They're always organised by someone with a vested interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would you knowingly buy a pair of SA's mucky underpants? :o
    Forum Member
    Glad you find the idea of that amount of new clothes being thrown away so amusing.

I have never seen socks or pants on sale in a charity shop.

Cheer up. It's friday.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't commenting on the rights or wrongs of the political aspect of the story but the fact that Farage had ignored the wishes of the murdered girl's family by using her death to make a political point.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Farridge is right not to allow the families of victims of crime to deny him his right to free speech. Especially if the point he is making is that if he had his way the criminals would find it much harder to enter this country and so those families would perhaps not have had members who had become victims at all.

It is tragic that anyone has to suffer crime. Any victims and anyone else affected have my deepest sympathies, but it is a politician's job to propose and implement solutions.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm well according to a June Grauniad poll 48 % would vote/probably vote to leave and 37% would vote /probably vote to stay in . So the ayes clearly have it in this reasonably recent poll .What poll and date are you looking at?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/21/eu-referendum-majority-leave-opinium-observer-poll
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Hmm well according to a June Grauniad poll 48 % would vote/probably vote to leave and 37% would vote /probably vote to stay in . So the ayes clearly have it in this reasonably recent poll .What poll and date are you looking at?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/21/eu-referendum-majority-leave-opinium-observer-poll

October 2014

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3463/Support-for-EU-membership-highest-for-23-years-even-as-UKIP-rises-in-the-polls.aspx#gallery[m]/2/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    I think The Farridge is right not to allow the families of victims of crime to deny him his right to free speech. Especially if the point he is making is that if he had his way the criminals would find it much harder to enter this country and so those families would perhaps not have had members who had become victims at all.

It is tragic that anyone has to suffer crime. Any victims and anyone else affected have my deepest sympathies, but it is a politician's job to propose and implement solutions.

I have to agree with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    if he had his way the criminals would find it much harder to enter this country

I cannot see the relevance of the nationality. How do I stop criminals from Hereford, say, entering my council?
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you knowingly buy a pair of SA's mucky underpants? :o

How do you know they are mucky - have you seen them ;-) :o
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot see the relevance of the nationality. How do I stop criminals from Hereford, say, entering my council?

- the point being EU criminals having carte blanche to enter the UK whereas really there should be more stringent checks a la US(where criminals are refused entry ) ...and visa versa with your fictional Hereford criminal .If the EU had such safeguards obviously Latvian murderers - (and suchlike) would find it a lot harder to kill in the UK and the poor little girl would still be alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    - the point being EU criminals having carte blanche to enter the UK

But there is no link between immigration/ foreign presence and heightened crime, the evidence in fact seems to the contrary.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/apr/28/immigration-impact-crime
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never believe surveys. They're always organised by someone with a vested interest.

You're beginning to sound like an SNP member after the vote! :D

Fact is, we believe or disbelieve surveys according to our own viewpoint. So if you believe that the UK should leave Europe, your response to the survey will be "I don't believe it", whereas if you want to stay, you'll say "I told you so". Which makes surveys almost useless, except as an academic exercise.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night c.00.15 Duncan Barkes said he received a call from "the boss" congratulating him on his audience figures going up over the last 3 months and the last year. He then thanked the listeners.

From what I can see his figures have gone up from 3 months ago, However, they haven't increased from a year ago.

The only programmes which show an increase in listeners from this time last year are all on Sundays ! From 10am - 4am all programmes are on the up.
This discussion has been closed.