Southland - Anyone Watching This?

scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey guys, not sure where to put this, TV or Cult.

Anyway, anyone watching this on E4 on Thursday?

I've been watching in blocks so I'm currently 4 episodes behind but I've got to say I'm really enjoying it.

A cop drama set in LA. It was cancelled after one season by NBC but TNT showed it & it was then renewed for a second season. According to IMDB though, there's 3 seasons so far.

Comments

• richhoopsrichhoops Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I am and I quite like it, good that More4 are showing seasons 1 and 2 together, although they only amount to 13 episodes.

Enjoyed the first block which made up the first season, it got canned six episides into the second season so I expect it'll just stop suddenly in a few weeks. Then it was picked up by another network for a full third season but that doesn't broadcast until next year I believe.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it too, but can see why it tends to be referred to as "Shield-Lite". The characters are very believable and easy to root for, but it suffers from the (apparent) lack of a compelling central story arc - glad it's getting a full season though, maybe that'll be its chance to break out...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I've been watching and enjoying it too.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of this show. The finale of Season 1 was brilliant. I find it utterly compelling and believable. One of my highlights of the week along with Dexter.

I hope it gets the respect it deserves with full 3rd season. 7 and 6 eps respectively is a shambles.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    7 and 6 eps respectively is a shambles.

A shambles? Why? That's completely normal for British television -- two separate "series" totaling 13 episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    A shambles? Why? That's completely normal for British television -- two separate "series" totaling 13 episodes.

I'm talking in respect to how America do their seasons when it comes to drama television. It has no bearing on UK television because it's not a British tv show.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I'm talking in respect to how America do their seasons when it comes to drama television. It has no bearing on UK television because it's not a British tv show.

Yes, it is out of the ordinary for American TV, but I was thinking that from your perspective, as a Brit, this is the sort of thing that you personally would be used to, since your TV industry works that way. In short, I would expect the complaining to come from Americans who would see 13 episodes spread over two seasons as something completely new to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it too, but can see why it tends to be referred to as "Shield-Lite". The characters are very believable and easy to root for, but it suffers from the (apparent) lack of a compelling central story arc - glad it's getting a full season though, maybe that'll be its chance to break out...

Having seen the Shield I would say its closer to the general confusion of the early episodes of Hill Street Blues with the shaky camera work from NYPD Blue thrown in.

A good show and better than any cop show currently made in the UK.

What was the final of Season1?
    Was it the shooting of one of the detectives at the bad neighbour’s front door?

I assume scoobyju1 meant More4 not E4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Yes, it is out of the ordinary for American TV, but I was thinking that from your perspective, as a Brit, this is the sort of thing that you personally would be used to, since your TV industry works that way. In short, I would expect the complaining to come from Americans who would see 13 episodes spread over two seasons as something completely new to them.

Lol. Let's just say as a viewer of American television i prefer full season orders whether it be 12 or 24. 6/7 episodes just doesn't cut if for me esp. when i really start getting into the show and BAM that's it, over. Mostly due to the faults of the American networks who are largely to blame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen the Shield I would say its closer to the general confusion of the early episodes of Hill Street Blues with the shaky camera work from NYPD Blue thrown in.

A good show and better than any cop show currently made in the UK.

What was the final of Season1?
    Was it the shooting of one of the detectives at the bad neighbour’s front door?

I assume scoobyju1 meant More4 not E4

Correct.
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sorry I meant More4, not E4! I've noticed More4 getting more & more great shows that I think get easily overlooked (The Closer, Southland & The Good Wife come to mind)

I hadn't reaslied that each season is only 6-7 episodes, that's a little disappointing as I'm really getting into it.

Anyone else think the two leads looks like each other? (Office John Cooper & Officer Ben Sherman!)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, i've been watching as well - it's great. I know it's struggled a bit in the states and was initially cancelled, but another network has picked it up and there's a 3rd season starting in jan 2011.

i wasn't surprised to see kevin alejandro in it though - he always plays detectives or lawyers :)

I liked the storyline with the young girl as the witness in the gang shooting though - that was handled pretty well over the course of a few episodes, and I imagine they'll probably revisit it at some point as well.
  • andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    Yeh really enjoying it, which is odd cus i've never been into any of the american cop shows or anything like that, but watched this cus i knew Ben McKenzie was in it and i'm hooked, realy enjoy it. Agree about really liking the story about the girl and witness protection. Really like that story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was nice to see Sucre from Prison Break in the first ep. of Season 2 which started last Thursday. Guess he finally escaped! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also saw Avon Barksdale in one episode :D
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im watching it and like it, let me guess nbc originally aired it in the us?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, you're right - initially on NBC and picked up by TNT.

However ...
    On April 26, 2010, TNT announced it had picked up Southland for a ten-episode third season to begin airing in January 2011.TNT's renewal of the show included a substantial budget cut and corresponding cast reduction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    been enjoying this show, it definately has 'something' about it. A few of the characters are a bit 'meh' but the black female detective is really strong and the uni with the bad back/rookie dynamic is good. Also great to see people like Wood Harris (Avon) popping up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However
    On April 26, 2010, TNT announced it had picked up Southland for a ten-episode third season to begin airing in January 2011.TNT's renewal of the show included a substantial budget cut and corresponding cast reduction.

That doesn't sound too good! Budget cut and cast reduction? I quite like all the various people who work in the cop shop. I think they have the right amount of characters, not too many nor too little. I'd hate to see some of the cast axed.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah been watching this on more4. Definitely has an "X factor" to this show. I am enjoying it more than I did with The Wire. I know the documentary style has been done before in cop shows but in this show it really works well and fits in with the show. In other cop shows that have used it it was just used for effect and didn't work that well.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    That doesn't sound too good! Budget cut and cast reduction? I quite like all the various people who work in the cop shop. I think they have the right amount of characters, not too many nor too little. I'd hate to see some of the cast axed.

I think there are too many characters :)

They should just concentrate on bloke from the OC and Michael Cudlitz. And Regina King and her white partner. They were the only characters who really stood out (and yet I can't recall the 'white partner's name!:o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    I think there are too many characters :)

They should just concentrate on bloke from the OC and Michael Cudlitz. And Regina King and her white partner. They were the only characters who really stood out (and yet I can't recall the 'white partner's name!:o)

That's too little in my opinion. Her partner's name is Russ.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    That's too little in my opinion. Her partner's name is Russ.

Of course, Russ. I could've looked that up, couldn't I? :D:o

I can't but help compare this to the Shield where you had Mackey, Shane, Lem and Ronnie with Dutch and Claudette and the Captain.

Ok, so maybe just four would be too few. But I still think too many characters and it's not like the Wire where that's a good thing. I feel too many characters in Southland are a bit anonymous.

Where a relatively minor character in the Wire like Landsmann can be hugely memorable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Of course, Russ. I could've looked that up, couldn't I? :D:o

I can't but help compare this to the Shield where you had Mackey, Shane, Lem and Ronnie with Dutch and Claudette and the Captain.

Ok, so maybe just four would be too few. But I still think too many characters and it's not like the Wire where that's a good thing. I feel too many characters in Southland are a bit anonymous.

Where a relatively minor character in the Wire like Landsmann can be hugely memorable.

This programme's not trying to be like The Wire. It's its own thing. It's ridiculous to compare every single cop drama to The Wire. The Wire is over. New cops shows eventually are going to come into play and they have to find its feet. Hopefully with the 3rd season next year Southland will and we can delve more into the minor characters who have yet to make an impact. But maybe this will happen with the 2nd season. It's only just started.

Besides i don't want to turn this into vs The Wire thread. It's pointless.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However ...

I dislike nbc tbh, they cancelled heroes (okay it was dying)

But they cancelled trauma which imo was great!
    And they cancelled southland.

Nbc are rubbish in my opinion anyway