Options

BBC One HD losing D.O.G. over past few days

Comments

• Options
    racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you edit the position of the channels yourself? My TV provider offers 2 fastscan lists, a SD list and a HD list. In the HD list the HD channels are on the position the SD channels normally are. And the SD channels are hidden in the 500 range. Easy for people who don't want to compile their own preferred channel listing.
  • Options
    NoDOGsNoDOGs Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever watch the HD channels, entirely due to them being spoiled by DOGs. If they do swap the EPG positions of SD and HD channels without removing their DOGs then I'll be pretty miffed and still only watch the SD versions!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Short of sticking a huge DOG across the middle of the screen shouting "GO TO CHANNEL 51 YOU BLITHERING HALFWIT" I don't see any way of getting people who don't care to use the HD version. They're not bothered enough.
    Freesat has a reminder that a programme is also in HD, with a ability to click OK to go to it, I presume Sky has something similar?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Freesat has a reminder that a programme is also in HD, with a ability to click OK to go to it, I presume Sky has something similar?

The Freeview HD standard also has this feature, however not all Freeview HD box manufacturers have implemented it as yet (via a firmware upgrade).
  • Options
    TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    mersey70 wrote: »
    It's back on for The Apprentice

It was back on before that. I caught it's fade in at 20:02.
  • Options
    TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    mwardy wrote: »
    So if people prefer it this way, perhaps they should contact them to give them some positive feedback.

https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/emailPage?entryID=&id=GP0U2BML1H8IREDVR3TBR48RLK&moduleID=&uid=983220922

I did...

I've sent one with this actual forum link inside so they can see we are really disgruntled about it returning.

Hopefully it would do the trick of killing the woof woof for good.

Oh, flip. I forgot I posted the last post which means I would have had a edit button.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Not on my Panasonic it doesn't, not on Freesat or Freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Not on my Panasonic it doesn't, not on Freesat or Freeview.
    As mossy2103 says, it is an available feature on both Freesat & Freeview HD, but it looks like only some boxes/TVs have updated their firmware so far to enable it.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    It's gone again but I don't know when it went though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now it's back for Football Focus, very odd.
  • Options
    NSMHDNSMHD Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Back on again now, came on sometime during Football Focus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NSMHD wrote: »
    Back on again now, came on sometime during Football Focus.

It would be easy to assume they are starting to follow ITV and C4's use of their HD indicators but the food programme from Paris at 1130 was native but no DOG.

Odd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be easy to assume they are starting to follow ITV and C4's use of their HD indicators but the food programme from Paris at 1130 was native but no DOG.

Odd.
    Testing a D.O.G. fade out/in facility as per Sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Testing a D.O.G. fade out/in facility as per Sky?

Could be perhaps, but I haven't seen a fade out during a program, usually during the junctions. Actually seen the opposit where the dog fades in in the middle of a program!
    I wonder if the use an automated process for the DOG or is it controlled manually? Or both perhaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's off again at the moment, on Homes Under the Hammer.
    This must be on purpose, to test DOG free, he says hopefully :)
  • Options
    StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noticed it was missing when BBC Breakfast started this morning as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will disappear completely, but given they invested £££££s in designing it, I fear it won't, yet, at least. If they are testing a fade in/out system, they will obviously have to have a different policy to Sky as there are no ads. I know a movie channel in the US that has no ads brings the D.O.G. on for about the first minute or so, then brings it up for 15 seconds every 10 minutes or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, very interesting, it was off at the start of the news at six, then appeared half way through, then disappeared at 18:30 when it went to the red caption.
    It reappeared at the start of the party political broadcast then disappeared after during the promos, then back on again for the one show.
    I wonder if there is a bug with their software or are they testing removing it like sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is a bug with their software or are they testing removing it like sky.
    Hopefully they are going to remove it for the majority of the time, looks so much classier when it's gone, and shows much more respect for the composition filmmakers intended people to see.
  • Options
    mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it's coincidental/opportunistic upon the recent development of a silly spat, but the years long POV anti-DOG thread on the BBC message boards has been moved to a graveyard position in the last few days on the basis that it does not belong in the TV section(!). See message 4358.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=5439003&skip=4350
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems, from last night that the DOG is removed during the promos between program's like most other channles, although right now Heir Hunters is DOG free so who knows.
    Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless was DOGged last night. At the moment, Jeremy-Bargain Hunt isn't. Are either filmed in HD? I wasn't sure about BH (I presume not) but Pointless didn't look it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Pointless was DOGged last night. At the moment, Jeremy-Bargain Hunt isn't. Are either filmed in HD? I wasn't sure about BH (I presume not) but Pointless didn't look it.

Some Bargain Hunt episodes are in HD, the Sky Guide says today's episode isn't but tomnorrows is. Pointless isn't in HD although I have watched a celebrity edition that was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I don't think it's been on all morning, there was something in HD at 11 something and it wasn't on then.
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,323
    Forum Member
    the Sky Guide says today's episode isn't
    Today's episode is in HD according to the radio times.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/nsg5y/bargain-hunt--series-30---27-cornwall-5