Options

New Doctor Who Title Sequence complete

Comments

• Options
    jackamakkajackamakka Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is really strange, I saw this on Tumblr this morning and it had very few reblogs, so I reblogged it. And now it's here, omg strange world...

It's absolutely AMAZING!
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is excellent!:D
  • Options
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this, great graphics and the combination of the original theme with the newer version works wonders
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    jackamakka wrote: »
    This is really strange, I saw this on Tumblr this morning and it had very few reblogs, so I reblogged it. And now it's here, omg strange world...

It's absolutely AMAZING!

It only went live at 4am GMT today :p
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    xandercom wrote: »
    Can't show all of time and space inside 28 seconds

No such thing as can't.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely hate tacky transitions and couldn't for the life of me understand why the official one had the doors opening into the episode.

But, wow, you had me convinced with this one. Much more of a seamless transition and altogether polished sequence. :D Great stuff.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for "better than the official one!"

I liked the idea of the new official title sequence, what with more going on that just TARDIS through the vortex, but they just look so cheap and amateurish. Then here we have an actual amateur effort and its better than the professional work!

My guess is that the BBC didn't want to pay for someone to spend 300 hours producing the actual title sequence. They probably just got someone to knock it out during their lunch break :p
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Really good, and in your version Matt Smith doesn't look like Colin Baker!
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good, and in your version Matt Smith doesn't look like Colin Baker!

LOL so it isn't just me that thought that :D
  • Options
    Brian_SparlingBrian_Sparling Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Fantastic...great work!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Anyone else figure the current tv one isn't long-term?.

That pink gunge at the beginning seemed to me to be a crude attempt to mimic the web effect from Web of Fear and thus a nod to the series theme - the G.I.

Hopefully,it will be gone after this storyline is complete.

Then a bespoke for 50?.. and way things are looking they'll have to recomission a sequence anyway.
  • Options
    gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xander, I've been critical of your stuff before as I hoped you'd do something not overly based on the current titles, so I have to give credit where it's due, this is excellent! :D Really, really good. I love the spinning Tardis, its reflection in the icy waters, the way we move through the twinkle in Matt's eye. Good stuff!

Things I'd love to see in the next one: as summer_ste says, maybe another planet. Volcanic next perhaps ("he's like fire, and ice") - you could do that by using the BBC trick of having the Tardis steady in view and then suddenly throwing it forward at speed. Or having the planets/background suddenly shooting behind us keeping the Tardis in view (and your Tardis layer intact!). We'd only get a second of each planet but it would be fantastic!

I would also like you to lose that theme tune arrangement, it's horrible!

But they're just hopeful suggestions. Brilliant title sequence. I right enjoyed it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Xander, I've been critical of your stuff before as I hoped you'd do something not overly based on the current titles, so I have to give credit where it's due, this is excellent! :D Really, really good. I love the spinning Tardis, its reflection in the icy waters, the way we move through the twinkle in Matt's eye. Good stuff!

Things I'd love to see in the next one: as summer_ste says, maybe another planet. Volcanic next perhaps ("he's like fire, and ice") - you could do that by using the BBC trick of having the Tardis steady in view and then suddenly throwing it forward at speed. Or having the planets/background suddenly shooting behind us keeping the Tardis in view (and your Tardis layer intact!). We'd only get a second of each planet but it would be fantastic!

I would also like you to lose that theme tune arrangement, it's horrible!

But they're just hopeful suggestions. Brilliant title sequence. I right enjoyed it. :)

That's your lot for now, other projects to work on, but thanks for your kind words.
  • Options
    GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Oh wow! As John Barrowman might say: "Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!" :D
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    see if the fans were more in charge of the show imo we would get more awesomeness like this
  • Options
    Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incredible!!

And to say you have no where near the resources and money/ man power of the BBC, you would never know.

Keep up the great work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm happy to report that the BBC chose not to contest the counter-claim I submitted, in response to their claim that they owned copyright of my fan art Doctor Who intro sequence (and my fan art Eastenders Intro made well over a year ago).

Naturally my videos have been restored on YouTube, and I hope this serves as a reminder to emerging artists to keep working hard, don't let the corporate copyright trolls bully you when you have the best of intentions, and to continue expanding your skillset.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Naturally my videos have been restored on YouTube, and I hope this serves as a reminder to emerging artists to keep working hard, don't let the corporate copyright trolls bully you when you have the best of intentions, and to continue expanding your skillset.

I would hope it would also serve as a reminder to you that you are allowed to play with this stuff by the grace of the copyright holder, and not to bite the hand that feeds you.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of title sequences, does anyone think we'll get a new one for the 50th anniversary? They'd want to have something which looks fantastic in 3D wouldn't they?
  • Options
    Dr2PatDr2Pat Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Speaking of title sequences, does anyone think we'll get a new one for the 50th anniversary? They'd want to have something which looks fantastic in 3D wouldn't they?

They would have to remake the existing one anyway to add the 3d effects, so may as well do a new one. Don't like it anyway to be honest (except the face bit).
    Hopefully they do something as amazing as what xandercom has done. In my opinion he really should get the job.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YAY! I thought we'd lost this one, I'm so glad you've had them restored! Your work is absolutely outstanding and this is certainly the best DW intro sequence I have ever seen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm happy to report that the BBC chose not to contest the counter-claim I submitted, in response to their claim that they owned copyright of my fan art Doctor Who intro sequence (and my fan art Eastenders Intro made well over a year ago).

You still have outstanding arrogance I see. Your attitude will not endeare you to future employers/clients. The BBC had every right to remove the videos, you used their work and passed it off as your own. The end.

I hope they are removed again.
  • Options
    scumcatscumcat Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Not bothered the guys attitude stinks I wish the beeb had hit him with both barrels. I notice he uses this thread to announce his victory when the original was a much bigger thread that was much more critical of him d***
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy is very talented, you can't deny that but his attitude really irks me. He has said multiple times in the comments in Youtube that anyone who uses elements of his intro sequences would be stealing his work. It may have been him who pulled it all together but too many of the elements (the theme tune, the TARDIS, the logo, the show title etc) closely resemble someone else's copyright for him to claim complete ownership. In this case the BBC has the copyright over the individual elements used to build it and therefore full entitlement to protect their trademarks and ask Youtube to remove it. The arrogance of then telling other people not to use his ideas as it would be theft astounds me.

The idea of a blue police box flying through space and through time tunnels while the Doctor Who theme tune plays in the background is not original and has been used since 1963 by the BBC.

In the end his intro sequence is an adaption of someone else's work as is all the other fanart out there. I hope he continues developing his skills etc as he is talented but if all copyright and trademark is fair game for him to use then it works both ways with anything he has created, especially if it was created with someone else's trademarks at it's core.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it!! Well done!!:)