Options

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That stuff about Civil forfeiture was mind boggling.

Surely ambulance chaser type lawyers would be all over these cases?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »

Did anyone watch the Daily Show on Comedy Central tonight? I watched it online and they had a section with Parliamentary footage (from the Iraq War 3 debate). Did CC edit that out?

I'm pretty sure that CC left that bit in
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky EPG has next weeks show marked as ‘last in the series’.
    I thought this was going to run throughout the year with the occasional week or two week break, like The Daily Show and the late night talk shows.
    Anyone know what’s going on?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're just basically going off on a break until the new year, so they're billing it as the 'last in the series'. Although saying that, looking on epguides, they do have it mapped out as "Season 1" with 24 episodes, so maybe it will actually follow a tradtional season format, which would be weird considering the type of show it is I suppose.

http://www.epguides.com/LastWeekTonightwithJohnOliver/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky have also been referring to it as ‘season 1’ in their EPG, but I thought that was just their own weird numbering convention.
    I’m sure I read it was to run all year round, so even a 8+ week break until the new year seems out of character for a show of its type.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    The Sky EPG has next weeks show marked as ‘last in the series’.
    I thought this was going to run throughout the year with the occasional week or two week break, like The Daily Show and the late night talk shows.
    Anyone know what’s going on?

Technically its not on full runs. It was commissioned for 24 episodes, which its reached.

Its set to return in February (according to audience tickets website) and will probably do another full run through to November
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Technically its not on full runs. It was commissioned for 24 episodes, which its reached.

Its set to return in February (according to audience tickets website) and will probably do another full run through to November

Thanks for the information. I’m somewhat disappointed.
    Although if it does a regular run of February to November with just the occasional weeks break then I suppose that’s not too bad. This still delivers the goods more than The Daily Show for me right now so I was hoping it would air all year round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great show this week to end the season. The ‘salmon cannon’ was brilliant and the people they got to be involved in the bit was impressive – David Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Tom Hanks, Homer Simpson plus loads more.

I also enjoyed the ending with all the returning ‘characters’. Plus the full version of the theme song.

I’m looking forward to its return in 2015 already.
    :)

By the way, if you happen to find yourself in New York, the HBO store has ‘Last Week Tonight’ merchandise. I got myself a mug there a few weeks ago. I also made a pilgrimage to the studio. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way, if you happen to find yourself in New York, the HBO store has ‘Last Week Tonight’ merchandise. I got myself a mug there a few weeks ago. I also made a pilgrimage to the studio. :D

Ooh I will have to visit, I'm hoping to get chance to go to a Feb taping
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh I will have to visit, I'm hoping to get chance to go to a Feb taping

Just a heads up, the HBO shop and the Last Week Tonight studio are actually in two different places in Manhattan.
    I didn’t get to actually see the show while I was out there, but I did go to see The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon. When they release the months tickets for that (about 5,000 tickets) they current sell out in less than 5 seconds (I’m not joking), so good luck getting tickets for Last Week Tonight, hopefully its a bit easier for your sake!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the information. I’m somewhat disappointed.
    Although if it does a regular run of February to November with just the occasional weeks break then I suppose that’s not too bad. This still delivers the goods more than The Daily Show for me right now so I was hoping it would air all year round.

I assume they'll run on the same schedule as Real Time does, personally, with two weeks off every 6 weeks, weeks off for major holidays, a summer break and a winter until new year break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume they'll run on the same schedule as Real Time does, personally, with two weeks off every 6 weeks, weeks off for major holidays, a summer break and a winter until new year break.

That would make sence, both being HBO shows. But Last Week Tonight didn't take a summer break this year, hense my slight surprise at a 3 month break now. Is Real Time now off until February too?

Either way, its a well deserved break I guess (even if the puppet on the show did point out that Jimmy Fallon does 5 shows a week and doesn't take any such breaks! :D )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would make sence, both being HBO shows. But Last Week Tonight didn't take a summer break this year, hense my slight surprise at a 3 month break now. Is Real Time now off until February too?

Either way, its a well deserved break I guess (even if the puppet on the show did point out that Jimmy Fallon does 5 shows a week and doesn't take any such breaks! :D )

No, but that's also been constantly recommissioned for years, this was basically a 6 month trial run. I assume if it takes a spring break then VICE will run in it's spot. However they did promote it initially on Real Time. HBO want Real Time and Last Week Tonight as their versions of The Daily Show and Colbert Report. I actually think Larry Wilmore will have difficulty taking Colbert's spot and Last Week Tonight could go from strength to strength. I think Wilmore, like Lewis Black, is best used sparingly and Jessica from The Daily Show would be a better choice if they want to tick diversity boxes since she is both black, female and has a better tone for satirical delivery than Larry does.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm just glad it's coming back.
    Despite a few shows dedicated to US issues that don't effect UK viewers he usually still gets good value out of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but that's also been constantly recommissioned for years, this was basically a 6 month trial run. I assume if it takes a spring break then VICE will run in it's spot. However they did promote it initially on Real Time. HBO want Real Time and Last Week Tonight as their versions of The Daily Show and Colbert Report. I actually think Larry Wilmore will have difficulty taking Colbert's spot and Last Week Tonight could go from strength to strength. I think Wilmore, like Lewis Black, is best used sparingly and Jessica from The Daily Show would be a better choice if they want to tick diversity boxes since she is both black, female and has a better tone for satirical delivery than Larry does.

I wonder if Jon Oliver had known that Stephen Colbert was going to leave Comedy Central (for the Late Show) would he have stayed with The Daily Show a little longer as he would have been an absolute certainty for replacing Colbert.

Although rumour has it that he had already turned down an offer from CBS to replace Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show in favour of his HBO deal (CBS have confirmed they were in talks with Oliver, but have never confirmed an offer was made).

I personally think HBO is a great place for him. He might not get the number of viewers he’d get on CBS of Comedy Central but he does get a lot more creative freedom due to being on a non-commercial funded network, plus the HBO label also comes somewhat esteem for quality programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Jon Oliver had known that Stephen Colbert was going to leave Comedy Central (for the Late Show) would he have stayed with The Daily Show a little longer as he would have been an absolute certainty for replacing Colbert.

Although rumour has it that he had already turned down an offer from CBS to replace Craig Ferguson on The Late Late Show in favour of his HBO deal (CBS have confirmed they were in talks with Oliver, but have never confirmed an offer was made).

I personally think HBO is a great place for him. He might not get the number of viewers he’d get on CBS of Comedy Central but he does get a lot more creative freedom due to being on a non-commercial funded network, plus the HBO label also comes somewhat esteem for quality programming.

But he gets millions of viewers, just not paid for viewers. HBO use him as a marketing tool, they upload full length segments from his show to YouTube for free every week, and every week they get millions of views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But he gets millions of viewers, just not paid for viewers. HBO use him as a marketing tool, they upload full length segments from his show to YouTube for free every week, and every week they get millions of views.

True. I think a lot of broadcasters have seen what Jimmy Fallon can do (often getting over 20 million views of something on YouTube within a few days) and are following the same example.
    The trouble for NBC/Jimmy Fallon though is turning those views into actual money, as their money is still made by the traditional viewer watching it on TV (via advertising rates). But as you've said, HBO don't make money that way, so I guess they are using John Oliver as a marketing tool to drive up subscriptions (where their money is made).

Plus, for us UK viewers its nice to know you can watch it on YouTube, should Sky ever drop it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good news – Last Week Tonight with John Oliver returns to HBO for a new run on Sunday 8th February, and it should be on Sky Atlantic within a few days after.
  • Options
    chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news – Last Week Tonight with John Oliver returns to HBO for a new run on Sunday 8th February, and it should be on Sky Atlantic within a few days after.

It's being shown Monday night at 23:10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisr21 wrote: »
    It's being shown Monday night at 23:10

Excellent, it'll be on our screens less than 24 hours after the US broadcast (in fact about 24 hours after taping), even sooner than what Sky did previously. Thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shame it wasn't back a couple of weeks ago. John is from Fox's favourite Muslim held city, Birmingham. I'm sure he would have something to say. He probably still will.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Shame it wasn't back a couple of weeks ago. John is from Fox's favourite Muslim held city, Birmingham. I'm sure he would have something to say. He probably still will.

Yeah, I imagine he won't be able to resist covering that.

Looking forward to this. Hope they don't try and tweak the format or anything like that for the new run as there's really no need to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't need tweaking. It hit the ground running and kept up the quality, even if some of the main stories had no real interest for me, he still made them informative and entertaining.

Will be interesting to compare Brooker (News Wipe) and Oliver as they'll be on at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bump for tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was a bit surprised that he didn't mention ISIS/Jordan. I know it's not comedy gold but it is very topical.
    Possibly too close to home with the latest victim?

Good to see it back though.