Options

EE: Why does 'Michelle's' American toyboy have a Scottish accent?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the guy Munez in the movie Goal.

Check it out, it's uncanny !
  • Options
    paul_edwards3paul_edwards3 Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    He doesn't. You obviously don't know what a Scottish accent sounds like. :rolleyes:

Being half Scottish and having lived in Scotland I think I know what several Scottish accents sound like and he definitely slips into ne from time to time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Sounds like the guy Munez in the movie Goal.

Check it out, it's uncanny !

Is Munez a Scots/Canadian/Yank too? :D
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was hearing things.

I was busy doing something else during one of their scenes in the kitchen the other night and looked back at the screen when I heard what sounded like a Scottish accent.

I assumed I must have misheard. Lmao.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Munez a Scots/Canadian/Yank too? :D

Kuno Becker's character in the movie is meant to be Mexican.. :D
  • Options
    West CoastWest Coast Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    He seems to have covered a wide variety of accents in the several days since he appeared so maybe he was just ticking another one off the list.

Although, not knowing which type of accent he'll speak his next line in is the main source of interest in his and Michelle's scenes for me, so I guess I can't complain too much.
  • Options
    Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    He is so hot :D
  • Options
    davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Its an absolute joke what has happened to the legacy of one of EastEnders greatest characters.
    I am miffed as to how anyone on here can still defend it.

It's hardly that important, just a character in a soap. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any proof the actor is English?

He appears to be half Russian going by his accent and he has photos from Russia on his Instagram. He could well be half Russian half American with English influences. Definitely not Scottish
  • Options
    Rick_JRick_J Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh Michelle is loathsome and tiresome, her accent is phony and she has nothing about the old Michelle about her, not even able to carry a hint of convincingly being from the East End. She looks uncomfortable doing the role and she seems more out of it day by day. Her scenes to develop rapport with Phil and Sharon as the trusted confidante and "I'll mind the kids" were so contrived and cringeworthy. Just get rid of her and bring Mark back to meet his Dad.

As for the irritating jobbing drama school reject who plays her "American" drama queen toyboy...seriously Eastenders just employ a real American not someone who rolls his Rs and watched a few episodes of Dawsons Creek and the OC as preparation.
  • Options
    ZarlaZarla Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Michelle always comes across to me as having a northern accent.
  • Options
    Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the accent is fine, personally. I guess it just sticks out a lot.
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's utterly laughable. Isn't he supposed to be from Florida? That is no southern drawl!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    West Coast wrote: »
    He seems to have covered a wide variety of accents in the several days since he appeared so maybe he was just ticking another one off the list.

Although, not knowing which type of accent he'll speak his next line in is the main source of interest in his and Michelle's scenes for me, so I guess I can't complain too much.

He is supposed to be from north Florida - Panhandle country - which is effectively the Deep South in accent terms as Michelle said she lived near Pensacola airport?. Yet he talks like some Jimmy Cagney gangster from the north.

Maybe he should have watched Gone with the Wind not fifties gangster movies.
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    He is supposed to be from north Florida - Panhandle country - which is effectively the Deep South in accent terms as Michelle said she lived near Pensacola airport?. Yet he talks like some Jimmy Cagney gangster from the north.

Exactly this. I have lived in America and visit frequently, I have never heard anyone speak like that. It really is like some 50s gangster accent :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I thought I was hearing things.

I was busy doing something else during one of their scenes in the kitchen the other night and looked back at the screen when I heard what sounded like a Scottish accent.

I assumed I must have misheard. Lmao.

Thank god it wasn't just me!
    He seems to have trouble hiding his Scottish accent when he says a word with an 'o' in it.
  • Options
    TimWil014TimWil014 Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I think he definitely should have had an accent with a Georgia, Mississippi or Alabama twang. They could have used this to explain he was a recent Southern transplant to the school, was feeling isolated and Michelle befriended him.

Instead this kid is talking like he's watched Bugsy Malone a few times. Well, at least he's good looking.
  • Options
    morrisleemorrislee Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought his accent was ok ,didn't get the Scottish sound
  • Options
    ClassicGarfieldClassicGarfield Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol he doesn't sound Scottish at all. Take this from someone who hears it everyday :D

His accent is fine. At leat he isn't doing a Mark, that was embarrassing.
  • Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't sound remotely Scottish.

As for Mark Fowler- they did explain that he went to a British boarding School so he could get the accent as it "impresses the girls"

Totally dumb explanation but at least they did explain it.
  • Options
    TimWil014TimWil014 Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Uhhh, "British schools" in the US don't exist AT ALL. It wasn't just a "dumb explanation," it was an Alternative Fact! In other words it was a LIE.
  • Options
    James_LanganJames_Langan Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Maybe he's ftom Southie in Boston. If you here him saying he's looking for his khakis it's a clue because outside of Boston he would say he was looking for his car keys.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Because the Scottish accents are amongst the sexiest accents in the world and their trying to up the shows appeal without too much expense? Love Scottish sexy voices whispering in my ear 😘😉
  • Options
    Kevin_McGrathKevin_McGrath Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine Preston's accents are there because he can't act too well. Accents are the least of it.