Bethany Platt – their first choice….ish actress

zonizoni Posts: 3,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A couple of years back I was a little intrigued by the “Casting of Bethany Platt” saga on Corrie, finally won by Lucy Fallon, who I think plays a great Bethany and at 21 she does just about pass as a 16 going on 17 year old even next to 15 year old Faye.

Anyway like a few, I always wanted to know if the then then 25 year old Katie Redford could really play a 14+ year old realistically, particularly with Tina O’Brian still looking so youthful. Two years on I think I have the answer.

I have been catching up on BBC’s Doctors on iPlayer and surprise, surprise Katie is having a short stint playing a 18 year old work experience student at the Doctors surgery ………….. acting a character called Bethany Morris!!

My conclusion is, 27 year old Katie may look younger than the average nearly 28 year old and could pass as 21 but she does not look remotely 16 and therefore daughter of a Sarah Platt. But you can judge for yourself, 2 mins 45 secs into the following episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08dr5dc/doctors-series-18-142-hoops

Comments

• PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    I have to say that amongst all the deadwood on C.S. She is a deadly wee actress.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still makes makes me laugh if it wasn't for a eagle eye ds member, she might not have been found out, but she seems to have recovered, I swear she was in a Mc Donalds advert recently.

It wouldn't of worked, she still never looked 14.
  • hulakulahulakula Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    She looks the same age as Sarah, it would have been ridiculous trying to pass her off as a 14 year old.
  • Hollyoaks14Hollyoaks14 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Still makes makes me laugh if it wasn't for a eagle eye ds member, she might not have been found out, but she seems to have recovered, I swear she was in a Mc Donalds advert recently.

:confused:
  • VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I didn't get was how she managed to get the role in the first place when she would have been checked?! She would have had to give them fake ID like passport, driving lisence and did she really think she would get away with it when it was her birthday and she would have been out celebrating and all the pictures on Twitter & Instagram etc!
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Interesting that the name of her character in Doctors is Bethany
  • The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    Interesting that the name of her character in Doctors is Bethany

Maybe she likes the name, or is just good at getting roles involving a Bethany character. If I were her agent I would check if Hollywood were casting a big budget movie with a Bethany in the lead!

Seriously, glad she is bouncing back, the pressure and media attention in 2015 could not have been easy to cope with. I saw her in the prequel "Young Hyacinth" last summer, but because it was set in the 1950's it was difficult to see her in modern day Weatherfield. I would say she looks like a younger close relative of Sarah so I see why she was initially appointed, but too close in age to be her daughter.

Lucy Fallon is doing a good job so Corrie got the casting right, in the end.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 14-16 yr ols actress should have been cast as Bethany; the one chosen is a good actress, but she looks in her 20's andi does not fit in with the storyline.
  • Hollyoaks14Hollyoaks14 Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt sorry for the poor girl. I don't believe she lied about her age I think the corrie casting team selected her knowing full well how old she was. They then played it down and knocked a few years off her age during their press release about her casting when the realised how controversial it was casting someone of her age to play a child, completely underestimating how obsessive some fans are on the internet.

Surely she would have had to show ID and whatnot when signing a contract? She was hardly secretive about her real age, her twitter username included her year of birth.

Her agent took the blame for it in the end but was she just a scapegoat to save Coronation Street the embarrassment? Maybe they bunged her a few quid to take the rap to take the heat off them?
  • Lisa_CharleneLisa_Charlene Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad Lucy fallon got the part. She is a fab actress
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Fallon is an excellent actress. I'm glad she got the role.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Sarah O'Brien appeared in Waterloo Road, she was passed off at 17 when she was in fact about 10 years older. Same goes for many other actresses who passed through the corridors after previous soap roles,
  • RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 14-16 yr ols actress should have been cast as Bethany; the one chosen is a good actress, but she looks in her 20's andi does not fit in with the storyline.

She looks fine portraying a 16 year old. Lucy Fallon is a great actress - an asset to the show.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    When Sarah O'Brien appeared in Waterloo Road, she was passed off at 17 when she was in fact about 10 years older. Same goes for many other actresses who passed through the corridors after previous soap roles,

Tina O'Brien has a very youngish face, it would of been ridiculous to have someone so close to her age play her daughter imo.
  • MANU_FC1MANU_FC1 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I'm glad Lucy fallon got the part. She is a fab actress
    I agree
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Lucy Fallon is an excellent actress. I'm glad she got the role.
    I agree
    RickLopez wrote: »
    She looks fine portraying a 16 year old. Lucy Fallon is a great actress - an asset to the show.
    I agree
    I disagree

Everyone matures slightly differently and I agree with the poster she does pass (just about) as someone about to turn 17 in a couple of months. I think the actress who only turned 21 a few months ago, looks 18-20 years old and comfortably plays 16-21; if anything she looks MUCH closer to 17 than 25 (four years in either direction from her real age)!!
  • MANU_FC1MANU_FC1 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    zoni wrote: »
    A couple of years back I was a little intrigued by the “Casting of Bethany Platt” saga on Corrie, finally won by Lucy Fallon, who I think plays a great Bethany and at 21 she does just about pass as a 16 going on 17 year old even next to 15 year old Faye.

Anyway like a few, I always wanted to know if the then then 25 year old Katie Redford could really play a 14+ year old realistically, particularly with Tina O’Brian still looking so youthful. Two years on I think I have the answer.

I have been catching up on BBC’s Doctors on iPlayer and surprise, surprise Katie is having a short stint playing a 18 year old work experience student at the Doctors surgery ………….. acting a character called Bethany Morris!!

My conclusion is, 27 year old Katie may look younger than the average nearly 28 year old and could pass as 21 but she does not look remotely 16 and therefore daughter of a Sarah Platt. But you can judge for yourself, 2 mins 45 secs into the following episode.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08dr5dc/doctors-series-18-142-hoops

Regarding Katie, just looked at the Doctors episode where she is apparently playing 18. I would agree with the poster, she looks at least 21/22 but not much older than say 24; regardless too old to play 16 going on 17 Bethany Platt!!
  • NefersitraNefersitra Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »

As I recall the fuss with Katie was that someone was lying about her age in the press releases and had removed references to her age - and I think when she attended Uni - from websites rather than the actual age.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought it was her in the McDonald's ad. The one where two women get stuck in a lift.
  • The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 378
    Forum Member

ewoodie wrote: »
    I thought it was her in the McDonald's ad. The one where two women get stuck in a lift.

I just viewed the advert on YouTube. I honestly cant tell either way if it is Katie. All I can say is that the blonde looks mid 20's and that they are both easy on the eye!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_C55otdwcM
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't she now joined The Archers as a youngster. Maybe she has a young voice.

She never looked like she could pass as a 15yr old as Bethany was
  • SS_SummerSS_Summer Posts: 2,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely agree. Especially since they have written Bethany as trying to act more mature and grown up than her age. She is doing a good job as an actress but I always have trouble believing she is a teenager. Its particularly unbelievable when you have Bethany made up all the time and looking like the adult Lucy Fallon is. MAYBE if they had her not wearing makeup and not acting like a grown up I could buy her being younger - Im really not sure why they chose to style her the way they do.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Hasn't she now joined The Archers as a youngster. Maybe she has a young voice.

She never looked like she could pass as a 15yr old as Bethany was

Yes, she does. She plays Lily Pargeter. I believe she is also a writer too.
  • Joe_H11Joe_H11 Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    Didn't it turn out she lied to ITV