Options

Masterchef Australia SERIES 4 starts soon

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So delighted this show is back! Far superior to the UK show, although I do appreciate the beeb only has a limited schedule time for the show, rather than the mahoosive 6 nights a week over 3-4 months the Australian version takes up.

I was shocked Julie won in series 1, but I think the wrong 2 were in the final. Justine was robbed, I still think this now! And Chris should have been in the final. Adam was great in series 2 as the winner. I wasn't hugely impressed Kate won series 3 as I thought Michael was better and would actually benefit more from the prizes. But, he is working in the industry.

Hopefully no drama this series, unlike last year with Mat. I felt bad for him. He really was thrown to the lions.
  • Options
    M. GambittM. Gambitt Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Great to see the return of this! I'm a huge fan of it! The chemistry between the judges is what makes it for me. They genuinely seem to like and get on with each other.

I love the new Melbourne location, it's a beautiful building!

I knew ' Big Kev ' would go straight through to the top 24 , he seems likeable and genuine .

Felt sorry for the girl who dropped her chicken :eek:
  • Options
    triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Hopefully no drama this series, unlike last year with Mat. I felt bad for him. He really was thrown to the lions.

He broke the rules and had to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M. Gambitt wrote: »
    I love the new Melbourne location, it's a beautiful building!

They are only there till the top 24 is decided, then it's back to Sydney as in past series. However, the MasterChef kitchen building has been sold (it was being leased from the owner by the TV network). They move to Melbourne for series 5 next year, but not to the Exhibition Building where you are seeing the top 50 now.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Loved last night's. I also love the judges.:)
    I'm a veggie, so I understand there must be issues with contestants not eating certain foods.

Would love to see a vegetarian masterchef series.
    Why can't they do it? So many beautiful veggies, spices & herbs etc to be had in today's world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving the series so far. Have taken a rather strange dislike to Audra, which dimmed slightly at the sight of that tart. Wow.
    Felt awful for Filippo and I hope he gets an apron. But I suppose you can argue that all that time flapping over fish for Amina, he should have realised the dish was impossible and instead start thinking about ways to modify and change his dish.
  • Options
    CookmeparsnipsCookmeparsnips Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved last night's. I also love the judges.:)
    I'm a veggie, so I understand there must be issues with contestants not eating certain foods.

Would love to see a vegetarian masterchef series.
    Why can't they do it? So many beautiful veggies, spices & herbs etc to be had in today's world.

I think that would be great! And another masterchef series.. yay!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Filippo, he reminds me of Steve Buscemi.
  • Options
    brendans babebrendans babe Posts: 34,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening,

glad to see a forum on this - i love masterchef australia. Theres too many yet for me to even figure out who is who!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, they're just a load of people so far.

But I have warmed to Filippo (Steve Buscemi), the muslim lady with the hijab, the young woman with the tattooed sleeve, and the lady who made the curry that George liked, and the first guy that went through. I have not warmed to the lady just now (Fiona?) who pulled a really odd face when she served her food and looked totally gormless when Matt was talking to her.
  • Options
    M. GambittM. Gambitt Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    triton333 wrote: »
    They are only there till the top 24 is decided, then it's back to Sydney as in past series. However, the MasterChef kitchen building has been sold (it was being leased from the owner by the TV network). They move to Melbourne for series 5 next year, but not to the Exhibition Building where you are seeing the top 50 now.

Thanks for that, interesting to know !!
    I'm loving the series so far. Have taken a rather strange dislike to Audra, which dimmed slightly at the sight of that tart. Wow.
    Felt awful for Filippo and I hope he gets an apron. But I suppose you can argue that all that time flapping over fish for Amina, he should have realised the dish was impossible and instead start thinking about ways to modify and change his dish.

I felt sorry for Filippo too I really hope he makes it through!
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I agree, they're just a load of people so far.

But I have warmed to Filippo (Steve Buscemi), the muslim lady with the hijab, the young woman with the tattooed sleeve, and the lady who made the curry that George liked, and the first guy that went through. I have not warmed to the lady just now (Fiona?) who pulled a really odd face when she served her food and looked totally gormless when Matt was talking to her.

I shouldn't judge as I don't know the girl but Fiona was winding me up somehow as well - her mannerisms?:confused: She wrecked the salmon!:eek: I like Amina too, but my heart did go out to Fillipo having to lose so much time. Again, I'm not warming to Audra either. Loving Tegan so far ( the girl with the tattoos).:)
  • Options
    BubblegumsBubblegums Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    That poor salmon. He did have a problem didn't he (can't remember the name)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    addix wrote: »
    I've only just got into Masterchef Australia with the 1st series - can't belive who eventually won it given they could hardly produce a dish on time most weeks. Hope this series isn't such an anticlimax.

Yeah the result wasn't well received in all quarters. Great to hear in the series opener that Poh has a TV show... wonder if it's a one off or a whole series :confused: . Would be good if we got it over here... Good Food shows quite a few Aussie series now... I think they realise we have a taste for them :o

Amazed they allowed steamy cooking in such a beautiful building...

No faves ATM...I'll wait till the Top 24 is confirmed...

BTW: They did an All Stars series over the Olympics with returners from previous 3 series... raising £££ for charidees...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Why do people like that Amina? She annoys the hell out of me, I can't stand the fact that she got an apron over that Filippo.

Most of the people going through are those I can't stand.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey some of you really do develop an unhealthy hatred of some of these contestants
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still annoyed with season 1 that Justine didn't win. In terms of potential and ability, she was so far ahead. Po was too much of a po-llercoaster (Matt Preston's term, not mine). She was either amazing or terrible.
    Julie did show improvements and her cookbook idea was lovely, and if I was going to cook recipes from a book, it would be hers. Of the final 3. Justine actually has a TV show called Everyday Gourmet which aired on good food here. I missed it. So cross.

Last night was pretty poor - what an appalling waste of expensive food! Then to see such a beautiful and expensive product get hacked to bits. Not good. Salmon is a treat for me as it's normally expensive! But also fascinating - I did not know it was that simple to make butter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey some of you really do develop an unhealthy hatred of some of these contestants

I suggest you don't go to the Great British Bake Off page. Some of the comments about Cathryn are actually disgusting. Although, some of the blogs I've seen about Cathryn, Sarah-Jane and John are just cruel and unnecessary.

Audra rubbed me up the wrong way as I knew beforehand she had a food business in Australia and that's not meant to be allowed per the rules (my friend lives in Melbourne, watched the series and said there was a lot of controversy in the press of her being able to take part). But, they've allowed her to take part so she obviously didn't break them. And her tart was amazing - I want to make it, if I can find the recipe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suggest you don't go to the Great British Bake Off page. Some of the comments about Cathryn are actually disgusting. Although, some of the blogs I've seen about Cathryn, Sarah-Jane and John are just cruel and unnecessary.

Audra rubbed me up the wrong way as I knew beforehand she had a food business in Australia and that's not meant to be allowed per the rules (my friend lives in Melbourne, watched the series and said there was a lot of controversy in the press of her being able to take part). But, they've allowed her to take part so she obviously didn't break them. And her tart was amazing - I want to make it, if I can find the recipe!

What do they say about Cathryn? Personally I think she's awesome! She seems so lovely and sweet, like she'd be a really good mum to her young kids, so why be cruel? Probably because she's also quite attractive I suppose and they're jealous.

That is also interesting about Audra. I also thought her tart looked yummy and I did want her to go through because the woman she was with in the car said theyd have eggs in the pantry when she thought about stopping to get some. My opinion has slightly shifted on her if she is not strictly an amateur in the food industry.

The one issue I have with this version over the British one - which is certainly not on a par with the Aussie one - is that just about everyone does a curry and seems to go through with it. I think 3 of the people already through to the top 24 have done so with a curry. The woman who got through last night with one has made three seperate curry dishes and got in the top 24. Obviously variety is not the spice of life for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh because saying she's faking the sweet and helpless act. I think personally I would be exactly the same. You have 2 baking legends judging you, in front of cameras in a pressurised, timed environment. I would be terrified, even if I knew I'd got that far on how good a baker I was. It's the same as the dislike for Holly last year. It's ok if people don't like you, it's when they make personal attacks on parenting, personality and lifestyle when you don't know the person at all.
    Please note - it's not people on this forum that have been quite so personal in their dislike. It's actually blogs that are the worse for this. Particular focus is on John and Cathryn and now Sarah-Jane too, I know from twitter that John and Cathryn had seen one of the more vicious blogs and were genuinely really upset about it.
    I
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone watching!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course! That dessert looks bonkers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this seems a harder test than some had to get through!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh because saying she's faking the sweet and helpless act. I think personally I would be exactly the same. You have 2 baking legends judging you, in front of cameras in a pressurised, timed environment. I would be terrified, even if I knew I'd got that far on how good a baker I was. It's the same as the dislike for Holly last year. It's ok if people don't like you, it's when they make personal attacks on parenting, personality and lifestyle when you don't know the person at all.
    Please note - it's not people on this forum that have been quite so personal in their dislike. It's actually blogs that are the worse for this. Particular focus is on John and Cathryn and now Sarah-Jane too, I know from twitter that John and Cathryn had seen one of the more vicious blogs and were genuinely really upset about it.
    I

I think X Factor is to blame for a lot of this type of dislike, believing people are fake because they appear nice. People on Bake Off and on Masterchef are not fame hungry, celebrity obsessed, egotists (like that Frankie from last year on XF), insead they are the people next door type who are there because they like to cook/bake and want a future doing that and don't just want to be famous. Just because they are nice and maybe insecure about their talent is not fake. Like you said, baking a simple cupcake in front of them two judges would make me nervous.

I don't dislike contestants on these cookery shows for their personalities as they are usually more grounded, it's just if they get in the way of other contestants performing to their best (like that Amina and the one who asked for a fish filleting leson in the middle of a timed challenge did), or simply do the same things over and over (like cooking 3 curries in a row as one of the top 24 did).

As for tonight's show, it was a great challenge and I think the right ones went through to the top 24 and to cook next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to hear in the series opener that Poh has a TV show... wonder if it's a one off or a whole series :confused: . Would be good if we got it over here...

Poh's Kitchen is into its 3rd year (S3 Ep1 was on Tuesday night here in Aus). It's a 30-minute show on in prime time on our BBC1 equivalent, ABC1. Each season has been very different (1st a studio kitchen, 2nd travelling, 3rd looks like she works with street/homeless people).
    http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/

Poh also appears with many past MCA contestants from the first 3 seasons in MCA All-Stars, which ran for three weeks in August after season 4.
    Elanor wrote: »
    That dessert looks bonkers.

If that's the fine dining dessert the top 50 had to do, it certainly was a very hard test for this stage of the competition.

If the listing guide http://uktv.co.uk/watch/tv is correct, the show is being scheduled differently in the UK. Here it started with auditions on Sunday, then four top 50 episodes Mon-Thur, with the dessert ep. on Thur, so you should have had five episodes by now. Masterclass here was always on Friday, but you have it on Thursday, and then you get a double episode on Friday (which for us was Sun, Mon of the 2nd week).