Doctor Who Series 1/5/31/Fnarg Episode 12: The Pandorica Opens- 6.40pm on BBC One

Comments

• TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butlerx12 wrote: »
    - I said to my husband last night, didnt the autons need to keep their original alive?...they kept mickey smith alive...so yeah, maybe rory has been alive all along. hope so.

I'm pretty sure it was implied that they can opt to keep the original live but needn't do so through necessity. I think it was played as a "isn't the Doctor alien?" moment that he hadn't thought to tell Rose that Mickey might still be alive. My memory could be faulty though, and I don't have any way of checking. Anyone?
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BibaNova wrote: »
    Or, an Alliance of the friends of the Doctor, they must be plenty of them.
    Really good at last, and now we only have one episode left!

I hope not, after Journey's End and would expect not because of Journey's End (ie, it'd all be a bit too familiar). I'm hoping that auton Rory comes to the rescue, that the Doctor has secreted River Song's vortex manipulator about his person or that she still has it and still has time to use it.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BibaNova wrote: »
    Now as to next week, will we see the Tardis being the cause of the big bang? Or, an Alliance of the friends of the Doctor, they must be plenty of them.

They had an alliance of friends at the end of series 4. They can't possibly repeat that at the end of 5.

The resolution is going to be all down to Amy and Amelia, I'll bet.
  • MarblepeteMarblepete Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Just to make a point of how great we thought it was, in less than 24 hours more people have voted excellent for it then voted in total for the lodger
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    butlerx12 wrote: »
    I think the doctor has been set up.

I'd be inclined to agree - his mentioning of goblins being tricked by good wizards etc made me think this. Though River said that she hated good wizards "because they usually turn out to be him" meaning the Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most kids know about Roman Centurions don't you know, haven't you seen Horrible Histories. My son has already had to go to school dressed in a toga for Roman day. It took all my strength not to say to him "And, what did the Romans ever do for us?"
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    ...that the Doctor has secreted River Song's vortex manipulator about his person or that she still has it and still has time to use it.

Good thinking - River Song did have a vortex manipulator, so she could have escaped.

I guess, from there, she goes to release the Doctor.

Wonder if the 'remember what I told you when you were 7 years old?' line from 'Flesh & Blood' is going to be an instruction from the Doctor to the younger Amy to prepare herself for the day when an auton Rory shoots her?

A 'Back To The Future'-style bullet-proof vest?

Regards,

Cypher
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Good thinking - River Song did have a vortex manipulator, so she could have escaped.

I guess, from there, she goes to release the Doctor.

Wonder if the 'remember what I told you when you were 7 years old?' line from 'Flesh & Blood' is going to be an instruction from the Doctor to the younger Amy to prepare herself for the day when an auton Rory shoots her?

A 'Back To The Future'-style bullet-proof vest?

Regards,

Cypher

Except that when the Doctor was put into the Pandorica, he didn't know that Auton Rory has just shot her.
  • jxpjxp Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fab episode this week. I liked the music stopping suddenly at the end as the universe ceased to have existed.

I think it was significant that you could still see the Earth after all the other stars and galaxies has gone.

At this point, the universe never existing seems to demand a reset button. It might even be the case where established continuity is all up for grabs too.
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Except that when the Doctor was put into the Pandorica, he didn't know that Auton Rory has just shot her.

Yup, but he would find out when he gets released from the Pandorica. Hence, he could tip off the younger Amy so she'd be able to prepare herself.

Regards,

Cypher
  • MarblepeteMarblepete Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    jxp wrote: »
    Fab episode this week. I liked the music stopping suddenly at the end as the universe ceased to have existed.

I think it was significant that you could still see the Earth after all the other stars and galaxies has gone.

At this point, the universe never existing seems to demand a reset button. It might even be the case where established continuity is all up for grabs too.

It was made even better by the lack of

NEXT WEEK!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Superb episode.

For me this season has been pretty poor in terms of each individual story, while Matt Smith and Karen Gillan have been excellent. But this episode was excellent, and it's a proper cliff hanger.

Can't wait for the next episode and the next season with Matt and Karen!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    jxp wrote: »

Established continuity was already up for grabs because of the Time War. So I don't believe in the reset button theory...
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote: »
    I thought it was okay. The Doctor's speech whilst standing on the stone was badly done though. I actually found myself thinking that David Tennant would have done it a hundred times better, with more passion and more conviction.

I had a few seconds of hope that Amy Pond was dead and would stay dead but I'm quite prepared for the re-set button to be put into play next week.

Agree about the speech - that was a bit cringeworthy and by far the worst part of the episode. Don't need a re-set button to bring Amy back as there was no evidence on screen that she is in fact dead.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it was implied that they can opt to keep the original live but needn't do so through necessity. I think it was played as a "isn't the Doctor alien?" moment that he hadn't thought to tell Rose that Mickey might still be alive. My memory could be faulty though, and I don't have any way of checking. Anyone?
    It was kind of implied in 'Rose' that the original needn't be kept alive, but since it was pretty much established in 'Spearhead from Space' that the originals were needed to keep the copies working, who knows? These replicas seem to be built by a different method anyway, created from the memories of a third party rather than from the memories of the subject being copied, so it's probably a moot point.
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can’t kill a Galifreyan. They regenerate.

Have you guys never seen Doctor Who before? The Doctor has been killed numerous times and always survived.

Then you kill him a couple of more times until all his regenerations have been used up. Indeed I have see Doctor Who before, not sure how much you have though.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Yup, but he would find out when he gets released from the Pandorica. Hence, he could tip off the younger Amy so she'd be able to prepare herself.

Regards,

Cypher
    Which I suspect may indeed be what happens, or close to it. How many times this year has he said 'time can be rewritten'? And what caused the noise Amy heard in the Underhenge which distracted her for a few moments and caused her to turn around?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ibdolent wrote: »
    Well I have to say that was the worst episode I have ever seen!
    No, just joking!! I thought it was superb, well crafted and thought out rather well. I can't wait to see the conclusion next week and see how the Doctor gets out of it!!

LOL. you're not actully missing all the fighting thats been missing this week are you? lol

serton wrote: »
    I really liked the episode. Have to say though that the end was amazing.

So many good bits, but that end when the music actually cut out and silence fell was brilliant and slightly subtle as well...

that was great and creepy all at the same time

One thing I am glad about is that it was true what some had mentioned about not seeing the vortex till now, and the titles vortex with the lightning wasn't just random, it actually tied into the story. I thought that was cool.

very cool yes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I'd much rather be here than Gallifrey Base Forums at the moment.

I was joking by the way from my initial "worst episode sentence". I've just watched the end of it again and it is clearly the best cliffhanger since The Stolen Earth. It's great when things come out from left field and surprise us. And this has certainly done that. For the benefit of the overseas fans who haven't seen it yet...just wait - you will love it!
    Forum Member
    Which I suspect may indeed be what happens, or close to it. How many times this year has he said 'time can be rewritten'? And what caused the noise Amy heard in the Underhenge which distracted her for a few moments and caused her to turn around?

Yup, there could be a bit of time-trickery similar to the final act of 'Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban' creeping in there.

I'm pretty convinced that the second Doctor we saw in 'Flesh & Stone' was forewarning Amy about her demise - he showed a lot of affection towards her in that scene in a 'if this doesn't work, this will be the last time I see her' kinda way. Made sense to do it when she had her eyes closed, as it might otherwise have disrupted the timeline in other ways.

I suppose the other big clue in the episode was the comment about Amy's house having too many rooms. Which means either that there's something wrong with the house, or there are people missing in the house that should be there.

Maybe Amy's house is the real TARDIS (or just the top floor of it to tie in with 'The Lodger'), and the one the Doctor has been piloting about this season (and consistently arriving late in) was always a fake booby-trapped to explode by the Big Bad.

And, if it is a fake TARDIS, then presumably the Big Bad could only be a timelord...

Regards,

Cypher
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Must have been a good episode. Only 6 muppets this week. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Ibdolent wrote: »
    I'd much rather be here than Gallifrey Base Forums at the moment.

How come, are they all fighting or something? (don't have a login...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good episode indeed, set up nicely for the finale

Pardon my stupidity lol, but just rewatched the end, is the reason river is apologising because despite her best efforts she cannot stop the TARDIS from exploding??

Sorry, rather slow on the uptake :D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    How come, are they all fighting or something? (don't have a login...)

Oh it's just the most horrendous place. Honestly. Every thread always descends into bickering and arguing about the most trivial and pathetic thing. I've posted there on and off but it's getting to the stage where I just can't be bothered with it anymore. The atmosphere is just way too confrontational, and you can't help but get pulled into ridiculous nonsense.

e.g.
    Unfortunately it has taken the new prod team 12 eps to produce an episode on a par with the RTD era

There's only so much of that sort of crap you can read before you start to retaliate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I just rewatched and was thinking, who was that voice speaking to River in the Tardis?

It seems to me the person who's voice that was, forced the Tardis to blow up.