Options

New Zombie TV series - AMCs The Walking Dead (Upcoming)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
Forum Member
Fans of the zombie genre are finally in for a mega treat. Over the years there have been countless rumours and just as many aborted TV projects revolving around the classic zombie story.

The most notable was perhaps ALIVE, a TV pilot penned by Star Trek veterans, that launched a massive viral campaign before any shooting on the pilot itself begun. The ALIVE project launched in 2007, simultaneously launched a website falconrockcommand that includes a number of video snippets with known actors who would potentially form part of the TV series cast. The site has unfortunately not been updated in ages, and no further news regarding the status of the project has been revealed. A big blow to zombie lovers since judging by the video snippets available, the proect idea looked good, especially since it would be the first proper venture into the horror / zombie genre, much overlooked by TV which seems to instead have an obsession with vampire stories.

This past autumn however we got DEAD SET, a satirical story combining the zombie genre wit the phenomenom that has become Reality TV gameshows.

Now fortunately, zombie lovers are to get a straight zombie story, with The Walking Dead, a TV adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name.

US cable net AMC has greenlighted production on a TV series of The Walking Dead, a story about a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. For those familiar with the graphic novel series that has spurened a number of titles since its launch in 2003, the planned TV series will remian faithful to the original story.

Frank Darabond will direct and write the project. He has been involved in a number of horror feature films and TV anthology shows, is probably best known for his work on THE GREEN MILE and THE MIST.

Any zombie fans out there??? Do you think that THE WALKING DEAD will finally give us the zombie TV series we have so long waited for??

(Source: Variety) http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007161.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it stays true to the comic book, it will be excellent. It's a tremendous read.

And no running zombies, you'll be glad to hear!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive never read the comic series, but IM a dummy for zombie novelisations and films.

Ive often wondered why TV execs have long neglected the zombie genre! They seem to have a passionate affir with Vampire stories, but have forever overlooked the zombie genre which has an audience too!

Looking forward to this!
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Isn't it kind of obvious why vampires make for good TV while zombies don't? Vampires can reason, talk, feel emotions, have relationships with others. Zombies are mindless, inarticulate, walking corpses. At least that is what they are supposed to be. Your classic zombie. I suppose this new project would try to "reinvent" zombies.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Isn't it kind of obvious why vampires make for good TV while zombies don't? Vampires can reason, talk, feel emotions, have relationships with others. Zombies are mindless, inarticulate, walking corpses. At least that is what they are supposed to be. Your classic zombie. I suppose this new project would try to "reinvent" zombies.

It's more likely to try and extend the traditional 'zombie' film story.

Most, like Dawn Of The Dead, can only really hint at what it would be like to survive and adapt for a long period after the Z apocolypse. 'The Walking Dead' shows a much longer passage of time, and details all the ups and downs that go with it. Somewhat like 'Day Of The Triffids', the Zombies are a bit of a mcguffin. The interaction of the humans is the really interesting stuff.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    ...the Zombies are a bit of a mcguffin. The interaction of the humans is the really interesting stuff.

That is just it. Zombies are a Mcguffin. That's rather limiting. Vampires can be so much more than just a threat that is a catalyst for human characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    As Gulftastic said i hope they treat the TV series well and stay true to the comics. I hope it doesnt turn away and become more about the zombies rather than the humans. Its gonna be intersting and i hope Darabont treats it right.

Ps: im massive fan of the comics so while im looking forward to this TV series alot, im cautious as to how they are gonna go about it. Casting should be interesting :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not really! If you watch any zombie movie, you'll realise that the zombie thing only serves as a backdrop! The real "zombie" story is the hardships faced by the protagonist group of survivors. Any fan of the zombie genre will tell you that the thing they like about zombie movies is the human story, the whole end of the world scenario and having to adapt to survive.

Think BBC Survivors, only with an added danger element in the form of walking corpses!
  • Options
    Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it based on the comic? Coz that shit gets dark. lol
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Think BBC Survivors
    You know, you're not really selling me on it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is just it. Zombies are a Mcguffin. That's rather limiting. Vampires can be so much more than just a threat that is a catalyst for human characters.

I liked how you explained what a McGuffin was. It was like how you're taught to answer exam questions.:D

On another note, I need to find this graphic novel.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PR0J3CT wrote: »
    On another note, I need to find this graphic novel.

It's an ongoing monthly series, started in 2003.

Ten Trade Paperbacks (TPBs) have been released so far, covering the first 60 issues (6 issues per TPB).

Hardcover collections have also been released, each containing 12 issues, plus the cover art etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead#Trade_Paperback

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=walking+dead&x=0&y=0

Never read it myself, but it's meant to be very good. Keep meaning to buy the collections.
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old-school zombies = lame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    It's an ongoing monthly series, started in 2003.

Ten Trade Paperbacks (TPBs) have been released so far, covering the first 60 issues (6 issues per TPB).

Hardcover collections have also been released, each containing 12 issues, plus the cover art etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead#Trade_Paperback

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=walking+dead&x=0&y=0

Never read it myself, but it's meant to be very good. Keep meaning to buy the collections.

Whoaaaaaaaaa. An ongoing from 2003 about zombies is still going on? This is madness. Sort of off putting.
  • Options
    Hopeless_SavageHopeless_Savage Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old school zombies is what its all about!
    That way as others said, you can concentrate on what matters. The dynamics of surviving.
  • Options
    cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

God yeah!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Production has started today in Atlanta for AMC's highly anticipated live-action adaptation of Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead comic. Check out the first zombie pictures from the set, and a behind-the-scenes teaser for the series (which premieres on AMC in the US in October)

http://io9.com/5553571/first-look-at-amcs-walking-dead
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Bump
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sibbo wrote: »
    As Gulftastic said i hope they treat the TV series well and stay true to the comics. I hope it doesnt turn away and become more about the zombies rather than the humans. Its gonna be intersting and i hope Darabont treats it right.

Ps: im massive fan of the comics so while im looking forward to this TV series alot, im cautious as to how they are gonna go about it. Casting should be interesting :)

The fact its on AMC in the states already makes this standout for me, due to it being the home of Mad Men and Breaking Bad the quality should be high.
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your not wrong
    The rape of michonne and the attempted on Ricks son!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Old-school zombies = lame.

I prefer old school zombies
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Good news as FX will be showing The Walking Dead in the UK according to DS:

"FX has agreed a deal with American studio AMC to broadcast the upcoming series The Walking Dead in the UK.

The show, an adaptation of the Image Comics series by Robert Kirkman and Toby Moore, will air from October and will headline the channel's autumn lineup.

According to Marketing Week, the deal with AMC will see FX's parent company Fox International Channels "acquire all international television and home video rights and worldwide distribution" for the series.

The programme will premiere ahead of the third season launch of True Blood and will be "heavily supported off-air by a marketing and PR campaign".

The show features Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes, a police officer who leads a band of survivors as they attempt to stay alive following a zombie apocalypse.

The Walking Dead will air first on AMC in October"
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Good news as FX will be showing The Walking Dead in the UK according to DS

That's not good news. Good news would be if a Freeview channel picked it up.
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's good news imo because:

(A) We'll get it sooner rather than later (same week from the looks of things)
    (B) It'll get decent promotion
    (C) It'll sell more on DVD/BR, and
    (D) It'll be in HD.

Also, it might get a second run on say C4 or five, so that's all good.
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it kind of obvious why vampires make for good TV while zombies don't? Vampires can reason, talk, feel emotions, have relationships with others. Zombies are mindless, inarticulate, walking corpses. .

Well that hasn't stopped TV's obsession for footballers.:D