Options

"Patients should be omitted from NHS dentistry if they have poor dental hygiene"

raidon04raidon04 Posts: 3,448
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In light of the new Governmental proposals on the way the NHS is run (expected in 2011), Dentist Professor Jimmy Steele has claimed that the Governmental should change NHS Dentistry to deny patients from having dental treatment on the NHS if they follow poor dental hygiene.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12042614

So, what do you think? Is this going back on the universality of the NHS? or is this an intelligent way to cut costs of the NHS and a good tool of persuasion for patients?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's all well and good but how will they define, and how will dentists interpret "poor" hygiene?

If you then boot out those with poor hygiene then the cost to the NHS will probably go up as they will have higher levels of other diseases like heart disease

I think it too complicated and full of so many "unknowns" (known-, and unknown-unknowns) to be of any use. But I agree with the sentiment behind it.
  • Options
    John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    Patients should be awarded a prize if they find an NHS dentistry :D
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should not get expensive dental treatment on the NHS

Bugger me, you're telling me that there ISN'T expensive dental treatment on the NHS out there somewhere?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John_Elway wrote: »

There are three in Ipswich, which have always been willing to take on new patients since I've lived in/near the town. Thats about twelve years. Some areas do not have a problem.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure an NHS dentist is as universal as some think but anyway assuming you have found one it seems rather churlish to then be told sorry we won't treat you as you aren't cleaning your teeth properly. Anyway isn't dental hygiene done by hygienists who afaik aren't covered by NHS charges because if they are they are bloody extortionist.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    That's all well and good but how will they define, and how will dentists interpret "poor" hygiene?

If you then boot out those with poor hygiene then the cost to the NHS will probably go up as they will have higher levels of other diseases like heart disease

I think it too complicated and full of so many "unknowns" (known-, and unknown-unknowns) to be of any use. But I agree with the sentiment behind it.
    As you say, if they refuse treatment to those with relatively minor ailments the costs will increase when they become, or lead to serious or life threatening ailments.

Many of the tabloids tell us it's hard enough to find an NHS dentist anyway. Apparently a postcode lottery, where people are pulling out their own teeth with pliers, if that is to be believed.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    If NHS dentistry retricted itself to basic fillings and extractions it wouldn't be expensive.

Most of the rest is just cosmetic.
  • Options
    Bea*Bea* Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of people who use NHS dentists are people who can't afford to pay for dental care. The majority of people with poor dental hygiene again would be poorer people, due to diet etc. So no, I would not support this as I see it as an attack on the vulnerable.
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member
    So the very people who most need NHS dentistry are the first to be excluded?

Great joined up thinking there.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What next?...sick people won't get treatment.........because they are sick?
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John_Elway wrote: »

A bonus award should given for those who manage to actually get treated before dying of old age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a retained root - caused by previous bad dentistry.

I fear the dentist like nothing else on, or off, earth and freely admit that I had not maintained contact with my dentist.

Finally had enough of it and went to try and get it sorted. He took out out two other teeth, that he assured me were going to cause me problems, but which had not so far and referred me to a different dental surgery, one that does in-house minor surgery to have the retained root removed.

I live right next to several county borders and the differing health group jurisdiction oftem make getting treatment for some things quite difficult. The surgery he referred me to is 35 miles away, with no direct transport links and I have no car. By public transport it will take me around 4 hours to make that journey, and cost around £45. Money I simply don't have as I am on JSA.

So I asked if the minor surgery could be done somewhere more accessible - the answer is no. And until I have the retained root out at their designated partner surgery I can't get any more routine preventative treatment.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    There's still NHS dentists is there??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's still NHS dentists is there??

Yes, took me 18 months to get one though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    I have a retained root - caused by previous bad dentistry.

I fear the dentist like nothing else on, or off, earth and freely admit that I had not maintained contact with my dentist.

Finally had enough of it and went to try and get it sorted. He took out out two other teeth, that he assured me were going to cause me problems, but which had not so far and referred me to a different dental surgery, one that does in-house minor surgery to have the retained root removed.

I live right next to several county borders and the differing health group jurisdiction oftem make getting treatment for some things quite difficult. The surgery he referred me to is 35 miles away, with no direct transport links and I have no car. By public transport it will take me around 4 hours to make that journey, and cost around £45. Money I simply don't have as I am on JSA.

So I asked if the minor surgery could be done somewhere more accessible - the answer is no. And until I have the retained root out at their designated partner surgery I can't get any more routine preventative treatment.

Is there a dental teaching hospital near you?
  • Options
    ThinWhitePukeThinWhitePuke Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Sets a dangerous precedent, first people with poor hygiene denied dental treatment and then drinkers, smokers, junk food eaters, sportsmen, motor cyclists being denied NHS hospital treatment.

So I don't think this is a good idea
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    PoliticoRN wrote: »
    So the very people who most need NHS dentistry are the first to be excluded?

Great joined up thinking there.

Yeah, looks that way :rolleyes:

I think they were talking about the more expensive work - presumably the bog standard treatment would still be offered - if you could find a dentist willing to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sets a dangerous precedent, first people with poor hygiene denied dental treatment and then drinkers, smokers, junk food eaters, sportsmen, motor cyclists being denied NHS hospital treatment.

So I don't think this is a good idea

Labour already tried to do it with smokers and people who are obese, didn't they?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim_uk wrote: »
    A bonus award should given for those who manage to actually get treated before dying of old age.

I can usually get an appointment. The basic procedure is: phone up, say 'can I have an appointment next week' and they say 'what day'. I can't imagine Ipswich is the only town in Britain where there is no shortage of NHS dentists so I can only assume a lot of people are just unlucky.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Bea* wrote: »
    Is there a dental teaching hospital near you?

Not as reliable as one might think - I spent a year going to Guys with a gum problem - umpteen diagnosticians, supervisors and students plus a Professor missed somthing nasty going on under a tooth that a new dentist spotted in one look. Thing blew up again 13 years after root canal surgery fixed that and it turned out the tooth was cracked too.....

Which is why its nonsense for Dentists to not allow treatment on a claim of poor oral hygiene - often its something else they have missed causing the same effect.............

Its similar too banning overweight people. A lot of overweight people are overweight because their endocrinal systems or digestive monitoring systems are misfunctioning - they often need to find the underlying causes not assume a simple cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not as reliable as one might think - I spent a year going to Guys with a gum problem - umpteen diagnosticians, supervisors and students plus a Professor missed somthing nasty going on under a tooth that a new dentist spotted in one look. Thing blew up again 13 years after root canal surgery fixed that and it turned out the tooth was cracked too.....

Which is why its nonsense for Dentists to not allow treatment on a claim of poor oral hygiene - often its something else they have missed causing the same effect.............

Its similar too banning overweight people. A lot of overweight people are overweight because their endocrinal systems or digestive monitoring systems are misfunctioning - they often need to find the underlying causes not assume a simple cause.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you have had, toothache is one of the worst pains ever. An x-ray should have shown up any problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Instead of punishing those with poor dental hygiene, they could reward those who take good care of their teeth.

I see the dentist once or twice a year which officially counts as "taking care of my teeth" and a preventive measure. So if I ever have bigger problems (like getting a dental bridge or crown) my health insurance will cover most of the expenses instead of letting me pay for it on my own.

This reward-system also works for people who take courses (swimming, yoga, aerobic, etc.) to stay physically fit. They pay less into the health pot if they have a written confirmation of doing such a course. I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK though.

I think that's a better way to persuade patients to take care of themselves.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Tubtui wrote: »
    Instead of punishing those with poor dental hygiene, they could reward those who take good care of their teeth.

I see the dentist once or twice a year which officially counts as "taking care of my teeth" and a preventive measure. So if I ever have bigger problems (like getting a dental bridge or crown) my health insurance will cover most of the expenses instead of letting me pay for it on my own.

This reward-system also works for people who take courses (swimming, yoga, aerobic, etc.) to stay physically fit. They pay less into the health pot if they have a written confirmation of doing such a course. I'm not sure if it's the same in the UK though.

I think that's a better way to persuade patients to take care of themselves.

OMG! A good idea!! On digital spy forums!! I never thought I'd see it, and on baby Jesus birthday!!!:D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this isnt 100 miles away from, people with unhealthy life styles not getting NHS treatment, and similar examples.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't just the people who don't pay for treatment that have poor dental hygiene so how can a NHS dentist refuse treatment to a patient with poor dental hygiene who pays for it.

Unless you mean those with poor dental hygiene who don't pay should be omitted from NHS dentistry.