Whic tablet to get?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
I've narrowed my options down to three and I only want a cheap, entry level one that isn't anything special and the options're all windows 8.1 based as I want to supplement my laptop and they cost less than a hundred quid, The three options I've got can be obtained from ARGOS or Curry's and I've done research, asked questions and I what I want to do with it (apart from as a supplement to my lappy which doesn't need replacing yet).
Also should I keep using my pocket PCs?

Which tablet 3 votes

TOSHIBA ENCORE 7
0%
HP STREAM 7
33%
[Deleted User] 1 vote
LINX 8
66%
Stuart_hfarmer bob 2 votes

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    I've narrowed my options down to three and I only want a cheap, entry level one that isn't anything special and the options're all windows 8.1 based as I want to supplement my laptop and they cost less than a hundred quid, The three options I've got can be obtained from ARGOS or Curry's and I've done research, asked questions and I what I want to do with it (apart from as a supplement to my lappy which doesn't need replacing yet).
    Also should I keep using my pocket PCs?

Linx 10 rather than Linx 8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Linx 10 rather than Linx 8

I based the options on the ones I've seen and I've only had a physical hold of the HP Stream 7 and done some research into what's available. If I can't get the Linx there's the other two options. What style of headphones d,'you suggest?
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    I based the options on the ones I've seen and I've only had a physical hold of the HP Stream 7 and done some research into what's available. If I can't get the Linx there's the other two options. What style of headphones d,'you suggest?

I have both the Linx 8 and HP Stream 7. The LINX 8 is probably better overall in spec terms e.g. better camera etc, but the HP Stream 7 build is very robust,

Although both nominally run W8 with Bing, HP seemed to have tweaked the OS a bit and it is harder to disable/enable bing, adding google say, and also harder to tweak some other features.

Do not buy the Linx 7 - one major issue is that when you want to do a recovery (e.g. windows is nor working properly), you have to use windows to get to revoery which is no good if windows is not working!

On Linx 8 (and 10 I think), you can get to recovery by pressing power on and one of the volume keys.

Personally, I think L8 is a nice portable size (fits in my coat pockets even with a case - L10 is less portable but easier to use as bigger screen.

A windows app called touchmousepointer is essential (emulates a trackpad/mouse) making it easier to select items on smaller screen.

Re. Headphones - the usb ports are the micro-usb type, and I have had tables/phone micro ports fail or become temperamental. I prefer to only use port for charging.

Tablets have bluetooth capability so Bluetooth headphones work fine.

Linx tablets (not sure about HP) have a limitation whereby you cannot charge and use usb port at same time e.g when connected via a hub. There are (allegedly) ways around this,

I also recommend installing teamviewer, splashtop or similar, and you can use a laptop/pc to help you configure tablet using a full screen/keyboard etc.
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    I
    Although both nominally run W8 with Bing, HP seemed to have tweaked the OS a bit and it is harder to disable/enable bing, adding google say, and also harder to tweak some other features.

Do not buy the Linx 7 - one major issue is that when you want to do a recovery (e.g. windows is nor working properly), you have to use windows to get to revoery which is no good if windows is not working!
    Tablets have bluetooth capability so Bluetooth headphones work fine.

Thanks for your opinion but as it just so happens, I was messing about in the Google Playstore on Sunday night and found an ap that lets me use my Hauwei y300 like a mouse and wireless keyboard.

I'm hoping to try and get my graphocs and musc creattion softwere on it and use it as a supplement for my laptom and I know I'll need a USB adapter so I can attach my musc keyboard and transfer MS works onto it.
    I can always touch and photographs I take on it using photo editing software.
    Forum Member
    The cheapest I've seen is the TOSHIBA one for eighty quid from Argos andyou lot know me for low end, easy to use software and hardware.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    LINX 8
    i got the Linx 8 for £70 using the "Very" £30 off first purchase deal :)
    Forum Member
    And my tablet PC us a....HP Stream 7!
    As usual the guy in Curry's tried to get me to spend more money with the usual sales push.
    Doing this on my Moby seems odd after holding a tablet PC.
    Forum Member
    EY! BLOODY 'ELL. THIS TABLET'S GREAT!
    Don't know why they didn't come out when Pocket PCs were on the market (I'm still using mine).
    I call mine Lovecraft due to the initials of the manufacturer.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spend the extra and get the hudl