how does the provider cut your service???

zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello, my internet provider.. talk-talk who i find shit in the customers service dept..
has threatened to cut my services if payment is not made prompto. but that aside how do these providers cut your service? only incoming phone calls, internet cut off, and digi box service cut off.. how do they do it..?

Comments

• David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry. I may have got a few wires twisted here, but it sounds like you haven't paid your bill. Why don't you just pay it, and then there won't be any need for them to cut you off?

This forum is about TalkTalk YouView. They could easily cut off the TalkTalk Player and any boosts that you may have. I daresay the box would continue to function as a Freeview box, but you wouldn't pick up any on demand services because you wouldn't have Internet access as your phone line would be cut off.

You have criticised their customer services very strongly, but if you haven't paid your bill, you don't have a leg to stand on.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry. I may have got a few wires twisted here, but it sounds like you haven't paid your bill. Why don't you just pay it, and then there won't be any need for them to cut you off?

This forum is about TalkTalk YouView. They could easily cut off the TalkTalk Player and any boosts that you may have. I daresay the box would continue to function as a Freeview box, but you wouldn't pick up any on demand services because you wouldn't have Internet access as your phone line would be cut off.

You have criticised their customer services very strongly, but if you haven't paid your bill, you don't have a leg to stand on.

thanks for the advice.. firstly i have paid the bill.. eventually getting through to customers service.. the question was not about how to avoid, being restricted. but technically how is it done.... think you missed the point..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the words 'if payment is not made prompto' did appear in your original post, which does rather give the impression that they were of the opinion that you owed them money. As for how they would do it, I should imagine they would simply disconnect your phone line, leaving you without phone calls, internet access or any of the online YouView stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the words 'if payment is not made prompto' did appear in your original post, which does rather give the impression that they were of the opinion that you owed them money. As for how they would do it, I should imagine they would simply disconnect your phone line, leaving you without phone calls, internet access or any of the online YouView stuff.

no it is not as simple as cutting off ones phone line.. they leave the phone on and just bar outgoing calls, yes the internet access is cut, and tv series,, which just leaves free view channels.. so it is not just cutting off your phone completely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to have answered your own question.
  • RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    As a TT customer, who, due to being unemployed, frequently pays his bills late, I have to say that TT are actually very understanding, and as long as they know what is going on and have an agreed date for payment, they do NOT restrict the service in any way at all - apart from the fact that if you have an outstanding bill, then you cannot make any changes to your boosts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rinsewind wrote: »
    As a TT customer, who, due to being unemployed, frequently pays his bills late, I have to say that TT are actually very understanding, and as long as they know what is going on and have an agreed date for payment, they do NOT restrict the service in any way at all - apart from the fact that if you have an outstanding bill, then you cannot make any changes to your boosts.

the question was how do they restrict ones service? technically.. which has not been answered..:o
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    the question was how do they restrict ones service? technically.. which has not been answered..:o

I would imagine it's simply a software operation, they press a couple of keys on a computer and the equipment that provides your service alters your settings accordingly.

It's been a LONG time since you required a man to go to the exchange and disconnect a wire :D
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All exchanges are computer controlled. To cut you off is just a matter of pressing a few buttons. Some providers allow incoming calls for a time, all allow 999 emergency calls out going as far as I can recall. All other services cease. If you fail to pay your bill you may not be accepted by another provider.

I have had TalkTalk for several years without any problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All exchanges are computer controlled. To cut you off is just a matter of pressing a few buttons. Some providers allow incoming calls for a time, all allow 999 emergency calls out going as far as I can recall. All other services cease. If you fail to pay your bill you may not be accepted by another provider.

I have had TalkTalk for several years without any problems.

Thanks for reply,s