Options

The steps involved in paying a mortgage off in one hit?

MarshiMarshi Posts: 405
Forum Member
A few of us are hoping to help an elderly relative pay off their mortgage early. We were planning on giving him the full amount remaining on his mortgage so he can pay it all off in one go and be done with it but I'm not 100% on how you would do this?

He is on a repayment mortgage, pays it off monthly via direct debit from one bank but the mortgage is with another bank.

If I understand right, I think he would first need to contact his mortgage provider and request a redemption statement.

After receiving this statement, does he then go to the bank he usually makes his mortgage repayments from and request that they send his mortgage provider the full amount? While there, should he cancel the monthly direct debit payments to his mortgage provider or wait until they next contact him?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for a redemption statement. It will include full instructions on how to pay it off.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    When I used to work for the Halifax, some people used to pay the full balance off but leave £1 on the account.

This was to avoid an end of term fee (deed release fee, I think), plus they realised the bank would never chase the £1, so in effect the house was paid off.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I used to work for the Halifax, some people used to pay the full balance off but leave £1 on the account.

This was to avoid an end of term fee (deed release fee, I think), plus they realised the bank would never chase the £1, so in effect the house was paid off.

I've always believed this to be correct too.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marshi wrote: »
    After receiving this statement, does he then go to the bank he usually makes his mortgage repayments from and request that they send his mortgage provider the full amount?

It can be transferred from any account, so if someone else is paying they can do so directly.
    While there, should he cancel the monthly direct debit payments to his mortgage provider or wait until they next contact him?

Cancel at the same time.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The firm I worked for did the same.
    It ensured "deeds retention".
    They retained the deeds on your behalf otherwise they were returned to you and you had to find a safe storeage option - under the bed or, more often, pay your solicitor to hold them.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The firm I worked for did the same.
    It ensured "deeds retention".
    They retained the deeds on your behalf otherwise they were returned to you and you had to find a safe storeage option - under the bed or, more often, pay your solicitor to hold them.
    Physical copies of deeds are totally irrelevant now.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Physical copies of deeds are totally irrelevant now.
    "Ray Boulger, senior technical manager at mortgage broker John Charcol, said: Solicitors always ask for the Title Deeds but, because they are now stored virtually by the Land Registry, paper copies are no longer needed to effect a sale.
    That said there may be other legal documents stored alongside the Deeds that you do require, such as guarantees for the property.
    If that is the case you can usually get copies, but you may have to pay a fee and it might delay completion.
    I would suggest asking your former lender if it has retained any documents at all relating to your property and if so, request it returns them to you."
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    "Ray Boulger, senior technical manager at mortgage broker John Charcol, said: Solicitors always ask for the Title Deeds but, because they are now stored virtually by the Land Registry, paper copies are no longer needed to effect a sale.
    That said there may be other legal documents stored alongside the Deeds that you do require, such as guarantees for the property.
    If that is the case you can usually get copies, but you may have to pay a fee and it might delay completion.
    I would suggest asking your former lender if it has retained any documents at all relating to your property and if so, request it returns them to you."

My bank sent the 'deeds' (Land Certificate or Charge Certificate I forget which) to me several years ago, after they became irrelevant to the continuing mortgage. So it's possible that the subject of this thread was sent any relevant paper documents and that there's nothing stored by them anyway (if his lender adopted a similar policy to my bank).

I have kept my valueless certificate though, and not even 'under the bed', as it's sometimes useful to be able readily to refer to the plans and any covenants.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We kept £1 on our mortgage when we paid it off, simply because we could draw down the funds again on the same terms and conditions as the previous mortgage. So a few years later when we wanted to extend, we were able to borrow £130k at 0.49% variable (the original standard variable rate on the mortgage was pitched to the BoE rate when it was higher) for a £20 fee! Some of this went on the extension, the rest went into accounts that paid 4%.

We also avoided a £250 early payment fee.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    We kept £1 on our mortgage when we paid it off, simply because we could draw down the funds again on the same terms and conditions as the previous mortgage. So a few years later when we wanted to extend, we were able to borrow £130k at 0.49% variable (the original standard variable rate on the mortgage was pitched to the BoE rate when it was higher) for a £20 fee! Some of this went on the extension, the rest went into accounts that paid 4%.

We also avoided a £250 early payment fee.

same with me, I can continue to borrow up to my original mortgage amount but it does depend on your mortgage. I know many don't allow it.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just went in to the bank who I had the mortgage with and told them I wished to pay it off. They took some details and told me to return the next day. I returned the next day, signed some forms, wrote them a cheque (was less than I had anticipated) cancelled the direct debit and walked out.

A huge package arrived through normal post a few weeks later with all the docs. That was that.