Options

Help, don't want BT broadband - what are my other options?

KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I ordered a contract with BT for telephone and broadband. A customer service contact told me I could have phone and broadband for £26 a month, fine I thought. They set my phone line up within a matter of days but told me I had to wait 11 days whilst they process my broadband order. Well 11 days passed and I rang them up as they haven't contacted me since. They just told me there was no broadband order for me on their system!

So as you can imagine I am very pissed off with them, they then put me onto the sales team who were trying to rip me off by going with their Option 3 broadband which is roughly £25 a month. I want to go with Virgin Media but they told me I'm not in a cable area so they can't provide me broadband since my line is with BT. So I have to cancel BT to go with Virgin, I am really stuck for an option.

What would you do here? Cancel my BT contract (since they messed up my order)? Stick with the BT line or go with someone else like Orange?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    First of all I don't believe that BT are trying to 'rip you off'.

They have cocked up your order. ALL Service Providers do it from time to time.

I suggest that you just call them back and explain calmly that you ordered the Get Connected package, they have cocked the order up and you want it fixed ASAP.

I'm not sure what your comment on Virgin is all about. If you would have liked cable but you aren't in cabled area surely your gripe is with them for cherry picking where they will and will not cable?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    an option is to keep the bt line for the phone and pick another isp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to go with Orange as their prices for unlimited bandwidth compare well with Virgin Media.
    They have cocked up your order. ALL Service Providers do it from time to time.

Having a customer wait when he ordered broadband for 11 working days, confirm this with an email, and then tell him he didn't order it is unacceptable, IMHO, and they were unwilling to compromise.

I find BT's prices and the customer service goons they employ to be a joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    I find BT's prices and the customer service goons they employ to be a joke.
    If the prices are so bad, why on earth did you place your initial order with BT then?

BTW. Orange? If you are after better service, I suggest that you read that many posts about Orange CS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to go with Orange as their prices for unlimited bandwidth compare well with Virgin Media.

Which Orange package?
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with orange since the days it was freeserve and have had no real problems with them, yes I know customer service is in india but so are a lot of them, Up to 8mb download speed and I get on average 4-5mb daily speed. At the end of the day all of the isp's have problems, some more than others but I'm pleased with the service I receive from orange, including the free telephone calls and the second internet phone line.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the prices are so bad, why on earth did you place your initial order with BT then?

[Edited on advice from another poster; don't feed the trolls]
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day ALL ISP's at some point are as bad as one another, I jumped ship from AOL just under 18 months ago, but the others i have been with are no better, no worse.