Frozen Veg better than 'Fresh' Veg?

Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
Forum Member
what are peoples thoughts on frozen veg?
is it really better than buying the fresh veg as it locks in more of the nutrients?
i have started buying alot of frozen broccoli lately, it actually tastes better than the fresh broccoli i had previously been buying :eek:
but a lady who works in waitrose said fresh veg is better than frozen veg, because frozen is just processed food. surely that cant be right?

Comments

• simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frozen peas and frozen sprouts are my favourite! I think all other veg is better fresh however I am in to frozen parsnips but the honey glazed ones by Aunt Bessie. To be truthfull I keep some of those individual mini bags of steam fresh veg in just in case i fancy some in the week but do tend to buy all fresh for the sunday meal. However frozen roast potatoes are a bit No No LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always try to eat fresh because althougth frozen is as healthy I prefer the texture. Except peas, I always use frozen petit pois.
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peas and sweetcorn are just about my limit as far as frozen vegetables are concerned.
    That said I have been pleasantly surprised by frozen green beans.
    I just can't see any other frozen veg holding up well - I certainly would even bother with frozen sprouts or cauliflower. I like my veg fairly underdone and wouldn't think that frozen veg could achieve that texture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Frozen food is processed to a degree, so it'll never be nutritionally as good as something that's freshly harvested. Not saying they are a bad thing, just pointing that out.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than what I grow myself, the only fresh vegetables I buy are root vegetables (parsnips, swedes and carrots), leeks, celery and onions. I buy frozen peas, beans, brocolli, cauliflower and sweetcorn. They are frozen straight from the field with no additives. The green veg that you buy in the supermarket is not field fresh.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Frozen Peas, and because I'm lazy, frozen sliced Onions. But that's it.

I think rather than a taste thing, it's the texture and size of frozen veg that puts me off. Never managed to cook runner beans from frozen to any consistency other than chewy rubber, Brocolli is too small and carrots almost always need to be separated from others in the mix and cooked to a different time to stop them being spoiled. Basically by the time I've picked the carrots out, I could've peeled a couple, and I like my veg really chunky which I've not found available frozen yet.

If they made Frozen veg bigger, I wouldn't say no to it.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    MalUK wrote: »
    Frozen food is processed to a degree, so it'll never be nutritionally as good as something that's freshly harvested. Not saying they are a bad thing, just pointing that out.

Except in the case of peas. Unless you grow them in your garden, frozen is the way to go.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    The green veg that you buy in the supermarket is not field fresh.

I have got really bad fresh vegetables in the past from both supermarkets and the greengrocer. The sprouts we had this year for Christmas were awful.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I think generally the quality of veg in this country is pretty poor; when I go abroad and taste something like a carrot I start remembering again what that veg tastes like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've frozen peas and beans from my garden. 15 minutes from fresh to the freezer. Can't beat them for freshness and vitamins, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I think generally the quality of veg in this country is pretty poor; when I go abroad and taste something like a carrot I start remembering again what that veg tastes like.
    Modern fruit and vegetable varieties are grown for their shelf life, disease resistance and toughness, not their taste. If you grow your own stuff, you can source seed from vintage varieties. High end supermarkets often stock vintage varieties too, especially M&S.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things like peas and sprouts will almost never be as tasty when you buy them 'fresh', as they will be frozen, because they deteriorate so quickly in terms of flavour and texture. Frozen peas and sprouts are generally frozen within a couple of hours of being picked, whereas the 'fresh' ones on the supermarket shelf were probably picked days ago.
  • simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swarfega wrote: »
    Peas and sweetcorn are just about my limit as far as frozen vegetables are concerned.
    That said I have been pleasantly surprised by frozen green beans.
    I just can't see any other frozen veg holding up well - I certainly would even bother with frozen sprouts or cauliflower. I like my veg fairly underdone and wouldn't think that frozen veg could achieve that texture.

I too do like my veg under done but am really in to frozen sprouts yes they do go soggy but I steam them. I had some fresh ones on Christmas day at my friends house and they were thrown away as they tasted awful. The same set of friends came to me for boxing day and the frozen were quite nice and went well I must say.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    The only veg we buy frozen are peas and sweetcorn.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We only shop once a month so we buy fresh for the first weeks consumption and frozen for the following 3 weeks. In terms of freshness the frozen wins hands down, but some things should never see a freezer IMO things like cabbage !