Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredibly good for Merlin, no doubt that is a cause for X Factor's 'dent' compared to last week when there was no clash.

Also 27 million watching TV last night... blimey.
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see SCD really closing the gap this year!
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonny2001 wrote: »
    The big ratings from last night;

Strictly - 11.35m 45.3% (15 min peak 12.34m)

Non HD:

X Factor - 12.24m 45.1% (15 min peak 12.63m)
    I'm A Celeb - 8.57m 36%
    Sensational rating for SCD - highest ever rating for a non-final show and the series is building nicely week-on-week. Assuming there is a 7/8%+ HD boost for the ITV shows, then TXF is up from the same weekend last year which I think is good because it was the best-rated Saturday episode last year. However TXF was a little down from last week which I think that could have been due to facing slightly tougher competition this week (Merlin instead of just National Lottery/Casualty). Solid rating for IAC which was given a handy boost from TXF to stop its daily decline.
    dubsj wrote: »
    Merlin 6.4m / 23.4%
    Casualty 4.3m / 16.2%
    Burp 6.7m / 26.1% exludes HD
    All three rated relatively well. Merlin got its highest rating since series one, Casualty did better than previous weeks when it was below 4m. TV Burp rated higher than the same episode last year - with HD included possibly one of its Top 5 ratings ever. Life Stories did okay for the late slot to give it an overnight series average of 5.2m (25%) - up 21% from last Autumn's series; no doubt helped by some of the high-profile guests this series.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Yes, if a journalist writes an article with numbers in it then it's a good bet it will be completely wrong.

Usual story - copying out bits from a press release / other article without stopping for even a few seconds to understand the position and ensure that what is being written makes any kind of sense.

How could 73% (ie 33% + 40%) of X-Factor viewers have degrees? First of all bear in mind that a significant number of viewers will be under 21 so couldn't have degrees. If this group is approx 15% (my rough estimate) that would then mean that 73 / 85 - ie 86% of over 21s watching XF have a degree.

Totally absurd but as I said no surprise.

I've read newspaper articles about things I've actually been involved with on TV and am always amazed by how wrong the journalists can be (I'm talking factual here, not opinions). Very few have any grasp of how TV works (they write about ''filming'' live football matches for instance and are always confused between actors and the characters they play). I wonder if they are equally inaccurate when they write about things like the health service, European politics, sport,crime and other non-broadcasting matters:confused:
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I've read newspaper articles about things I've actually been involved with on TV and am always amazed by how wrong the journalists can be (I'm talking factual here, not opinions). Very few have any grasp of how TV works (they write about ''filming'' live football matches for instance and are always confused between actors and the characters they play). I wonder if they are equally inaccurate when they write about things like the health service, European politics, sport,crime and other non-broadcasting matters:confused:

Indeed. Literally the ONLY publication I would just about always trust 100% is the Financial Times.

In any other publication basically anything (especially if it's figures) could well be wrong.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite bugbear, especially in relation to audience figures is the "%age rise" or "%age fall". Essentially, whenever I see that, I ignore it because I know I'm being misled!

For example:

A programme had a 20% share two weeks ago, a 22% share last week, and was back to 20% share this week. It is perfectly acceptable to describe the change in ratings as:

1 A 2% share rise last week, followed by a 9% drop in its audience this week (if you don't like the show)
    2 A 10% rise in its audience last week followed by a 2% fall in its share this week (if you do like the show)
    3 A 10% rise in its audience last week followed by a 9% drop in its audience this week (if you like dramatic numbers)
    4 A 2% rise in its share last week followed by a 2% fall in its share this week (if you prefer understatement)

I tend to prefer (4), although (3) is acceptable. (1) and (2) are not acceptable, but are regularly used by the press depending on their POV.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comparison with last year, same day:

18:05- Merlin: 5.60m vs 6.33m
    - up 730,000 year on year
    18:50- Strictly Come Dancing: 8.93m vs 11.35m
    - up 2.42m year on year
    - 20 minute clash with The X Factor last year
    20:45- Casualty: 4.76m vs 4.32m
    - down 440,000 year on year

ITV1
    19:30- Harry Hill’s TV Burp: 6.79m vs 6.40m
    - likely to be slightly down or equal year on year once HD is factored in (over 330,000 would mean higher than last year)
    20:00- The X Factor: 12.63m vs 12.24m
    - likely to be up year on year if HD is over 390,000
    21:20- I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!: 9.94m vs 8.57m
    - likely to be down year on year unless HD is over 1.37m, which is highly unlikely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD-included ITV ratings from yesterday:

20:00- The X Factor: 13.2m (49%)
    * peak: 14.4m (53%)
    * up 5% vs. same ep last year
    21:25- I'm a Celebrity.. Get Me Out of Here!: 9.2m (38%)
    * down 7% vs. same ep last year

Source: BeehiveCity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »

* up 5% vs. full slot ave. for same ep last year
    * down 7% vs. full slot ave. for same ep last year

The peak is actually identical to last year to 1.d.p., last year in the same week also had 14.4m (53%) as well:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=36830277&postcount=2338
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The peak is actually identical to last year to 1.d.p., last year in the same week also had 14.4m (53%) as well:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=36830277&postcount=2338
    Don't forget that the BARB panel changed this year so audiences (although not shares) ought to be about 4% higher, IIRC.

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Some huge figures last night. Fantastic for SCD which has really upped its game this series. The huge performance seemed to have a positive effect on Merlin.

Another huge figure for XF, only very slightly down on last week and I reckon it'll be another ~15m results show. IAC's highest rating since Monday, but that was expected with the big lead in. I'd expect at least 10m for tonights episode. Piers did very well indeed considering he didn't finish till half 11 and Kelly Osbourne isn't the best guest.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know that TXF did well again, but what I seem more shocked and pleased about is Strictly. Brilliant ratings for the series this year, and building very nicely, at this point we could see an average of around 13m for the final, and a peak of 15m+.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great figures all round. SCD reaching new heights possibly the Blackpool effect kicking in, and also because it was an amazingly vibrant and colourful show. Anne being dragged around the stage yet again will have helped and tbh they are going to have to maintain efforts getting the right people on the show year after year from now on. Prince William and Kate anyone for next years Christmas show anyone ;)

Amazing figures for XF once again even if the tone seems to be that the contestants are going backwards, Merlin-now ordered for a fourth series, does a tremendous job maintaining a decent share for BBC1.

Great tv night all round.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big ratings from last night;

X Factor - 12.24m 45.1% (15 min peak 12.63m)

I'm A Celeb - 8.57m 36%
    Excluding HD

Merlin - 6.33m 23.4%
    TV Burp - 6.40m 24.7%
    Casualty - 4.32m 16.2%
    Merlin 6.4m / 23.4% exludes HD
    Casualty 4.3m / 16.2% exludes HD
    Burp 6.7m / 26.1% exludes HD

The HD confusion continues then. :confused:

Do the BBC figures above include BBC1HD or not? If sonny2001 and dubsj both post apparently "HD excluded" figures for Merlin and Casualty, then why would their SCD figures be HD-included?

Plus two conflicting "HD excluded" figures for TV Burp.

Glad it's not just me "being awkward".... :rolleyes:
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Phil Taylor has just lost :eek:

Cracking match - best bit of telly broadcast by the ITV stable last night. ;)

And all those working class folk not watching X Factor - what are ITV thinking of... :D
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/nov/21/why-reality-tv-works

Interesting article on the X Factor and reality TV in general. One bit that stood out for me,
    Quote:
    But the underlying implication of Humphrys's diatribe – that the majority of the British public who enjoy watching such programmes simply cannot be expected to know any better – is comprehensively challenged by the recent research. The Brand Driver study found that a third of all X Factor viewers have a degree and a further 40% are postgraduates. The majority are affluent professionals – the household income of a regular viewer is around £3,000 a year more than a non-viewer, while 40% describe themselves as professionals or in management. And in what might come as a particular shock to Humphrys, a substantial proportion of X Factor watchers also regularly tune into Question Time (31%) and Newsnight (14%).

So while X Factor may be 'lowest common denominator viewing' it is not as some on here may suggest only watched by 'lowest common denominator viewers'.

Hm - "The Brand Driver". I wonder what industry they work in?

I mean, I don't suppose they would have any interest at all in putting out "research" suggesting TXF appeals to a professional ABC1 demographic, would they....? :rolleyes:

Anyway, as others have said - the figures show that the overwhelming majority of TXF viewers are non-professional, not higher-educated, not high earners.

As expected.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merlin 6.4m / 23.4% exludes HD
    rzt wrote: »

* up 5% vs. same ep last year
    * down 7% vs. same ep last year

Huge rating for Strictly last night. I expect the shorter runtimes for the upcoming shows could even see it rise further. Also exceptional that Merlin managed to rise week-on-week despite clashing with X-Factor this week but not last week.

The X-Factor did well to bag another 13m + rating for a Saturday and with no Strictly clash tonight should be in the high 14m range with even 15m possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD confusion continues then. :confused:

Do the BBC figures above include BBC1HD or not? If sonny2001 and dubsj both post apparently "HD excluded" figures for Merlin and Casualty, then why would their SCD figures be HD-included?

Plus two conflicting "HD excluded" figures for TV Burp.

Glad it's not just me "being awkward".... :rolleyes:

Sonny's figures are tape checked and exclude HD.
    Dubsj's figures are full slot and exclude HD.

Hence the difference for TV Burp, which finished at 19:55, and presumably Merlin started a bit late. (hence why TV Burp and Merlin is lower with Sonny's figures)

TV Burp had 7.1m for the full slot and including HD according to ITV Press Office on Twitter.
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to X-Factor pulling in professional workers, RZT has already posted a handful of stats indicating the breakdown of X-Factor's average audience for 2009:

37% of X-Factor's audience is ABC1.
    26% of X-Factor's audience is 16-34.

It has a very high number of ABC1 viewers both in sheer volume terms and in percentage of its audience skew terms. I'm sure lots of unemployed people do watch but it certainly doesn't skew that way.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=38939867&postcount=2656
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 20th November Roundup
    BBC One (inc. HD)
    13:00- F1: 2010 Season Review: 1.26m (13.3%)
    14:00- Rugby Union: 1.88m (15.5%)
    17:30- Children in Need 2010: 4.56m (22.6%)
    18:30- Strictly Come Dancing: 11.35m (45.3%)
    * peak: 12.8m (48.7%) at 19:35
    19:45- Merlin: 6.33m (23.4%)
    20:30- The National Lottery Draws: 3.93m (14.8%)
    20:45- Casualty: 4.32m (16.2%)
    21:35- The Armstrong and Miller Show: 2.60m (10.8%)
    22:05- BBC News: 3.42m (14.9%)
    22:25- Match of the Day: 4.29m (25.7%)

BBC Two
    19:30- Coast: 1.31m (5.1%)
    19:50- Dad's Army: 2.18m (8.1%)
    20:20- American Dream: 1.17m (4.3%)
    21:20- Have I Got a Bit More News For You: 2.3m (9.3%)
    22:05- QI XL: 1.9m (9.0%)

ITV1 (inc. HD unless stated)
    15:00- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: 3.00m (20.1%) exc. HD
    18:15- All Star Family Fortunes: 3.21m (13.7%) exc. HD
    19:00- All New You've Been Framed: 3.78m (14.8%) exc. HD
    19:30- Harry Hill's TV Burp: 7.1m (27.5%)
    21:25- I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!: 9.2m (38%)
    * peak: 9.9m
    22:25- Piers Morgan's Life Stories: 3.6m (19.8%) exc. HD

Channel 4 (inc. HD)
    20:00- Apocalypse: The Second World War: 922k (3.4%)
    21:00- The Pillars of the Earth: 1.12m (4.5%)

Channel 5 (inc. HD)
    19:30- The Mentalist: 380k (1.4%)
    20:25- NCIS: 852k (3.2%)
    21:20- CSI: 1.11m (4.6%)
    22:20- CSI: 970k (5.2%)

ITV2
    21:25- The Xtra Factor: 492k (2%)
    22:25- I'm a Celebrity.. Get Me Out of Here Now!: 564k (3.4%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as the show is mentioned in that link above, does anyone know what the official status of Saturday Night Takeaway is? It's either axed or rested, I presume it's rested.

I'm asking, cause they had a segment with their own Jungle Saturday Night Takeaway - I wondered if this served as a reminder "yes, this show does exist, and it'll be back soon". Anyone know?

Edit: Very good for Potter in daytime there - unsurprising with the release of the new film. Poor for Armstrong and Miller though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The audience figures for both SCD and TXF goes to show clashing them didn't work, and now both shows are reaping the rewards..which is great stuff for fans of both shows!!
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Absolutely brilliant rating there for SCD. The show just keeps growing and growing. To think last year many in this thread would come in here and enjoy knocking Strictly by saying its tanking and look at it now.

If Ann and Anton can stay in until the final it could post an absolute monster rating.

Excellent rating for Merlin too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Absolutely brilliant rating there for SCD. The show just keeps growing and growing. To think last year many in this thread would come in here and enjoy knocking Strictly by saying its tanking and look at it now.

If Ann and Anton can stay in until the final it could post an absolute monster rating.

It was absolutely entertaining last night...it really has picked up its game this year!
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice little figure for Dad's Army last night, clashing with X Factor.

An inspired move by Strictly producers to sign up Ann Widdicombe. But who can they get to keep up the ratings next year? Could they possibly raid the X Factor back catalogue? Wagner, Katie Waissel (assuming neither of them win TXF this year.:rolleyes:) or even - dare I say it - Jedward!:eek:

They've already had a married couple of the show (Kenny and Gabby Logan). Now they could have their first set of identical twits*.

Maybe Peter Mandlesson will say yes next year. Or they could try for Gordon Brown. Ed Miliband may also have some spare time next autumn for what I read.:D

*whoops! this is a typo! it should, of course, be an a, not an i :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MOTD continuing to turn in some very strong figures,must be the result of several papers claiming it is past its sell-by date:D
This discussion has been closed.