BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Victoria Derbyshire moaners club. When was their last show on 5 Live or Radio 4?
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Matthew Bannister had no choice and was right to do what he did. He was brought in to make radical changes and send the message that radio 1 had changed.

I think he admits that the bbc should never have let it get to that stage.

5 live is very different and doesn't really need to change. Just small tweaks like every station.

Agreed on all counts. Bannister was right at the time, but it's generally a very bad idea.
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    If you think discussion of valid expenses of a psb & vast costs of Salford out of your licence fee not relevant fine ahoy, don't worry about them others do find them relevant.....

Methinks you doth protest too much.

I didn't say comment on the station was unacceptable. I just suggested that the views of a few people on a forum do not necessarily represent the views of the public at large.

As for the general tone of the discussion - that's fine. Constructive discussion is fine. Some of it blatantly is not, however.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bitchy comments like "let's hope Victoria Derbyshire doesn't return" or remarks about the news controller are based on more than "fair comment" or opinion. They border on - and are frequently - into the realms of abuse.

If you want to know the definition of abuse, go to a football match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    It appears Queen Vic has taken leave to do a documentary on Radio 4. Let's hope they nick her full time.

Derbyshire's a lightweight compared to Garvey or Glover, so maybe Radio 4 are also dumbing down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Derbyshire's a lightweight compared to Garvey or Glover, so maybe Radio 4 are also dumbing down.

Yes please get her off Five Live. Bring back Garvey, Gabby, Fi, Sybil, Diana Madill - ABD Anybody But Derbyshire or Bacon come to that!
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Colin Patterson had a debate on American tv earlier tonight, and he and his 'expert' were talking about American tv and the huge ratings that 'Nashville' enjoys, according to them. In fact Nashville gets pretty desperate ratings and is close to being cancelled. Its only a small point, but shows a lack of research which only people who have a knowledge of American tv ratings would have picked up. Makes you wonder how many other incorrect reports are given out on 5live, which the average person will have no idea is in fact incorrect.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan's been duped ! Thought he was talking to Michael Gray, the former Sunderland player, and turns out he wasn't. Not as good as the Tommy Boyd mix up though.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nolan's been duped ! Thought he was talking to Michael Gray, the former Sunderland player, and turns out he wasn't. Not as good as the Tommy Boyd mix up though.
    Who was he talking to? Someone else called Michael Gray or someone with a completely different name?
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Who was he talking to? Someone else called Michael Gray or someone with a completely different name?

Nolan said about half an hour after the interview, that he hadn't been talking to Michael Gray, (as he thought he was), but he didn't say who it was.
    Forum Member
    If you want to know the definition of abuse, go to a football match.

So everyone's behaving fine on this thread because the abuse being spouted isn't as bad as a football match? Nonsense.

Some of the comments on here have been pointless and pathetic. Constant digs at a presenter's weight, referring to a presenter the poster doesn't know as a person as "that despicable woman", simply calling someone crap without any constructive point whatsoever, and the inevitable bias towards negative comment over positive comment (although that's part of the human condition, so is less of a concern).

Just to balance it and to make sure I'm not falling into the latter point, there have been some perfectly good points made here, and some good discussion. I just wish people could remain constructive and remember the presenters being discussed are at the end of the day fellow human beings.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Colin Patterson had a debate on American tv earlier tonight, and he and his 'expert' were talking about American tv and the huge ratings that 'Nashville' enjoys, according to them. In fact Nashville gets pretty desperate ratings and is close to being cancelled. Its only a small point, but shows a lack of research which only people who have a knowledge of American tv ratings would have picked up. Makes you wonder how many other incorrect reports are given out on 5live, which the average person will have no idea is in fact incorrect.

Depends really. Were they referring specifically to huge ratings here or in the States? I agree that they shouldn't be giving out misleading information at all, but Nashville is a big talking point TV wise right now. On another note, Family Guy was cancelled - twice I think - and look at it now. Nashville has the potential to be the next big thing.

By the way, I don't think it's fair to take what was probably an off the cuff remark about ratings and immediately link that with the notion of "incorrect reports" across the rest of the output. However, I await a whole new thread along the lines of "Five Live Gets Its Facts Wrong - Again!" from certain quarters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edwina Currie doing a superb job on dissecting the monies received by benefit claimants and making it clear they are actually much better off than their synthetic bleating would have you think
    Forum Member
    Edwina Currie doing a superb job on dissecting the monies received by benefit claimants and making it clear they are actually much better off than their synthetic bleating would have you think

Former Conservative MP spins the story to suit a party agenda shocker...
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    Methinks you doth protest too much.

I didn't say comment on the station was unacceptable. I just suggested that the views of a few people on a forum do not necessarily represent the views of the public at large.

As for the general tone of the discussion - that's fine. Constructive discussion is fine. Some of it blatantly is not, however.

Not sure why you only quoted my comment on expenses when I did reply to yours and ahoymeister' s remarks about opinions.....I'm not sure why it's protesting too much to attempt to reply to you....any forum represents the views of those who contribute to it....it can't canvas the rest of the population can it...

the discussion here is up to the people who make it...you may not agree with their tone or comments but it's not up to you or me to decide if it's ok or not it's supposed to be free speech on the net...

As to comments about presenters above,
    nolans weight has only been mentioned couple of times it hasn't been a tirade at all & no one has been totally offensive quite honestly to individuals....
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill Young wrote: »
    Yes please get her off Five Live. Bring back Garvey, Gabby, Fi, Sybil, Diana Madill - ABD Anybody But Derbyshire or Bacon come to that!

Don't agree with Gabby Bill I mean she'd be on there even less than VD with her absences but the rest of your list I do agree with..... :)

Funny how the knowledgeable Nolan spent half an hour talking to the wrong person... :o:D
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Depends really. Were they referring specifically to huge ratings here or in the States? I agree that they shouldn't be giving out misleading information at all, but Nashville is a big talking point TV wise right now. On another note, Family Guy was cancelled - twice I think - and look at it now. Nashville has the potential to be the next big thing.

By the way, I don't think it's fair to take what was probably an off the cuff remark about ratings and immediately link that with the notion of "incorrect reports" across the rest of the output. However, I await a whole new thread along the lines of "Five Live Gets Its Facts Wrong - Again!" from certain quarters.

They were saying its been a big hit, when it clearly hasn't been. It wasn't an off the cuff remark as they clearly said in advance they were going to talk about three hit shows - Game of Thrones, The Bible and Nashville. Ok the first two shows clearly are big hits, but Nashville certainly is not.

As I said its only a minor thing, but it does somewhat lower my trust in 5live when they discuss other issues which I am less knowledgeable about.
    Forum Member
    I see what you mean. Has The Bible aired in the UK yet, or were they talking about shows which are on stateside and coming here soon?
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is the Glen Hoddle Top 10 on for a second time today ? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Green having a hissy fit cos 6-0-6 was delayed by the tennis ?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    Alan Green having a hissy fit cos 6-0-6 was delayed by the tennis ?

Was it actually on then?

I just presumed the whole thing was cancelled and they went straight onto the Glen Hoddle programme (again) once Murray had FINALLY won!

(He did a Henman near the end)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Alan Green certainly acts like a cut.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member

They were probably too busy booking airplane tickets......:D

Enjoyed their tennis coverage yesterday. Usual excellence
This discussion has been closed.