Dont they have Boxing Day in America?

2»

Comments

• Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    My own son went out to the States to live and he tells us that only Christmas Day is a holiday and banks open the next day but as Boxing Day was on Sunday they got two days of but do not forget that in November they were scoffing roast turkey on Independance Day. If he wants Christmas Crackers we have to send them to him also if you want to buy a tea pot over there, well you might as well look for Hen's Teeth as they will be found first.

Eh? There's shitloads of teapots in Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond and many places to buy Christmas Crackers especially online.

There is no Boxing day in the US, in fact apart from the Commonwealth and a few other places there's no Boxing Day in most countries.

Psssst....edit your post, Independence day is July 4th (then I'll edit this bit)
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If they were still celebrating Independence Day in November then it might explain why Americans are so fat ;)

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:

Seconded.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We should not forget that Christmas Day fell on a Saturday this year, yet the United States and many other nations have not even taken a day off in lieu. They are back at work on Monday.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It's just as big there.

NY at Christmas is done up like London only moreso. Americans seem to make an even bigger fuss of Christmas Eve and don't really pay much heed to Boxing Day.

Thank you for this. :)
  • Options
    fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    We should not forget that Christmas Day fell on a Saturday this year, yet the United States and many other nations have not even taken a day off in lieu. They are back at work on Monday.

Do workers not have any rights? They only get 10 days holiday as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    My own son went out to the States to live and he tells us that only Christmas Day is a holiday and banks open the next day but as Boxing Day was on Sunday they got two days of but do not forget that in November they were scoffing roast turkey on Independance Day. If he wants Christmas Crackers we have to send them to him also if you want to buy a tea pot over there, well you might as well look for Hen's Teeth as they will be found first.

The teapot thing is baloney. My grandmother collects them and gave me one in the shape of a kitten when I was about 9. She has a beautiful silver tea service as well.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »

What rights are we missing out on? The holiday was on a Saturday, now it's the 27th back to the grind. Most places wouldn't count Saturday usually as a special day, but if Christmas was on a Sunday they might be closed on Monday. Christmas is the one day of the year that almost everything is closed up even the 24 hour super stores. Thanksgiving used to be like that but not anymore.

Your PTO or Vacation time depends on the job, some places allow to you to take as much time as you want off but in return you don't get paid for the hours you're not there, others have limited but you get paid your full wage or salary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

Not quite all of them. My husband goes back to work on the 4th of Jan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. Some of them get 10 days and some even get more!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    In our US office, Xmas Day and New Year's Day are holidays. If you want any extra time off you can take it out of your *10 day* annual vacation entitlement. Most people will be back to work on the 26th as they prefer to save their meagre vacation days for the summer unless they have taken extra time off to visit family out of town.

In our UK office, most people have taken the full two weeks off from 17 Dec to 4 Jan.

Our US colleagues think we are workshy layabouts.
    I'm not surprised. I think normally it's Christmas Day/Boxing Day, and if they fall across the weekend then it's a couple of days off in lieu. And that's normally it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do we ? :eek:

where do you get your information from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we ? :eek:

where do you get your information from?

A wildly inaccurate and generalising statement about America....probably from this forum :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    A wildly inaccurate and generalising statement about America....probably from this forum :D

True dat. :D
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do UK families do anything special on Christmas Eve? My family has huge family gatherings and party's on Christmas Eve, more so than actually on Christmas Day. Friday most places had a half day, closed early, or weren't open entirely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do UK families do anything special on Christmas Eve? My family has huge family gatherings and party's on Christmas Eve, more so than actually on Christmas Day. Friday most places had a half day, closed early, or weren't open entirely.

My family didn't ever do anything special, it was just the day before Christmas day and asking my husband he hasn't heard of anything special from his region in the UK either. Shops would close early (about 4pm) as far as I recall but it's not a set in stone rule.
    There's no "rules" per se for Christmas Eve that I ever remember hearing about.