Options

Players that never Graced the World Cup?

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a crap cross at a terrible time and all, but it's hardly Ginola murdering France. Maybe the rest of the team could have bucked their ideas up the other games too.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Abedi Pele
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    so here's a question then ..... if FIFA allowed an "all star" team, representing players who's nations didn't qualify, would that be a good thing?

I quite like that idea actually, in theory. In reality it would never work.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    It was a crap cross at a terrible time and all, but it's hardly Ginola murdering France. Maybe the rest of the team could have bucked their ideas up the other games too.

True, and there's also the fact that Ginola gave the ball away on the edge of Bulgaria's box, so they still had to get the ball and go the whole length of the field to score. Surely some blame must go towards the French defenders as well, not just Ginola.
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Severian wrote: »
    No, he missed playing in a World Cup.
    But he made up for it by playing in a few Miss Worlds.

There is a famous story of George lying in bed with a naked Mary Stavin (Miss World) and the waiter arrives in with a few bottles of Dom Perigan champers. Seeing it was George he said " Jesus, George where did it all go wrong".
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    What's this BS about "gracing" a World Cup?????

Countries go to the World Cup.

Some players are great but the country they are from doesn't have a good enough team.

I remember growing up seeing china UAE Egypt at world cups did these countries have players who graced the World Cup??

Great players have gone to world cups but many players who didn't who were also great were just unlucky.

Robbie Earl went to a World Cup should we all be putting posters of him up instead of those who have not????

Pointless thread sorry.

Oh and Zidane isn't French so maybe he would have been on this list if he hadn't done what many have and will do.
    Although he was easily the finest player of his generation.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were 30 non-pointless posts in this supposedly pointless thread before you turned up.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I know he's of Algerian descent, but how is Zidane not French:confused:
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Eddie Gray
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I remember growing up seeing china UAE Egypt at world cups did these countries have players who graced the World Cup??

Luckily most people reading the thread understand what the question means and the correct context of 'graced' and therefore haven't just listed every player to have not appeared. You seem to have missed the point quite spectacularly.
    Robbie Earl went to a World Cup should we all be putting posters of him up instead of those who have not????

This makes no sense.

Zidane's French. 0 for 3 Dan.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    What's this BS about "gracing" a World Cup?????

Countries go to the World Cup.

Some players are great but the country they are from doesn't have a good enough team.

Great players have gone to world cups but many players who didn't who were also great were just unlucky.

Pointless thread sorry.

Oh and Zidane isn't French so maybe he would have been on this list if he hadn't done what many have and will do.
    Although he was easily the finest player of his generation.

One of the worst rants I've ever read topped off by your comment on Zidane. The fact that he was born in Marseille is so irrelevant to his nationality it seems.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jean Pierre Papin never played either.I know Roy Keane played at USA 94, but I still feel robbed that we did not see him in his prime at Japan/South Korea 2002 after the fall out with Mick McCarthy.
  • Options
    ancient wolfancient wolf Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Papin played in 1986 World Cup scored v Canada
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gianfranco Zola only managed a few minutes being sent off after coming on as substitute.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this thread about players that did or didn't play in a World Cup?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »
    One of the worst rants I've ever read topped off by your comment on Zidane. The fact that he was born in Marseille is so irrelevant to his nationality it seems.

The ageing Brian Moore described him as 'The man from Mexico' in one of his senior moments... sadly for Mooro, this was just as Zidane scored in a World Cup Final, presenting a problem for archivists of the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    Eddie Gray

Andy Gray. :p

Put him in with Sharpey in Mexico, Uruguay wouldn't have known what had hit them. :D
  • Options
    tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Ian Dowie that NI winger who was compared to Giggs (Newcastle and Man U)
  • Options
    Mick_SwaggerMick_Swagger Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Gareth Bale
    Aaron Ramsey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Dowie that NI winger who was compared to Giggs (Newcastle and Man U)

Keith Gillespie?
  • Options
    tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Keith Gillespie?
    That's him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keith Gillespie?

I do remember Willie Morgan, an ex-United bloke who was a radio pundit at the time, solemnly announcing on Granada Reports when Gillespie joined Newcastle in the swap for Cole, "Keith Gillespie is going to be one of the. great. players...." (full stops inserted!).

:D
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    If Gillespie hadnt adopted the other aspects of George Bests character he could have had a decent career. Not quite sure he would have reached the level of being missed at a World Cup though!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Kevin Keegan using Gillespie as huge justification for the sale of Andy Cole, saying it wouldn't have happened without the part-exchange. Didn't quite work out as planned.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I remember Kevin Keegan using Gillespie as huge justification for the sale of Andy Cole, saying it wouldn't have happened without the part-exchange. Didn't quite work out as planned.

Having said that we tried to buy him back a year or so later for about £3.5m.