Options

Andrew Lloyd Webber shows

intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
Forum Member
Did anyone else prefer those ALW shows finding the West End stars better than this? Granted the last series fell flat (the Wizard of Oz one) but the first three were so good and the sing offs they did to see who was going to survive was done MUCH better than The Voice IMO

Comments

• Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different types of show looking for different types of artist so apart from both being talent shows you can't compare them really.

The Voice doesn't have sing off's :confused: They were only in the ALW shows to make sure he could save his chosen ones, the same way they are used in TXF.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    Different types of show looking for different types of artist so apart from both being talent shows you can't compare them really.

The Voice doesn't have sing off's :confused: They were only in the ALW shows to make sure he could save his chosen ones, the same way they are used in TXF.
    BiB as he was producing the show this at least has some merit.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Voice doesn't have sing off's :confused:They were only in the ALW shows to make sure he could save his chosen ones, the same way they are used in TXF.

And yet he still ended up with Jodie Prenger as his Nancy, I love the Great British public sometimes. :D:D:D
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Alli-F wrote: »
    And yet he still ended up with Jodie Prenger as his Nancy, I love the Great British public sometimes. :D:D:D

Only because the public vote kept her out of his clutches all the way through so he never had the opportunity to get rid of her - and to be fair - she was absolutely FAN-TAS-TIC in the role...... never really saw the attraction in Jessie (his chosen one!)

It was so funny to watch them trying to trip her up with awful song choices week after week, making her perform early in the running order etc etc - but the public loved her and kept her in and voted her the role.... you could SEE ALW gritting his teeth as he had to send home one of his preferred ones week after week.

Ever wondered why John Barrowman didn't get the job on the Wizard of oz show? He dared to say he supported Jodie over the chosen one in the final!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    And she was absolutely FAN-TAS-TIC in the role...... never really saw the attraction in Jessie (his chosen one!)

Me neither. :confused: her cock-er-ney accent was absolutely hilarious! :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »

... and Connie Fisher as Maria and Lee (interestingzzz) Mead as Jospeph (they could at least have picked the gay one).

They were a bit of a swizzle, all those shows. ALW said they were looking for a "different kind of Nancy" for example, a 'rock and roll' Nancy, an Amy Winehouse Nancy and we ended up with Jodie Prenger from Blackpool ... :)
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a new one later in the year on ITV.

A Jesus Christ Superstar based show, Nathan James from the auditions has apparently made the live shows in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A Jesus Christ Superstar based show, Nathan James from the auditions has apparently made the live shows in it.

That is a much better fit for Nathan than The Voice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry, I was referring to the part in the boxing ring when they had to sing a song together and do different lines of it. The alw shows did this as well but for a sing off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know, I'm really excited, it's my favourite ALW show and Mel C, Chris Moyles and Tim Minchin are in the show. I desperately want to see it, but hubby's not keen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member

Will be interesting to see how much ITV tweak the ALW format. I fear that some of the things that made the shows different is what they will change. I liked that there was little focus on effects, it was all about what they could do.

I loved the ALW shows. I did think they needed a break and whilst I know ALW loves JCS I am not sure that in 2012 it is as saleable as Wizard of Oz. I may bow to his greatenss when the show takes over TV for weeks !! I do also like The Voice. I have tired of X factor based formats. The format of competing singers has come and gone before and I do wonder if we are at the tail end of the current boom. Let's see.... !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bluemotel wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how much ITV tweak the ALW format. I fear that some of the things that made the shows different is what they will change. I liked that there was little focus on effects, it was all about what they could do.

I loved the ALW shows. I did think they needed a break and whilst I know ALW loves JCS I am not sure that in 2012 it is as saleable as Wizard of Oz. I may bow to his greatenss when the show takes over TV for weeks !! I do also like The Voice. I have tired of X factor based formats. The format of competing singers has come and gone before and I do wonder if we are at the tail end of the current boom. Let's see.... !!
    Sadly I don't think so! It's not just the show, its the money from the voting, Money from the released music, money from the tours, and its all about headlines,controversy, keeping the shows in all media formats...even the ones that don't make it as a singer (stacy solomon) are still kept around and propped up as a celeb to sell more.
    A stranglehold that tight is too valuable to let go right now..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluemotel wrote: »

The worst thing for me are the flaming judges - Dawn French and Jason - just bore off - Donovan. I know he was in Priscilla but the guy is a personality vacuum and I love Dawn French, but musicals really? :eek::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Only because the public vote kept her out of his clutches all the way through so he never had the opportunity to get rid of her - and to be fair - she was absolutely FAN-TAS-TIC in the role...... never really saw the attraction in Jessie (his chosen one!)

It was so funny to watch them trying to trip her up with awful song choices week after week, making her perform early in the running order etc etc - but the public loved her and kept her in and voted her the role.... you could SEE ALW gritting his teeth as he had to send home one of his preferred ones week after week.

Ever wondered why John Barrowman didn't get the job on the Wizard of oz show? He dared to say he supported Jodie over the chosen one in the final!

Think the public understood that Dickensian times would age someone horrendously which ALW missed entirely. Jodie had the sass needed for the role.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I was referring to the part in the boxing ring when they had to sing a song together and do different lines of it. The alw shows did this as well but for a sing off.

A 'ring off' instead of a 'sing off' ... :)
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    ... and Connie Fisher as Maria and Lee (interestingzzz) Mead as Jospeph (they could at least have picked the gay one).

They were a bit of a swizzle, all those shows. ALW said they were looking for a "different kind of Nancy" for example, a 'rock and roll' Nancy, an Amy Winehouse Nancy and we ended up with Jodie Prenger from Blackpool ... :)

I tended to ignore ALW's prattling about the type of Maria/Joseph/Nancy/Dorothy he wanted. I always had the impression that he just picked names of well known singers/actors at random. Apparently, he now wants a Freddie Mercury-esq Jesus!:eek::rolleyes::D

I loved the shows, though. They had a real charm about them and the contestants who took part were genuinely talented. The 'missions' were mad, the sing-offs were fascinating and tense (we got to see two contestants singing a duet, so it was easy to compare and contrast), and the farewell songs were epic!:D

I liked three of the four winners (Jodie was the only one I wasn't keen on, but I've warmed to her since) and it was nice to see the winners and other contestants doing well.

I think JCS is an odd choice for a casting show. One of the things that made the others work was their family appeal and the fact that Graham Norton was able to take the proverbial out of the musicals that were being cast via the series and out of the judges and contestants. Given ITV's lack of success with the casting show format (Grease Is The Word), I'm dubious that they can replicate the success of the BBC shows.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Apparently the BBC were nervous about 'you could still be jesus :D' I actually think ITV is a bad place for a casting show like this, they have to massive audiences and even the best BBC ones didn't really break what The Voice is getting now so you risk alienating people who liked those by ITVing it and having a ridiculous amount of ads and then fail to pick up new viewers as the musical doesn't really have a killer song for who they're casting for, the big number is I don't know how to love him in my view. I loved the BBCs shows but I think this is going to be awful :( (Oh and Amanda Holden hosting :O What were they thinking?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Apparently the BBC were nervous about 'you could still be jesus :D' I actually think ITV is a bad place for a casting show like this, they have to massive audiences and even the best BBC ones didn't really break what The Voice is getting now so you risk alienating people who liked those by ITVing it and having a ridiculous amount of ads and then fail to pick up new viewers as the musical doesn't really have a killer song for who they're casting for, the big number is I don't know how to love him in my view. I loved the BBCs shows but I think this is going to be awful :( (Oh and Amanda Holden hosting :O What were they thinking?)
    ALW will be looking for another Ian Gillan ;)
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

Also there's "You're not Jesus!", (to the winner) "You are Jesus!" and (introducing the winner's final song) "Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...your Jesus!":D

Jesus has the song Gethsemane. However, it's a long song (around 6 mins) which will make it difficult to use within the TV show. It's also not really suitable for a 'happy clappy' group song (another of the BBC casting show staples). The problem is that Jesus tends to sing a lot with others in the musical. I think Gethsemane is his only solo.

It makes me wonder how they're going to do the farewell song. With Maria, it was So Long, Farewell, with Joseph it was a combination of two songs - Poor, poor Joseph and Close Every Door, with Nancy it was Be Back Soon/As Long As He Needs Me and with Dorothy it was Somewhere Over The Rainbow. What are they going to do with JCS? At a guess I'd say a combination of The Last Supper (the apostles' part) and Gethsemane. But what about the choreography? They're going to have to go some to beat the sheer kitch and all-around gob-smackingness of the Dorothy farewell (complete with removal of footwear and floating into the air on a large wooden moon)!:eek::D
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Jason Donovan! Dawn French?
    Forget it...
  • Options
    crazybabecrazybabe Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    ALW shows were much better - and the judges gave good criticisms and positive help and advice to the contestants, whereas these judges (apart from Jessie J) are pretty well pointless with their comments with sentences of one or two words, then they have nothing helpful to add :rolleyes:
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So every week Graham will be saying you could be Jesus and there can only be one Jesus:D
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    So every week Graham will be saying you could be Jesus and there can only be one Jesus:D

Amanda Holden is hosting. :)