Options

Got off on the wrong foot with colleague

EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi DSers,

Today we had a new starter at work - we're a very small company and work in close proximity to each other, so getting on well is important. Unfortunately, today I got off on the wrong foot with my new colleague.

Technically, we are equals, though his job title is different to mine and includes the word "manager" (though he isn't actually the manager OF anyone, just in a department by himself)

This morning he came to my desk and asked if he could have a cup of coffee. Thinking he wanted to be shown the kitchen facilities, I got up, picked up my mug and said yes, the tea and coffee facilities for everyone and I'd show him where the kettle was. He seemed a bit "off" with this, but as I was head-down in research I wasn't paying the most attention :o it was only when he didn't start to follow me that I caught on that he had meant that he wanted me to make it for him.

Embarrassed, I explained that we generally took it in turns to do rounds, rather than the junior members of staff (which I am not, but I am the youngest and only woman) making tea and coffee for the others on request. I thought I had explained this politely, and then went to make him his coffee, along with everyone else's.

I came back, and my manager mentioned to me on the quiet that the new guy had complained that I had been disrespectful to him, and refused to make him a coffee :eek: I was taken aback, as I had said/done no such thing and also didn't think it boded well that this guy was saying these sorts of things to my colleagues.

I kept my distance for the rest of the day, now I am veering between worrying and seething. I don't know whether to forget all about it, or talk to this guy.

Has anything experienced anything similar? How did you resolve it?

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be seething too. It would be different if you had asked him if he wanted a cup of coffee but there is no way he should assume that you are going to do this for him on an ongoing basis. Its a power struggle and he is trying to assert his dominance over you. You're going to have to watch him and make sure your boss knows what really happened. If the office policy is that everyone takes turns it might be a good thing if one of your other colleagues could mention this to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    The boss should have mentioned to him that turns were taken and that you were not the skivvy of the office.
    I hope he doesnt ask you again, if he does just reiterate where the kitchen is. Watch him though if hes going to be like this straight away whats he going to turn into?
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it's quite telling that he deliberately chose the youngest person and the only woman in the office to approach. Why didn't he ask any of the men? I would be absolutely seething too. I wouldn't say anything else yet, but perhaps you can speak quietly to some of your other colleagues, and then if the general rule is to take turns, for everyone to make a point of saying 'it's my turn for the drinks round...' and making sure they include him as if nothing had happened, and unless he's a complete arse, he should get the message that that's how things are done in your office.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions, it is a relief that nobody has said "You're making a fuss over nothing" as I did worry that I was. :)

My boss is lovely and he would say something if I asked him to, I am fairly sure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    I'd be more interested in what your boss said to him in reply - did they set him straight or have they (whether actively or passively) left him with the impression that he was right to feel aggrieved?

And how did he get his coffee for the rest of the day?
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you can make up for it by waiting on him hand and foot tomorrow... Joking! No, I'd be flabbergasted if I were you. Maybe you could make a joke of it and say something like "haha, what made you think I'm the office skivvy, then?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put the kettle on love .
    Tea with 5 sugars .....

Sorry I'm only joking of course .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be more interested in what your boss said to him in reply - did they set him straight or have they (whether actively or passively) left him with the impression that he was right to feel aggrieved?

And how did he get his coffee for the rest of the day?

My boss told he that he had "assured him that I wouldn't have meant it like that", so I assume that he would have explained. To my knowledge he hasn't made a round himself yet, but it wasn't "my turn" all day because it's the month end (I am "do not disturb" at month end) so I haven't had to confront the issue of making him a coffee either.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a prized knob to me. You could forgive mistakenly assuming someone was an office junior because they are young, but to then go and complain to the boss that you wouldn't make his drink for him? :eek: On his first day, no less!

Personally, I would have told the boss exactly what happened, that I was offended that this new guy would show such a disrespectful attitude and tell the boss to put him straight or I'd do it myself. But maybe that's just me!

You're not his secretary. He needs to be told that and told it soon, before the idea that he can get away with such behaviour sets in.
  • Options
    mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing happened at my old work when a new man joined the team. The girl it happened to was quite insulted actually, told our manager who then put the new guy straight that he is quite capable of making his own coffee. He didn't ask her again..
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just say he touched you up and get him sacked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it were me I would have preferred my boss to have told him that actually I was right in what I'd said, that I'm not there to make drinks for everyone else and that all staff take turns.

I would much rather he'd said that than 'she wouldn't have meant it like that'. Much less room for misunderstanding, and no implication that you are someone who needs humouring or placating.

You may not see it like that, but from what you've described your boss had the opportunity to choose whether to back you up in front of a new member of staff with ideas above his station (for whatever reason, whether chauvinistic or not), and he chose not to take it.

Make sure you stick to your guns if he asks you to make him one again, don't get drawn into a conversation, just politely remind him that 'we take it in turns here', and carry on with your work.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was him who got off on the wrong foot, not you. What an idiot behaving like that on his first day in a new job, and then, the flippin cheek, complaining about you.

I'd talk to him and put him right, in the most polite terms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    Just say he touched you up and get him sacked.

LOL

And the award for best reply goes to... !
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    My boss told he that he had "assured him that I wouldn't have meant it like that", so I assume that he would have explained. To my knowledge he hasn't made a round himself yet, but it wasn't "my turn" all day because it's the month end (I am "do not disturb" at month end) so I haven't had to confront the issue of making him a coffee either.

So your boss had no problem with the guy expecting you to make coffee, only confident that you wouldn't have refused rudely? Not really sure I would have been satisfied with that - better to have made it clear what the informal policy was.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Sounds like a prized knob to me. You could forgive mistakenly assuming someone was an office junior because they are young, but to then go and complain to the boss that you wouldn't make his drink for him? :eek: On his first day, no less!

Personally, I would have told the boss exactly what happened, that I was offended that this new guy would show such a disrespectful attitude and tell the boss to put him straight or I'd do it myself. But maybe that's just me!

You're not his secretary. He needs to be told that and told it soon, before the idea that he can get away with such behaviour sets in.

I was about to post exactly the same thing! He sounds a right arrogant so and so to me and I would absolutely take no nonsense from him at all - who does he think he is, throwing his weight around like this on his first day?! And yes, it is very telling, as someone else said, to ask the only woman there to make his drink, a prize mysogynist by the sounds of things and I hope the boss put him very firmly in his place. This man will be trouble unless kept in check.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your boss had no problem with the guy expecting you to make coffee, only confident that you wouldn't have refused rudely? Not really sure I would have been satisfied with that - better to have made it clear what the informal policy was.

My boss isn't his boss, sadly, so he may have been reticent to tell him off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For next time, as loud as you can so everyone else can hear:

"Aw, did you forget where the kitchen is, honey? Well, no problem, come with me and I'll show you again. If you're lucky, I'll even show you how to plug in the kettle and switch it on!"

Then take him to the kitchen, switch the kettle on and say:

"Mine's a coffee, black with two sugars. Cheers love!"

Then wink and walk away.

When guys are being sexist to me, I go out of my way to patronise them but in such a way where if I was pulled up on it, I could argue I was being polite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He could have set him straight and backed you up without telling him off. It became his business when a new member of staff from another team saw fit to inappropriately complain about a member of his staff.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On his very first day he goes scuttling off to your manager and complains about you being [heave] 'disrespectful' [heave]?

Keep a very close eye on him - and make sure your manager knows exactly what happened.
  • Options
    Juliet_G_Juliet_G_ Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Am sharing everyone else's outrage! You asked if you should talk to him; I'd say no.

He's either a total knob or nervously came out with a load of crap due to first day nerves (giving him the benefit of the doubt, that I confess I don't really believe at all haha).

Either way, best all round to literally pretend it didn't happen, greet him with a cheery 'good morning' as you do the rest of the office & act totally normally (maybe get the first round of teas in to get it out of the way & help you stop stressing). If he continues to be off with you, & expects your colleagues to side with him, just in the door, rather than you, a long term (& presumably respected!) member of the team, he'll be disappointed. Let us know how you get on!
  • Options
    c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bet the cheeky sods not even paid into tea and coffee club.
  • Options
    KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounds like an absolute condescending, self important moron. I wouldn't worry about it. Actually I'd never speak to him following that.
  • Options
    SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others who have said make sure your boss knows exactly what has happened.

I have been in a similar situation and I would bet my eye teeth he will start asking you to photocopy for him and laminate things, do his shredding and all the little crappy jobs.

Treating you like the skivvy purely because you are the only woman in the office is sexual discrimination and it's not on.
  • Options
    eurogrrleurogrrl Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Wow - the cheek of some people. I think I would've preferred your boss to say something like "I'm sorry you felt that way. One of the things you'll find about our culture here is that we like to share duties like that - we feel it's beneficial to team-building. I've worked with Emmersonne a long time, and I've never known her to be rude to other staff members." The "she didn't mean it like that" is pretty weak - I'm sure your boss didn't want to trample this guy on his first day, but he needs to give the impression that he won't allow others to treat his staff with disrespect.

I'd suggest acting as though it was a misunderstanding, but I'd start documenting your interactions with this guy. The words "sexual harassment" came to mind immediately, and while one instance doesn't necessarily constitute sexual harassment, multiple run-ins certainly can. I'm sure the complaining to your boss was his pathetic attempt to boost his own ego (anyone else would've been too embarrassed), but if it happens again, I'd go to your boss immediately after setting him straight again. Don't give this guy any chance to trash you to your boss - he sounds like a nightmare on two feet.