BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian F 2012 wrote: »
    And they gave it a stupid title as well - "Whats eating Luis Suarez". a cheap shot, and as the previous poster says, a subject done to death, not least by %Live themselves.I caught part of it, and they really were scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'm a football fan, but as they did not have the rights to cover the game live they could have showed some imagination and used the time to cover other sports.
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I agree that the tile of the programme was a really cheap shot by the BBC.

Admittedly I didn't hear the documentary, but from reading transcripts of quotes from people interviewed on it - many of whom were Suarez's former teammates and coaches at Nacional, Groningen and Ajax - in articles both on the BBC Sport website and in the press, it sounded like it was actually a really interesting programme.

It's just a shame they'd "done a BBC Three" as it were and given an otherwise worthwhile and promising sounding premise for a documentary a stupid title which will no doubt have put a few people off listening to it.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredible isn't it ?What earth shattering news this was.. ' Radio presenter has his work times schedule altered by new boss ! ' Every time I have tuned into the Livesey programme for the the last 4/5 weeks to get some actual news or sports results,all I heard was him wittering on about the fact that he was leaving his late night spot and he would have to get up at 3 am to do his new weekend morning shows ! He seemed to think he was such a ' star ',popular, an institution and up himself, that he begrudged that fact that J.Wall had the nerve to move him from his present spot and all we had was Livesey sticking 2 fingers up to Wall with a prolonged and drawn out goodbye..Why can't these 5live people leave with some dignity and just broadcast they are working at a different time a few days before going ? It' s my theory all along that they think themselves so important that they themselves want to make the news and listeners should be writing to the Times or their MP because they think a 5live presenter will be such a loss.From what I heard it was so over the top but a few minutes of a broadcaster milking every minute was enough for me.Good grief he has only been broadcasting on 5live a few years.Other people do have their work times changed you know.

Sorry Bill Nicholson is going, he was so precise in his USA Today spot and made it all sound very interesting.He was so humble they he didn't need to have a big fanfare for his retiring and he has been on 5live ever since I can remember.

I agree, Tony Livesey had a hell of an idea of his own importance & could also sometimes be quite critical of those on his team. I reckon 5 Live moved him because he was getting too big for his boots !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I agree, Tony Livesey had a hell of an idea of his own importance & could also sometimes be quite critical of those on his team. I reckon 5 Live moved him because he was getting too big for his boots !

Yes, weekend breakfast will be ideal. Most people are lying in until well after the show has finished.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, as the Beeb is supposed to attract the brightest & the best are Tony Livesey & Phil Williams really the best they can do ? !
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd tuned into a Sarah Millican sketch tbh.
    Strangely Sarah Millican is from South Shields! They all talk like that from there ;)
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even by Nolan's standards a 'what would you say to Nigel Evans tonight' to a close friend of his is a crass question.

Not crass enough to prevent it being broadcast twice though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole of 5 Live needs a revamp.

Nicky Campbell, Rachel Burden & George Reilly need breaking up. As it's going far too school playground stuff.

Victoria Derbyshire - Shelagh Fogarty - Richard Bacon are a waste of 6 hours during the day.

Drive - Peter Allen is an old goat. And what's the point of Anna Foster getting the gig. She's only there half the week.

Up All Night - Rhod is doing it from the US. And Dotun has pointless phone-ins most of the time.
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nicky Campbell, Rachel Burden & George Reilly need breaking up. As it's going far too school playground stuff.

Victoria Derbyshire - Shelagh Fogarty - Richard Bacon are a waste of 6 hours during the day.

Drive - Peter Allen is an old goat. And what's the point of Anna Foster getting the gig. She's only there half the week.

Up All Night - Rhod is doing it from the US. And Dotun has pointless phone-ins most of the time.
    I expect most ordinary listeners will have had a similar reaction to this post as I did: I agree with bits and disagree with other bits.

But the questions that are raised by such a post involve asking what it is, then, that the poster wants from 5 Live; and which presenters he would put in after this mega-cull.

My own preferences would be for replacements for Richard Bacon and Dotun Adebayo. Who would I replace them with? Haven't a clue! (Except having Simon Mayo back in afternoons would be good). Stephen Nolan concerns me because of his over-sensationalising and cheap questioning.

In general, I would like to end the dumbing down, and I would get rid of interruptions to normal 5 Live programming in the shape of overnight golf, baseball, etc., which could go onto Sports Extra.

I'd like to see the return of certain former 5 Live presenters like Fi Glover (no comparison between Fi and Livesey or Phil Williams on the late show) and Julian Worricker.

Peter Allen would, I am sure, smile at being described as an "old goat", as I'm sure he has been called much worse, but I would like more presenters of his calibre - presenters who can ask pithy questions and get to the truth.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought 5 Live did a sterling job on the last set of games in the Championship yesterday.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member

Tony Livesey was important to me, he saved me from grief after having to listen to the dire Anthony Davis on LBC, Tony was my saviour and I'll be forever thankful to him for that. Tony offered me an alternative listen with alternative opinions, not just his but the other callers who he interacted with. Those of us who appreciate late night talk radio may understand what I'm saying as there's not much choice out there.

Both Tony Livesey and Stephen Nolan have my thanks for their late evening slots, they are both totally listenable and I'm going to sadly miss the former. As for Stephen Nolan ... don't you damn well even think about jumping ship and that's an absolute ORDER!!
  • Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interested in the post a couple of pages back about James Alexander Gordon & how his voice has deteriorated in reading the football results on Saturday. I had also noticed this & yesterday it was Kevin Howells (usually cricket) reading the results yesterday at 5pm, not JAG.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    droopsnout wrote: »
    I expect most ordinary listeners will have had a similar reaction to this post as I did: I agree with bits and disagree with other bits.

But the questions that are raised by such a post involve asking what it is, then, that the poster wants from 5 Live; and which presenters he would put in after this mega-cull.

My own preferences would be for replacements for Richard Bacon and Dotun Adebayo. Who would I replace them with? Haven't a clue! (Except having Simon Mayo back in afternoons would be good). Stephen Nolan concerns me because of his over-sensationalising and cheap questioning.

In general, I would like to end the dumbing down, and I would get rid of interruptions to normal 5 Live programming in the shape of overnight golf, baseball, etc., which could go onto Sports Extra.

I'd like to see the return of certain former 5 Live presenters like Fi Glover (no comparison between Fi and Livesey or Phil Williams on the late show) and Julian Worricker.

Peter Allen would, I am sure, smile at being described as an "old goat", as I'm sure he has been called much worse, but I would like more presenters of his calibre - presenters who can ask pithy questions and get to the truth.

I detect in this and other comments on 5 live a desire to return to shall we call it a Golden Era of the station. When it comes to looking back to supposed better times I am reminded of the late Ray Moore's comment on the Green Shoots of Recovery "I missed it I must have been in the bathroom at the time."

First on the subject of bias it's nothing new. I recall the BBC getting it in the neck from labour following their big win in the 1960s and from the Tories in 1970 after Ted Heath's victory.

Second I can remember in 2005 reading on the then 5 live website grumbles about dumbing down.

We shouldn't also forget the criticisms the BBC faced when it launched 5 live. I recall the then head of BECTU calling it Radio Bloke. There were also some Turkeys in the early days(remember Women on Top?).

All this is not to say that Julian Worricker, Fi Glover Jane Garvey and Eddie Mair weren't anything other than excellent but they have all moved on and even if five hadn't moved to Salford they would not come back. The one who might have remained would have been Simon Mayo but I am not 100% sure about that.

Speaking of moving on there are different pressures applying now than when the station first started. We now have Twitter and Facebook. Our attention spans have decreased. Competition from Talksport nationally and LBC in London is much sharper. Add in Internet Stations and other sources of news and you have a totally different climate. One other thing, the BBC is under huge pressure to put more women on air so when thinking of replacements for Victoria and Sheila that needs to be considered.

I am not defending everything 5 live does. Most if not all the trailers make my teeth grind and I still struggle with Mister Bacon and forgive me I can't cope with Danny Baker.

I was interested in the comments about Livesey and Nolan. I note in passing that both got praise here when they sat in on the Derbyshire show. This leads me to wonder whether on their regular shows it's editorial decisions on subject matter that rule.

Finally the comment about Anna Foster not being full time seems a tad harsh. John Humphrys isn't full time either.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nicky Campbell, Rachel Burden & George Reilly need breaking up. As it's going far too school playground stuff..

Well you seem to have got part of your wish already.....the trouble is it's resulted in George Reilly finally getting what he wanted which is a main show presenters job.......

Unfortunately this means we now have to put up with him on with Caroline barker on Saturday & Sunday mornings..... :yawn:

Saturday's ok I switch BBC London on for jo goode & Simon Lederman.....but this morning was so dire I switched to James max on lbc who I can stand marginally more than George Reilly or Stephen Nolan.......truly awful.....have to find another station on Sunday mornings now.....:(
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member

Almost 100% in accordance with my views, apart from Mayo who I find almost as gushing and smarmy as Bacon. The oik who does the film reviews with him is even worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member

Lot of sense in these posts particularly re Derbyshire, Foggarty, Bacon and Foster during the day. Personally I don't mind Burden, Campbell, Riley and Allen as they deliver hard news as against the tittle tattle we get during the day.

I did think Riley and Caroline Barker (who seems to be growing into her role) did a good job this morning and made me wonder why the need for the egotistical day time presenters we have at present.

I certainly miss the likes of Gabby, Mayo, Fi and Inverdale but there is little talent in the wings. I like Ian Pane and he always gets my vote for regularly crossing the BECTU picket lines when asked to do so.
  • droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I detect in this and other comments on 5 live a desire to return to shall we call it a Golden Era of the station. When it comes to looking back to supposed better times I am reminded of the late Ray Moore's comment on the Green Shoots of Recovery "I missed it I must have been in the bathroom at the time."
    Which only goes to show that the recovery Moore missed was short. Or perhaps he was just after a soundbite.

By talking of a "Golden Era" you are putting words in my mouth, but to some degree you are right. After all, Allen and Garvey at breakfast were extremely good. So much better than the LCD tosh that seems to be on our breakfast plates these days.
    All this is not to say that Julian Worricker, Fi Glover Jane Garvey and Eddie Mair weren't anything other than excellent but they have all moved on
    Interesting. What you say implies that moving to Radio 4 is career advancement - and you're probably right. What I would like is for 5 Live to get its teeth back, establish its place as a serious rolling news and sports station (and, yes, including its daytime magazine programmes), and maybe even "poach" back some of its better presenters. In other words, to become a station with as much importance and cachet as other mainstream national BBC stations. It could then recruit and retain staff of high calibre.
    We now have Twitter and Facebook. Our attention spans have decreased. Competition from Talksport nationally and LBC in London is much sharper.
    That is plumbing depths greater even than 5 Live's current level! I would like 5 Live to move in the opposite direction, to demand our attention for a full ten minutes (or even more!), to present news and to discuss issues with some depth, rather than ask for text messages about urinating next to someone famous. 5 Live has more time for news analysis than Radio 4 which has to fit in arts and culture, science, comedy, and so on.

We don't have to accept helplessly and hopelessly that we are becoming a nation of morons.
    Add in Internet Stations and other sources of news and you have a totally different climate.
    I would be really grateful if you could point me in the direction of internet news and sports stations whose language is British English.
    I was interested in the comments about Livesey and Nolan. I note in passing that both got praise here when they sat in on the Derbyshire show. This leads me to wonder whether on their regular shows it's editorial decisions on subject matter that rule.
    I expect that is the case. In appointing staff, decisions will be taken about the style of the presenter wanted and how well that fits in with the nature of the programmes envisaged. Low expectations won't require cutting edge, thoughtful, incisive, challenging presenters.

I regret now giving names of former 5 Live presenters and saying I would like them back. What I should have expressed is a desire to have new presenters with intelligence, presence, skills, personality, insight, common sense and communication skills just as highly developed as those of the people I mentioned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've seen comments about Dotun having lots of phone-ins each of his 4 nights, but I don't think that this is the point. If you actually listen for more than a week you will find that he has exactly the same damn phone-ins each week.
    One night it's football in Africa and South America (and players from those areas but playing in the UK)
    Another phone-in is to ask a question of a couple of non-entities who live in New York.
    There is "what song comes next on our soundtrack to Up All Night". This is a chance for Dotun to pretend not to sing, but to be able to boast about musicians that he has interviewed. It has also been on his show for several years.
    You get the idea. No imagination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Well you seem to have got part of your wish already.....the trouble is it's resulted in George Reilly finally getting what he wanted which is a main show presenters job.......

Unfortunately this means we now have to put up with him on with Caroline barker on Saturday & Sunday mornings..... :yawn:
    Nah, George seems to of become the rent-a-host on 5Live.

When the regulars are not there, or during christmas, bank holidays or on strike. That's when he's the main host.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the questions that are raised by such a post involve asking what it is, then, that the poster wants from 5 Live; and which presenters he would put in after this mega-cull..
    I'd give Phil Williams a slot during the day. And bring Chris Warburton & Caroline Barker in as main weekday hosts somewhere.

Also, Peter Allen is an old goat. But he does a fine job.

I'm not talking a presenter mega-cull. I'm talking about a cull of the current awful shedule of rubbish.
    Forum Member
    I'd give Phil Williams a slot during the day. And bring Chris Warburton & Caroline Barker in as main weekday hosts somewhere.

Also, Peter Allen is an old goat. But he does a fine job.

I'm not talking a presenter mega-cull. I'm talking about a cull of the current awful shedule of rubbish.

Agree with everything you say except Warburton - he is already to far up himself and he hasn't even made it. I hope he won't!
  • stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When i was listening last week one of his team ( can't remember who it was) said something like 'question is i wonder if your move is a promotion or a demotion ' Tony quickly fired back ' definitely a promotion'
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, George seems to of become the rent-a-host on 5Live.

When the regulars are not there, or during christmas, bank holidays or on strike. That's when he's the main host.

Well unfortunately he's not in for main host's holiday as Phil Williams is taking over livesey slot there's now a weekend slot to fill.....now he may just be temp as I don't know who is really taking over but it seemed he was firmly in there! :)
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake1981 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the first hour and a half of Nolan's show last night
    Listen on sundays to Nolans show. He annoyed me when he talked about his weight on the phone to the caller. Also, do you or anyone else feel he's extremely rude to Charles Woolf? He always interjects and takes a different tone to Woolf than to the other guest. For example: Last night Owen Jones was on and he spoke for ages more than Woolf, as soon as Woolf gave views Nolan interupted and was not fair. Had to turn off for a few moments. Really unacceptable for an adult to talk that way to another adult. Cut it out Nolan.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i was listening last week one of his team ( can't remember who it was) said something like 'question is i wonder if your move is a promotion or a demotion ' Tony quickly fired back ' definitely a promotion'

Thought only myself found Tony dull and the show dragged. Phil's a great interviewer and not sycophantic and biased as some can be.Would have loved to see Dotun ( my fav) or Colin Patterson on the 10 to 1 slot. Dotun deserves a promotion, Sorry Bill's going from USA Today. WLT send a message to that man.
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I thought 5 Live did a sterling job on the last set of games in the Championship yesterday.

I agree and i would noy critisise their coverage of sport at all as it is excellent and impartial with in the main quality presenters. It is the dross that exists daytime 9.00am - 4pm and no solution in sight!
This discussion has been closed.