New Aerial, £200

NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
Forum Member
We need a new aerial on the house, the sitting room doesn't get a siginal off a portable aerial, I phoned up 3 local companies and all said between £180 to £220 for a new aerial to be fitted to the house, that sounds like a ripoff to me :eek:, it's only a standard 2 story semi detached house.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,514
    Forum Member
    Fit it yourself then, a lot depends on what is needed - but many aerial installers commonly charge a LOT of money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    That's an awful lot of money!

I assume the new aerial is gold plated and comes with solid silver coax?
  • WendoleneWendolene Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I paid £75 all in for my Mum-in-Law. Got him from the local paper. It was bit of a chance, but he came to time and did a good clean install. I would say £200 for a semi was rather steep. Go elsewhere.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would be if its just an aerial with no amplifier, and only 1 outlet. Add on an amp plus a outlets in a few rooms and it would sound about right to me.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    When I got my aerial fitted, I went for the cheapest quote - which turned out to be misleading (I think it was the cheapest they would possibly do an aerial for, with no accounting for location or VAT). They guy came round and recommended an aerial "this is fine for your standard analogue guv, but if you go for this quite a lot more expensive one I'll chuck in a signal booster for free".

Given that I was receiving everything except mux B on a probably 1970s indoor aerial with slightly bent poles and surface rust visible in a few places, and I could even get two muxes on a bit of wire with no aerial attached to the top, I went for the cheap one after a bit of arguing. "well I could do you that one guv, but I can't guarantee your Freeview channels, and you really ought to go for this somewhat more pricey model with all the boosters and stuff that are almost certainly overkill even if it is being split off to two rooms"

Anyway, it cost me a couple of quid under £100, rather than over £200 for the one he was trying to upsell me to.

Turns out the cheap one didn't get all the Freeview channels. In fact, it got precisely none of them because the idiot pointed the thing at the wrong transmitter (how is this even possible with all their signal testing equipment?!). Once he had turned it round - and I wasn't planning on letting him leave until it worked - everything came through load and clear, 100% signal quality, and it has been rock solid ever since.

Moral of the story: ignore any upselling, and get somebody who actually knows what they're doing.

In retrospect I should have gone for one of the other quotes, although they were all the same or more than I ended up paying.
  • goggledgoggled Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there no people who have had aerials fitted, who could recommend a fitter?
    I'd much rather go by personal recommendations than ads etc. Also price isn't everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how much you want to spend, but Humax do aerial installs on their website..One standard aerial install costs £159 there are more details below

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=88011&cat=access
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or go to www.rdi-lb.tv all their installers come recommended & have passed all relevant courses to do with aerial installation
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Some house insurance policies can cover re-installs, but insist that any work done meets Health and Safety regulations. (Some, not all, installers do not follow HSE guidelines)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CAI registered installers supposedly comply with HSE regs. But I witnessed one recently who didn't even wear a hard hat - never mind secure his ladder to the wall. The high price is supposed to cover the cost of setting everything up so they can work safely, but most of them prefer to put their lives at risk and pocket the extra.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 for an aerial is a RIP OFF, I don't care what anyone else says.

Even being really generous, the parts are not going to cost more than £50, so £150 labour for a couple of hours work I am afraid to say is a RIP OFF.

Yes EVERYONE (yes even me) has to comply with health and safety regulations and pay our Public Liability insurance etc, but those overheds are small and cannot account for people charging so much. They charge that much because they can, and there are enough people willing (or at least prepared) to pay it.

Going back to the example of the £200 aerial, so charging £150 labour for a couple of hours work. Do you really think £75 per hour is a reasonable rate? No, I didn't think so. Considering I just spent some money on car repairs this week, my local garage charged £40 per hour labour. I thought that was expensive but given the premesis, equipment, tools and machinery they have to buy and maintain, it's not so unreasonable. For a man with a van, a couple of ladders and some tools to charge nearly twice as much is clearly unreasonable.

So either shop arround, or do it yourself. Look in the Yellow pages, not at the big colour glossy adverts (which cost a fortune) but at the small linage adverts, and look for someone close to you that hasn't spent all his profits on advertising.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it sounds a lot and the OP is in the NE, but prices are higher in the SE and London. Garages down here charge a lot more than £40 ph. :D:D
  • gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    We need a new aerial on the house, the sitting room doesn't get a siginal off a portable aerial, I phoned up 3 local companies and all said between £180 to £220 for a new aerial to be fitted to the house, that sounds like a ripoff to me :eek:, it's only a standard 2 story semi detached house.

Following the recent Channel change for Freeview from Rowridge I had to have a new aerial fitted-total cost was £150.
    I considered this reasonable as the aerial itself was around £75 and following the installation the installer had to 'optomise' reception over all channels and then do signal strength and quality checka as well.
    I now have perfect reception on all Muxes in all weather.
    The days of being able to point a cheap aerial in approximately the right direction are,I think,a thing of the past!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I know it sounds a lot and the OP is in the NE, but prices are higher in the SE and London. Garages down here charge a lot more than £40 ph. :D:D

suggest PD doesn't get a beamer, they charge £100-£120 per hour.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ma9mwah wrote: »
    suggest PD doesn't get a beamer, they charge £100-£120 per hour.

No chance, can't aford one. Subaru and VW only in this household. Cheap and reliable.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    No chance, can't aford one.
    That's 'coz you don't charge 75 quid/hour :)
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone know how much an extra aerial point cost?

i have an outdoor aerial and an aerial point downstairs but wondering how much an extra one up in the bedroom would cost roughly
  • Old DudeOld Dude Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who has a bungalow in a very small development that was built for older people. They all own their properties but a management company maintains certain aspects of the place. The residents were told a couple of weeks ago that the communal aerial distribution system would not work after DSO and that they would need to pay £1300 from some central maintenance fund to have it upgraded. Naturally they were all pretty upset.

I took him a freeview box round and reception was already indicated as strength 8 quality 100% across the band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends where you live, what you live in, how bad a reception you get, how many points you want.
    Parts as mentioned would be £50-70max, but recabling a few points will obviously be a fair bit of work, however I am in sight of my TX and bought a log periodic from ebay and cabled it up myself in the loft and get a perfect reception.

Do your home as to what you may need, using wolfbane or the dtv website (trade version) predictors.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to install electrics. For a local company.
    Domestic stuff.

Was £45 for the first double socket, £25 for multiples.

£200 for an aerial (I knew some fitters) maybe a little steep.
    Haggle...go for £150???