Walking Stereotypes

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Scrolllock wrote: »
    Tourists from Texas and the rest of the southern portion of America typically wear cowboy hats and Hawaiian shirts??

And why the distinction between Texas and other southern states, It's not like Britons would be able to notice the difference between someone from Texas or any other southern American state.

Some stereotypes are well based in reality and some simply aren't. Some are just ridiculous.

I'm not even going to bother commenting any further.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Yeah, I question that one too. I drank a lot of beer in America and it was always cold. However, my grandfather, who was stationed here during the war, is very fond of complaining about the warm beer that was served to him in the pubs.

As you know, I am a sorority girl so true to form, I spent a lot of time drinking beer. Warm beer did not flow from kegs. in fact, one place kept pitchers and glasses in the freezer.
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, but that is why they are only stereotypes. In any group some fit the stereotype, most don't.

It's a thread about those who fit the stereotypes after all, not those who don't. I think everyone here is intelligent enough to know that not all Texans or Southerners are like that, but some are for example.

That's not what I said.

A stereotype is essentially a generalization. Some generalizations are valid and some are not. I was not referring to an absolute for you to be saying "I think everyone here is intelligent enough to know that not all Texans or Southerners are like that."

It's not even approaching a valid generalization, hence my remarks.
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I'm not even going to bother commenting any further.

That would be fine buts its unfortunate, and a bit ironic, that you end your comments with a comment that says nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not what I said.

A stereotype is essentially a generalization. Some generalizations are valid and some are not. I was not referring to an absolute for you to be saying "I think everyone here is intelligent enough to know that not all Texans or Southerners are like that."

It's not even approaching a valid generalization, hence my remarks.

There is the stereotype of the loud, overweight, ignorant American tourist of a certain age dressed in shorts, loud shirt, socks with sandals and a baseball cap. I've encountered several on my travels.
  • Um_BongoUm_Bongo Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    When I first moved to Brittany, France a few years back I had a surprise that was all down to me stereotyping people.

I was in a local town when I saw two groups of aggressive looking teenage hoodies walking towards each other. There was about ten members in each gang. My immediate thought was 'oh s*** its going to kick off now'. The groups then stopped and facing each other went on to shake the hand of every member of the opposite group. Not a word was said and eventually when all the hand shaking was finished they carried on walking in opposite directions. I was dumbstruck.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...
    Stereotypes exist because there are stereotypes. Someone didn't sit in a room one day and make them all up.

of course stereotypes exist because people fill them but the danger comes when people are automatically judged by the stereotype they seem to fit

I wonder if anyone doesnt fit a stereotype to some degree?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    That would be fine buts its unfortunate, and a bit ironic, that you end your comments with a comment that says nothing.

I'm sorry, but you just seem to be after an argument or confrontation to be honest.

This is a lighthearted thread about some people who fit the stereotypes that we have, that is all it is.

Don't take it so seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but you just seem to be after an argument or confrontation to be honest.

This is a lighthearted thread about some people who fit the stereotypes that we have, that is all it is.

Don't take it so seriously.

That's why I didn't bother continuing, there's no point giving them the satisfaction.